IGNORED

Considering a 2008 Venture

The original Royals and the Venture are geared very much the same. I owned a 98 Tour Classic for 9 years, put 96,000 miles on it, ran it up to 90 in third gear with no problems.

This engine likes to rev high, that is where it builds it best power. Most folks that ride Ventres and Royal Stars in general do not even think about 5th until they are north of 65 MPH.

If you really want a treat, find a nice section of deserted highway or interstate, shift into 3rd and open up the throttle, best to hang on just a bit, if you have not done this it will likely amaze you what the bike will do.

Or try installing a DYNA 3K ignition module, that will let you bump the rev-limiter up and change the ignition curve also to increase the performance of the bike.

Edited by M61A1MECH
correct spelling

Guest tx2sturgis

FYI - I'm riding a '78 XS750 Special I bought new~! Still runs great so I can attest to Yamaha durability. The old girl is less cushy than the Venture but still a great ride. Told my kids they will inherit it...32 years and counting

Wife is ready for a little more comfort, just got to figure out what to offer $$wise (he's asking $11K)

The wifey will love it...lots of room back there and a smooth, comfy ride also.

To both of you potential new owners, one thing I recommend that is not mentioned often is to open up the fairing and 'pre-service' the communication and entertainment cables in there.

These are several large round, black, multipin connectors, and the factory doesnt properly secure them to the nearby supports and each other. Many owners report problems developing after a few thousand miles or more, of the radio and/or cb controls acting up. Many times this is traced to a failed connector, which causes the radio or controls to act up, especially when hitting bumps in the road.

Its not a bad idea to get familiar with how the fairing comes apart, in case you need to change the headlight bulb or change the speakers out, anything of that nature.

To service the connectors, (key off!) pull them apart, treat with dielectric grease, or electronic 'zero residue' cleaner, and then reconnect them. Do this to one at a time, so its easier to reconnect each one to the correctly mating connector. Then use LOTS of zipties to secure them to each other and to the nearby supports around the headlight and radio, and also there are a few clips provided on the inside of the fairing shell. What your trying to do is eliminate all the relative movement as the bike hits bumps, since these connectors will be constantly shaking around, eventually causing some problems. Be certain you don't ziptie them to the mechanical/hydraulic control cables/hoses, such as the throttle cable and/or clutch line, as these DO need to move in the fairing as the bars are turned left and right.

Just a heads up.

Thanks tx - those are the things that really help us novices. As you guys seem ok with my questions - wife wants arm rests like the Ultra we rented and I would like a drivers backrest like I see on some of the pics on this forum - is the factory seat set up for the rest?

55 and 60 in 4th gear? Is the Venture geared differently than my 96RSTC? 60 in 4th with my 96 and I might be chasing connecting rods across the road. :) Mine wants to be in 5th gear somewhere between 45 and 50.

yes, but the RSV and 05-and-later Royal Stars are geared lower than the early Royal Stars if I recall the gear ratios recently published in another thread.

In either case, You're shifting into 5th gear at way too slow of a speed. Save 5th gear for highway riding.

see this thread for a discussion of the gear ratios. http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46749&highlight=gear+ratio+royal+star

Edited by RandyR

The original Royals and the Venture are geared very much the same. I owned a 98 Tour Classic for 9 years, put 96,000 miles on it, ran it up to 90 in third gear with no problems.

This engine likes to rev high, that is where it builds it best power. Most folks that ride Ventres and Royal Stars in general do not even think about 5th until they are north of 65 MPH. If you really want a treat, find a nice section of deserted highway or interstate, shift into 3rd and open up the throttle, best to hang on just a bit, if you have not done this it will likely amaze you what the bike will do.

Or try installing a DYNA 3K ignition module, that will let you bump the rev-limiter up and change the ignition curve also to increase the performance of the bike.

When I first got my bike and sorted out most of its previous owner issues, I was encouraged to open the bike up on the highway.. to "drop the hammer" to reaaaalllly know what this bike can do for you.. but every time I cranked it up, I'd bail out and shift early.. I couldn't make myself do it.. it sounded rather scary at the time.. I could do it with my 1100 VStar no probs.. and I knew that the rev limiter will protect the engine from an abusive owner.. but yet on the RSV I couldn't make myself go that high in revs..

That is until I put on the 3 inch wind shield (deflector?) and had to wear ear plugs.. I got onto the highway with my buddy and I dropped the hammer.. it didn't take long for the bike to shudder in first and second and well never made it into rev limiter country in 3rd gear... wow, now THAT was 'dropping the hammer' and giddyup speeds.. NICE..

I have a Dyna3000 in my RSV but left it at stock setting (to be honest I can't remember what I left it at).. I'm not interested in bumping the rev limiter range higher but more interested in finding out what is my best 'curve' to use with K&N filters and open pipes..

Fun bike this..