IGNORED

Considering a 2008 Venture

Hi all. I value your input and would like to present you with my current situation and see what you all think.

My wife and I were out riding yesterday and happened upon a Victory MC dealer. We went in to look around and found sitting there a used 2008 RS Venture. Grey color 6000 miles. 9500 bucks. They would only offer me 2500 for my 1996 RSTC. It's in good condition but does show some signs of age in the chrome. It has 32K on it.

The Venture doesn't have passing lamps or .... for some reason it doesn't have the fuel tank emblems on the sides. Maybe the owner didn't like them. It sure doesn't look like it was down or anything.

We took it for a ride, and if we had to find anything we didn't like I'd say my foot got pretty warm and my wife says the handles to hold on the sides of the seat rested on her butt. (It ain't that big either) :) Well, neither one of us have to rush to the burger store to prevent starving to death.

Anyway, how do these prices seem?

Is there any place to shop for emblems and passing lamps where they don't rape you?

thanks.

Consider I bought my 2006 in 2008 for that price, but with more miles on it, I would say it's fair asking price. However, considering the age of your current bike, perhaps you'd be better off selling it privately? I know around here you never get a fair shake on trade ins.. The dealer has to be able to turn your bike around and still make a profit after all, whereas a private sale doesn't have that burden.

Side emblems? Egads, leave them off.. I can sell you mind if you wish.. they are different than most models anyway, might look cool.. I debadge my bikes right away.. the way *I* see it, Yamaha isn't paying me to advertise for them so meh, makes the bike easier to wash anyway..

Passing lamps, Not sure where you could find them.. http://www.partsharks.com is one place.. other online accessory shops might be able to help..

Feet warm next to the engine? Never experienced that one myself..

As far as the grab bars digging in her assets.. can't help you there.. never heard of anyone having that problem.. My buddy rides an 08 RSV and his dates are on the "BBW" scale of ladies.. and I've never heard one of them complain about it..

You should really enjoy the RSV.. I've put so many miles on mine already.. fun!

You could always just remove the grab bars. Only two screws in each one.

would I have to remove the saddle bags to access those bolts? My daughter also loves to ride with me and I'm sure she would love them on.

I seriously would like to replace the emblems, the grey looks so bland, but of course you can't be fussy when you're talking used I know.

Thanks for your replies, I figure I couldn't get a whole lot more for my bike but I just am not up on the used prices.

thanks again.

You can get to the screws. You just open the lid and the front one is very easy to get to. The other one is not hard to get to but I don't know if you can remove it without pulling the trunk because I've never tried. It should be easy to loosen but it is put in from the top and may not clear to pull out. If not, it would be easy to just reverse it and put it in from the bottom and then you should have no problems.

I agree with you about the emblems. A LOT of people remove them but I like them. There should be plenty of folks who have a set laying around though.

My 2000 was missing the tank badges and the passenger grab bars when I bought it. I never really did like it without the tank emblems so it has (thanks to Mike/eusa1) the, one year only, 2006 badges on it now and I love it.

I showed the wife what the grab bars are and offered to pick up a set for her, but she said she couldn't see needing them. Soooo......no grab bars for my scoot.

$9500 is, I think, a good price but not a steal. If it's bone stock I'd want to pay $8K, maybe $8500 for it, but I'm cheap. :mo money:

Guest tx2sturgis

You can always order the tank emblems from a Yamaha dealer. And there are many sources for auxiliary lighting. Seems like a decent price to me.

Here is a little data to chew on for what it is worth.

Currently on CycleTrader.com there are 12 2008 Ventures for sale.

The average price is $12014.00

The high is $13,999.00

The low is $9995.00

Kelly Blue book lists the avreage retail for a 2008 Standard as $11,150.00 and the "S"model; as $11,845.00.

There are 9 1996 Royals on Cycletrader.com.

The average price is $5492.00

The high is $8000.00

The low is $2950.00

You will almost always get a beter price selling your bike to a private party rather than using it for a trade, but you have to be prepared to wait until someone wants to buy your 96.

I opted to keep my 98 when when I bought my 07 Venture and try to sell it , it took me 5 months to sell it, I did get about $2000.00 more than what the trade in offer was, but it took a while.

It looks to me like you have a fair deal, not great but at least fair.

Good luck.

I don't know where you are, but here in PA, the bike would not pass state inspection without the grab rails. At least, it's not supposed to. I'm sure some dealers would overlook it, but I'm not so sure they should. Just my opinion. It sounds to me like you can't go wrong with the '08. Don

Joe,

I have no idea what part of the country you're in (which makes some difference in asking price) but an 08 with that kind of mileage is a VERY fair deal ask far as what I've seen online. I've been watching Craigslist, Ebay and Cycle Trader and, to find something like that for that price is very hard especially at a dealer.

Yesterday I looked at an 03 on consignment, at a dealer in Longmont. They want 8878.50 + tax out the door with 18,000 miles on it. There's an 07 in Denver that they had listed for 11,999 and they just dropped to 9,999 yesterday. The 07 is missing the fins on the side of the engine because of the idiot that owned it. This is what I'm seeing out here.

If you don't take it let me know where it is! :whistling: :Bunny:

Edited by gibvel

Guest tx2sturgis
I don't know where you are, but here in PA, the bike would not pass state inspection without the grab rails. At least, it's not supposed to.

Is that actually a requirement for state inspection there? Here in Texas, most inspectors just check for lights all working, (turn signals are optional, but if they are on the bike, they must operate), high beam indicator, insurance card, and decent tread on the tires. The Texas code does not require passenger footpegs, UNLESS you are carrying a passenger. Passenger grab rails are very rare on customized bikes of any brand, so this surprises me.

But then again, that IS Pennsylvania! :whistling:

You can always order the tank emblems from a Yamaha dealer. And there are many sources for auxiliary lighting. Seems like a decent price to me.

This is what is scaring me. It's absolutely ridiculous ... check out the price on the emblems .....

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/2008-yamaha-motorcycle-xvz13tf-royal-star-venture/o/m17110

click on body and fender, and then fuel tank. It's parts numbered 3 + 4. $211 dollars PER SIDE!!! LMAO, (it's really not that funny though :bawling:) And the entire passing light assembly is around 300 bucks.

I wish I could handle the down payment without the trade, but alas I can't. With 32K on my 96, and without the hassle of selling, and considering it's knocking off $150 bucks in sales tax, ..... I guess I'm trying to talk myself into doing this with the trade in. But when I start factoring in that, plus the emblems, plus the passing lights, I'm starting to get cold feet. I did put a deposit on it ...... I don't need it, but .... I would love to have it.

I am getting tired of that 1996 model's unbalanced crankshaft. Yamaha tried to simulate the big twin vibration and all it is, is annoying. Arghh, if I were only wealthy. :)

Guest tx2sturgis

Maybe you can find a set of emblems you like on ebay....

Or, just pay someone to airbrush something that you like on the tank....there are many options.

I prefer the Kuryakyn Silver bullets for auxiliary lighting. A pair will run you about $200 with wiring harness and mounting clamps.

If you already put down a deposit, it lowers your amount of leverage, but suggesting to the dealer your about to bail out unless they can cut a better deal...you might get enough of a price reduction to pay for the goodies you want to add.

Guest tx2sturgis

Found these with a quick search on ebay...if these are not to your liking, then others will pop-up as time goes by. I'm guessing you will find exactly what you are looking for, sooner or later...I would not bail out on a good deal...but bargaining with the seller is ALWAYS an option.

If these links dont work, just type in "royal star tank emblems" or something similar, into the ebay search box.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-Yamaha-Royal-Star-Venture-Tank-Emblem-NIB-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem29ee694384QQitemZ180093535108QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_1151wt_1167

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-YAMAHA-XVZ1300-XVZ13-ROYAL-STAR-FUEL-TANK-EMBLEM-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2eaf749688QQitemZ200512149128QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_1168wt_941

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-YAMAHA-XVZ1300-XVZ13-ROYAL-STAR-FUEL-TANK-EMBLEM-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2c56d58405QQitemZ190435394565QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_1168wt_941

Thanks to all who have replied. I do appreciate all your input. I'm in CT btw.

The Venture I'm looking at is model number XVZ13TFS Is this the "Venture S" ? and is that the base model? I'm not familiar with the differences.

One last dumb question ... (embarrassed) Being a tad on the short side, the bigger tank on the Venture has me turning in my brake foot to comfortably apply the rear brake. Is there also an after market pedal that is an inch or so wider?

I know .. dumb, but so many things are running through my mind and there isn't much room up there for all that activity. Thanks!

The "S" model took the place of the Midnight (black) a few years back. The "S" and the Midnights had extra chrome, mostly on the front end, fork tubes and maybe clutch / brake levers. They were always more expensive than the standards.

If you decide to get it, just keep your eyes open on this forum and the Delphi forums, someone will be selling tank badges in short order. One post requesting to buy tank badges will most likely result in several offers to send you some for shipping costs.

I would not worry about the rear brake pedal, I am sure you will adapt to it and never give it another thought, funny how that sort of thing works it self out.

Joe,

Good luck with your bike. Thanks for your questions as I have many of the same as I am also looking at a used 08 Venture. My wife and I rode it today and were impressed.

At the risk of hijacking your post...(I apologize if this is taboo) I would respectfully like to ask the guys (and you) if a noticeable "whine" from the tranny/drive train is normal. We like the bike but it was quite loud (and it concerns us if it could be signs of a problem after purchase (bike has

Does the factory warranty (5 yr ? ) transfer to new owner - I would be 3rd owner.

Any help on the above would be appreciated and if I need to start a new post just let me know

Thanks

Dal

The "S" model took the place of the Midnight (black) a few years back. The "S" and the Midnights had extra chrome, mostly on the front end, fork tubes and maybe clutch / brake levers. They were always more expensive than the standards.

If you decide to get it, just keep your eyes open on this forum and the Delphi forums, someone will be selling tank badges in short order. One post requesting to buy tank badges will most likely result in several offers to send you some for shipping costs.

I would not worry about the rear brake pedal, I am sure you will adapt to it and never give it another thought, funny how that sort of thing works it self out.

Thank you, you guys are all such great help. I'm not familiar with the Delphi forum. Could you point me to it so I can register? Thanks again.

Guest tx2sturgis
Joe,

Good luck with your bike. Thanks for your questions as I have many of the same as I am also looking at a used 08 Venture. My wife and I rode it today and were impressed.

At the risk of hijacking your post...(I apologize if this is taboo) I would respectfully like to ask the guys (and you) if a noticeable "whine" from the tranny/drive train is normal. We like the bike but it was quite loud (and it concerns us if it could be signs of a problem after purchase (bike has

Does the factory warranty (5 yr ? ) transfer to new owner - I would be 3rd owner.

Any help on the above would be appreciated and if I need to start a new post just let me know

Thanks

Dal

There are several threads on here that are all about the whine these bikes have...its normal, but we wish it wasnt.

Its the clutch thats making the noise, and the factory warranty includes one 'free' swap of the clutch basket, to try to remedy it. Most owners seem to report its quiet for a while, but after a few thousand miles the whine seems to return. It's a function of the way the gears are made, and also, the clutch cover seems to conduct the noise where we can hear it.

Of course, turning up the radio DOES cover up the noise somewhat. Most of us just put up with it, since the engine is mostly bulletproof. There are a few problems with the rear shock, and sometimes the driveline. These are usually addressed under warranty.

That warranty applies to the bikes age, or first registration, not who owns it, I'm fairly certain. Unless the VIN shows that it was salvaged, or totaled in an insurance claim, you should have no problem, but check with your local dealer to be sure.

Here are the Delphi Forums and also another that is sometime helpful.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/royalstar

http://forums.delphiforums.com/vrider

http://www.yamahamotorcycleforum.com

Dal,

Yes, gear whine is pretty routine on all Royal Star models, changing the clutch basket should help, just changing your speed in a given gear will normally make it go away also.

Mine screams at 55 MPH in 4th gear, but not at 60.

Yes the warrenty will transfer, if you are not buying from a Yamaha dealer, go to one close by and have the service deptartment do it, they may want to look the bike over for obvious damage. If you ar ebuying from a Yamaha dealer make sure they transfer the warrenty before you leave with the bike.

Here are the Delphi Forums and also another that is sometime helpful.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/royalstar

http://forums.delphiforums.com/vrider

http://www.yamahamotorcycleforum.com

Dal,

Yes, gear whine is pretty routine on all Royal Star models, changing the clutch basket should help, just changing your speed in a given gear will normally make it go away also.

Mine screams at 55 MPH in 4th gear, but not at 60.

Yes the warrenty will transfer, if you are not buying from a Yamaha dealer, go to one close by and have the service deptartment do it, they may want to look the bike over for obvious damage. If you ar ebuying from a Yamaha dealer make sure they transfer the warrenty before you leave with the bike.

55 and 60 in 4th gear? Is the Venture geared differently than my 96RSTC? 60 in 4th with my 96 and I might be chasing connecting rods across the road. :) Mine wants to be in 5th gear somewhere between 45 and 50.

OK - guess I will just have to get used to the noise. Any thing special I should look for one the bike that could be a problem? It's like new @ 1600 miles so I doubt I could go wrong. I'm still searching the forum for known problems.

FYI - I'm riding a '78 XS750 Special I bought new~! Still runs great so I can attest to Yamaha durability. The old girl is less cushy than the Venture but still a great ride. Told my kids they will inherit it...32 years and counting

Wife is ready for a little more comfort, just got to figure out what to offer $$wise (he's asking $11K)

the warranty goes with the bike, it expires 5 years from the original date of new sale, and does not matter how many miles or how many owners.

if a dealer wants to charge you a fee to put your name into the yamaha system a/k/a transfer warranty... tell em to pound sand! it don't cost anything for them or for you.

true, you should see the title before making the purchase, to make sure it is not a salvage repair or theft recovery "branded title" different states have diffent laws and most of them suck for the new owner of someone elses problems.

call the local yamaha dealer and ask them when the "start date" is ?

that will tell you when your five year coverage ends.

oh, and i have 1 second gen tank badge left over in my collection, that you can have.. now wave your arms and another member will step up with another... good grief don't pay the stealerships price for them! pm me

mike