IGNORED

I'm not bashing Wings

Hummingbird

just an observation.

Yesterday I took my sons '05' Black Cherry 1800 to get a rear tire installed. The first thing I noticed was the size of the mirrors, I LIKE them

He has foot boards on his bike and that brings up the second point. You have to raise the foot board to get to the kickstand and then put it back down. On the other side is the brake paddle and EVER YTIME I raised my foot from a standstill to put it on the foot board I hit the brake. Then I had to bend my knee more than I'm used to just to place it on the board. Very uncomfortable !

The third item is a second positive ! I absolutely love the fuel injection response when I twist the throttle :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Didn't like the seat at all

just an observation.

Yesterday I took my sons '05' Black Cherry 1800 to get a rear tire installed. The first thing I noticed was the size of the mirrors, I LIKE them

He has foot boards on his bike and that brings up the second point. You have to raise the foot board to get to the kickstand and then put it back down. On the other side is the brake paddle and EVER YTIME I raised my foot from a standstill to put it on the foot board I hit the brake. Then I had to bend my knee more than I'm used to just to place it on the board. Very uncomfortable !

The third item is a second positive ! I absolutely love the fuel injection response when I twist the throttle :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Didn't like the seat at all

So, if you had a gl1800 trike with a good seat you would have a perfect ride! :big-grin-emoticon:

You can get an extension for the side stand that sticks out past the floorboard.

As for the other issues it just takes time to get used to a different bike.

The brake pedal can be adjusted.

My son is happy with his bike and the brake pedal isn't really the problem. It's my artificial knee replacement, it just barely bends enough to fit the floor boards.

I just don't think that I could be happy/comfortable on a wing. Did I mention that I had seven different 1500 GoldWings ?

We should be leaving sometime this fore-noon, figure on getting to you sometime tomorrow. I'll call you tonight when we stop, should be able to figure a time frame then.

He has a heck of a time getting away from his office, especially when it's hooked on his waist.

I recently test drove an '03 Wing....actually a couple of times, the first with Nina on the back. Did quite a bit of city, heavy traffic riding and then had it out on the freeway and some back roads.

I love the handling, balance, power, stereo, ABS, etc, etc.

I could get used to the foot pegs coz every bike I've owned before the RSV was like that.

Stock seat is terrible ... my butt was sore in less than an hour... very uncomfortable.

Nina does not like the seating position either.

Didn't like the positioning of the handlebars...would have to install risers.

We're seriously thinking about getting one. It will all depend on the finances.

I recently test drove an '03 Wing....actually a couple of times, the first with Nina on the back. Did quite a bit of city, heavy traffic riding and then had it out on the freeway and some back roads.

I love the handling, balance, power, stereo, ABS, etc, etc.

I could get used to the foot pegs coz every bike I've owned before the RSV was like that.

Stock seat is terrible ... my butt was sore in less than an hour... very uncomfortable.

Nina does not like the seating position either.

Didn't like the positioning of the handlebars...would have to install risers.

We're seriously thinking about getting one. It will all depend on the finances.

Basically, you see the same things I see-

The 1800 Wing is a heck of a bike with regard to mechanics but comfort is not there imho.

I don't need the mechanics of the wing as I'm happy with the Venture. Actually @ 67 I'm too old to really worry about it.

Basically, you see the same things I see-

The 1800 Wing is a heck of a bike with regard to mechanics but comfort is not there imho.

I don't need the mechanics of the wing as I'm happy with the Venture. Actually @ 67 I'm too old to really worry about it.

Well, at 63 I'm finding it becoming more and more of a "chore" to drive a motorcycle, even though I love to ride. When I rode that Wing, I realized this....that driving the RSV was actually a chore... it takes a fair amount of concentration and "work" in comparison to the Wing. The Wing was an absolute breeze to drive...practically effortless in comparison to the RSV.

After only one hour on the Wing, when I got back on my RSV I practically lost control of it. It felt so big, heavy and unbalanced. Took me a while to get used to it again. I love the looks of the RSV and it's rider/passenger comfort but when it comes to the effort involved to drive it (in comparison to the Wing), I tell ya... it will make a big difference on those longer trips.

Yes, the Wing is far more powerful and that is a big plus but the main thing about them that has pretty much sold me is how easy they are to drive, no matter if it's out on the freeway, country roads, or in the city ... to me it was much, much easier.

Well, at 63 I'm finding it becoming more and more of a "chore" to drive a motorcycle, even though I love to ride. When I rode that Wing, I realized this....that driving the RSV was actually a chore... it takes a fair amount of concentration and "work" in comparison to the Wing. The Wing was an absolute breeze to drive...practically effortless in comparison to the RSV.

After only one hour on the Wing, when I got back on my RSV I practically lost control of it. It felt so big, heavy and unbalanced. Took me a while to get used to it again. I love the looks of the RSV and it's rider/passenger comfort but when it comes to the effort involved to drive it (in comparison to the Wing), I tell ya... it will make a big difference on those longer trips.

Yes, the Wing is far more powerful and that is a big plus but the main thing about them that has pretty much sold me is how easy they are to drive, no matter if it's out on the freeway, country roads, or in the city ... to me it was much, much easier.

gonna find out about the long trips in just a few minutes. Randy ( on his Wing) and me (on my Venture) are headed to Paris Tennessee just moments from now.

I'll try to have a comparison report when we get back.

gonna find out about the long trips in just a few minutes. Randy ( on his Wing) and me (on my Venture) are headed to Paris Tennessee just moments from now.

I'll try to have a comparison report when we get back.

One thing to remember.....there is no way to compare the comfort of one motorcycle that has been "set up" for it's owner to another motorcycle that already fits 'you'.

My Wing is set up for me. I have taken pains to do that....handlebar risers, foot pegs properly spaced for ME, and a WalMart gel pad on my standard seat. I recently put in an 800 mile day....no sore butt, no back ache...admittedly tired and ready to get off. My longest day on either of my RSV's was 475 miles, and I was exhausted. Not sore, but exhausted. I didn't realize until reading SilvrT's post above, but he is exactly right. It takes more energy to pilot an RSV than it does a Wing.

A friend of mine who rides a Vulcan 2000 rode my wing and said he couldn't believe how effortless it was. Just think and it seems to go where you want it to.

Any motorcycle needs to be properly setup for the person who is riding it if you want the most comfort. True for the RSV and for the Wing.

My Wing is set up for me. I have taken pains to do that....handlebar risers, .

How do you like it after installing the risers? appx how much height and offset towards you did you get?

I know that when I put the risers on my RSV, it made a world of difference.

Another "observation" ... my '87 was easier to drive than my RSV insofar as how it handled on the highway and the twisties. The longest I rode that bike was just over 1400 kilometers. Max I've done on the RSV is appx 800 km and I was exhausted.

How do you like it after installing the risers? appx how much height and offset towards you did you get?

I know that when I put the risers on my RSV, it made a world of difference.

I moved my bars back 1.5 inches, and up .5 inch (going by fuzzy memory, but that's pretty close). Made all the difference in the world.

Another comfort item I forgot to mention is the backrest.....don't leave home without it!

I really enjoy my GL1800 trike as it takes all the stress out of riding. I find that I ride it more than my RSV just because it is much easier to roll in and out of the garage. With the trike I can put my foot pegs even lower cause they don't drag on the corners. The GL1800 is a smooth machine and I find it very comfortable for me. The stock seats stinks but the 20 buck gelpad takes care of that problem. I rode 10 1/2 hours one day and could never have done that with my RSV. Of course I'm comparing a Goldwing trike with a two wheeled RSV. I assume the RSV trike might produce the same results that I have found.