IGNORED

oil changes

Some one on another forum brought it to my attention that the old owners manual, the one we have here in PDF, and the new manual the PDF on the My Star section of the Yamaha web site have different oil change intervals.

The old one says every 8k, the new on says every 4k!!!

But if you go to the maintenance interval PDF on the My Star site, it still says 8k..

OK, what is that real answer?

Guest KitCarson
how's this for smart alec remark.... change it at 4000 and again at 8000 and then you're adhering to both versions of the manual.

:sign20::sign20:

That is just about the most intelligent jab I have seen on this site so far!! I wish I had thought of this one!!:stirthepot::stirthepot::sign yeah that::sign20:Kit

Steve , down here we have a lot more moister , i have torn apart motors and have found water in the upper apart of the crankcase and valve covers using dino. or syn. . i have had rockers , cams and valve stems go bad and is really hard on pcv and reed valves , i tell all of my costumers to change their oil at least 2 times a year or at 3000 miles . 1 time a year i like running a can of K N in the oil 15 mins. before oil change , i have not enough guts to do it to our bikes , next time i am going to put a can of seafoam in the oil before i change my oil .

Steve , down here we have a lot more moister , i have torn apart motors and have found water in the upper apart of the crankcase and valve covers using dino. or syn. . i have had rockers , cams and valve stems go bad and is really hard on pcv and reed valves , i tell all of my costumers to change their oil at least 2 times a year or at 3000 miles . 1 time a year i like running a can of K N in the oil 15 mins. before oil change , i have not enough guts to do it to our bikes , next time i am going to put a can of seafoam in the oil before i change my oil .

I'm sorry, I refuse to change oil every 3000 miles, that was a made up number years ago by the oil companies to make more money and use oil faster. No car on the market has a change interval of 3000 miles that I know of. And I can't think of any motorcycle other than full race bikes that require that often of a change either. I'm tired of supporting OPEC. That is why I use a full (non-hydrocracked) synthetic.. Hydrocracked synthetics come from crude oil. Full PAO synthetics are made from synthetic polymers.. While it is true most PAO also come from crude oil, they don't have to as PAOs can be made from non oil esthers or dehydrating alcohols. Sooner or later, when the oil runs out, we will still have full synthetic oils to lubricate the engines of our hydrogen fueled vehicles.

OK, sorry, off the soapbox.

Not knowing for sure what the actual interval from Yamaha is I will go with 8k using full synthetic. If I was using dino I would probably go 4k. I have doubled the recommended interval using synth on my last 5 cars and went at least 1.5 times the interval on all my bikes, even high performance sport bikes, on my last 7 bikes. Never had an oil related failure.

Guest KitCarson
I'm sorry, I refuse to change oil every 3000 miles, that was a made up number years ago by the oil companies to make more money and use oil faster. No car on the market has a change interval of 3000 miles that I know of. And I can't think of any motorcycle other than full race bikes that require that often of a change either. I'm tired of supporting OPEC. That is why I use a full (non-hydrocracked) synthetic.. Hydrocracked synthetics come from crude oil. Full PAO synthetics are made from synthetic polymers.. While it is true most PAO also come from crude oil, they don't have to as PAOs can be made from non oil esthers or dehydrating alcohols. Sooner or later, when the oil runs out, we will still have full synthetic oils to lubricate the engines of our hydrogen fueled vehicles.

OK, sorry, off the soapbox.

Not knowing for sure what the actual interval from Yamaha is I will go with 8k using full synthetic. If I was using dino I would probably go 4k. I have doubled the recommended interval using synth on my last 5 cars and went at least 1.5 times the interval on all my bikes, even high performance sport bikes, on my last 7 bikes. Never had an oil related failure.

Hey Al:

At the risk of starting another oil war.....:stirthepot::stirthepot::rotf:the real reason some of us, myself included change oil every 3000 miles is not at all related to how good the oil is...what kind of oil it is.......dino or synthetic. I know mobile one used to say our oils last 50,000 miles. I agree they may very well do so. Thing is and what is overlooked is oil is the substance that collects all the waste particles that sneak past the rings. Yes you have a filter to catch those.......but you have gases.....acids.....oil gets discolored and dark with suspended particles that the filter does not remove. 3000 miles just has always been a comfortable number to take care of a motor and keep the oil clean. It is not the oil so much as the fact that the oil gets full of trash. I am now going to go change my name ....so no one can get after me:sign20::sign20:Kit

I change my oil once a season in the scoot. As far as oil getting "black", crap, it gets black shortly after you change the oil... the color of the oil doesn't have any thing to do with its viscosity level and it's when the viscosity of the oil breaks down when it's going to cause problems. Today's oils are designed to maintain their viscosity much longer than years ago (when it was recommended to change at 3000 miles). My personal feeling is that if anyone is changing their oil every 3000 miles under normal operation, then hey, it's your money to waste but I'm not going to waste mine.

I change my oil once a season in the scoot. As far as oil getting "black", crap, it gets black shortly after you change the oil... the color of the oil doesn't have any thing to do with its viscosity level and it's when the viscosity of the oil breaks down when it's going to cause problems. Today's oils are designed to maintain their viscosity much longer than years ago (when it was recommended to change at 3000 miles). My personal feeling is that if anyone is changing their oil every 3000 miles under normal operation, then hey, it's your money to waste but I'm not going to waste mine.

IT'S NOT THE MONEY TO WASTE IT'S ABOUT PEACE OF MIND......TO KNOW THAT WHEN I HIT THAT REV. LIMIT THERE IS FRESH OIL IN THE BEAST!

Some one on another forum brought it to my attention that the old owners manual, the one we have here in PDF, and the new manual the PDF on the My Star section of the Yamaha web site have different oil change intervals.

The old one says every 8k, the new on says every 4k!!!

But if you go to the maintenance interval PDF on the My Star site, it still says 8k..

OK, what is that real answer?

I take mine in for service every 4000 miles. They always change the oil then do the other as scheduled.

Hey Al:

At the risk of starting another oil war.....:stirthepot::stirthepot::rotf:the real reason some of us, myself included change oil every 3000 miles is not at all related to how good the oil is...what kind of oil it is.......dino or synthetic. I know mobile one used to say our oils last 50,000 miles. I agree they may very well do so. Thing is and what is overlooked is oil is the substance that collects all the waste particles that sneak past the rings. Yes you have a filter to catch those.......but you have gases.....acids.....oil gets discolored and dark with suspended particles that the filter does not remove. 3000 miles just has always been a comfortable number to take care of a motor and keep the oil clean. It is not the oil so much as the fact that the oil gets full of trash. I am now going to go change my name ....so no one can get after me:sign20::sign20:Kit

And don't forget, that same motor oil also services the TRANNY! Gotta flush out those little silver looking metallic thingees outta there more often than every 8000 miles, Me Thinks! Brian

I use Amsoil and I still change it between 3-4000 miles even though its supposed to be good for 8-10k. From what I was told, when you use synthetics you still need to change the filter at 3-4k to keep the oil clean. Well, in the Florida heat I notice that my shifting gets a bit harder around the 4k mark and for me its a sure sign to change the oil. All I can say is it's cheap insurance. And I wont even get into a debate about the Wal-Mart Super-Tec filters I use......:rotf: