IGNORED

Boy, was I stupid!

Dmnordin

I bought a small 12volt compressor to carry on my '83 Venture on Ebay for $30 + $10 shipping without checking out pricing elsewhere first. A couple of days ago I saw the same compressor at Pep Boys for $12 + local sales tax (6+%). Boy, was that DUMB! Even though it was my own fault, I emailed the guy - didn't blame him, just said I was frustrated that I was dumb to overpay so much. He emailed me back & said he was sorry, he didn't know what they sell for & that he ended up with a box of them from the flea market - I don't think he's American based on his illiterate email. I emailed him back asking that he refund me $15 - I don't expect a positive response/any money back. Man, I'm gonna hafta do more homework! Doug

not to add further rain.....but did you check the amp requirement for that compressor and then the fuse size of the circuit your using it on?....i bought a compressor at autozone that was really small, came with built in gauge, on and off switch...but needed 15 amps...and the lighter is only 5 amps...so i took it back............if your connecting directly to your battery, then no problem....

not to add further rain.....but did you check the amp requirement for that compressor and then the fuse size of the circuit your using it on?....i bought a compressor at autozone that was really small, came with built in gauge, on and off switch...but needed 15 amps...and the lighter is only 5 amps...so i took it back............if your connecting directly to your battery, then no problem....

Wow, I would have made that mistake for sure. I was thinking about getting a small air compressor too. I need to stop looking at it like a car's cigarette lighter. Thanks

:thumbsup2:

I bought a small 12volt compressor to carry on my '83 Venture on Ebay for $30 + $10 shipping without checking out pricing elsewhere first. A couple of days ago I saw the same compressor at Pep Boys for $12 + local sales tax (6+%). Boy, was that DUMB! Even though it was my own fault, I emailed the guy - didn't blame him, just said I was frustrated that I was dumb to overpay so much. He emailed me back & said he was sorry, he didn't know what they sell for & that he ended up with a box of them from the flea market - I don't think he's American based on his illiterate email. I emailed him back asking that he refund me $15 - I don't expect a positive response/any money back. Man, I'm gonna hafta do more homework! Doug

Well, in my opinion....unless he lied in his listing, he owes you nothing. There is absolutely nothing wrong with someone listing an item for more than it sells for elsewhere. It is the buyer's responsibility to know what he/she is buying.

Let me ask you a question.....if you had purchased it for $30 and then found it selling elsewhere for $60, would you have contacted him and offered to send him an additional $30?? I doubt it.

I have made the same mistake. It doesn't feel good to realize that you paid too much. Not arguing that at all. However......It is NOT the seller's fault.....again, unless the ad was misleading or untruthful.

JMO

Well, in my opinion....unless he lied in his listing, he owes you nothing. There is absolutely nothing wrong with someone listing an item for more than it sells for elsewhere. It is the buyer's responsibility to know what he/she is buying.

Let me ask you a question.....if you had purchased it for $30 and then found it selling elsewhere for $60, would you have contacted him and offered to send him an additional $30?? I doubt it.

I have made the same mistake. It doesn't feel good to realize that you paid too much. Not arguing that at all. However......It is NOT the seller's fault.....again, unless the ad was misleading or untruthful.

JMO

Bullseye !

I agree - he owes me nothing & I made the mistake.

I emailed him asking for some money refunded on the extremely slim chance that he would feel bad enough about selling it for 3X it's value that he would be nice to me, despite my mistake (can we say MANIPULATION?).

I haven't heard back from him yet, and I don't expect to.

even though it's my mistake; I would like to sabotage his high priced auction so maybe someone else doesn't do the same thing I did - I'm debating on what do to about feedback. Even though it was my mistake, It still sucks for him to sell them for such a high price.

The price I would pay for my neutral or negative feedback would be receiving neutral or negative feedback from him - not too big of a deal since I don't really sell much very often on Ebay anymore - such a pain in the butt to sell there.

Doug

Maybe consider giving positive feedback because the transaction was completed without hassle but just state as part of the feedback that the item is - OVERPRICED This way you keep the emotion out of it. You did not unjustifiably mess up anyones feedback score but told everyone who looks at that item to consider the price.

:mo money:

This is no different than buying something at Home Depot to learn later that you could have bought it at Menards for 20% less. Which is why I very seldom go to Home Depot.:2cents:

I suppose I could lie, tell him it doesn't work, and try to get a refund instead of a replacement.

I won't do that, but it's a fun thought for a moment.

Gee, does it sound like I just can't let go of this?

Doug

Over priced is a matter of relativity. If you live 60 miles from a HF then you need to figure travel expenses and then it's a bargain, or at least rightly priced. Take a deep breath, and make an attitude adjustment, and then post that he made a good transaction,,,, which in fact he did. He put it up for sale, you bought it and paid for it, he shipped it according to agreement, and it works. Done deal!

Thanks for the advice.

I left positive feedback, under comments said, "OVERPRICED!! $13 at Pep Boys!".

You're right - he did fulfill his end of the auction/sale as advertised, and that is what the feedback is addressing.

I don't think my overpriced comments will have any negative impact for him; how often do buyers read very far into the comments when checking a seller's feedback if he has an almost 100% positive feedback rating.

Time to move on & forget about this.

Doug