IGNORED

moving trunk back?????????

Ok been hearing about how all the second genners moved their trunks back to give their passenger a little more room. I was tols that it was already det up just had to move it. Ive been looking for a way to do this on a 1st gen. Looked at moving the trunk itself but dont have the skills to remake the mounts . Then considered moving the trunk rack mount back but it seems that isnt possible as it sets at an angle just behing the back light.

Is there anyone out there who has already done this mod to a 1st gen and if so how did you do it?

Any help would be appreciated

David

Ok been hearing about how all the second genners moved their trunks back to give their passenger a little more room. I was tols that it was already det up just had to move it. Ive been looking for a way to do this on a 1st gen. Looked at moving the trunk itself but dont have the skills to remake the mounts . Then considered moving the trunk rack mount back but it seems that isnt possible as it sets at an angle just behing the back light.

Is there anyone out there who has already done this mod to a 1st gen and if so how did you do it?

Any help would be appreciated

David

I've been thinking about what would be needed to move the trunk back on my '91. The Corbin seat sticks back under the passenger back rest about 2", and the passenger seat is a very tight squeeze as it's only 6" from the driver backrest to the passenger backrest.

The front brackets are a piece of cake,and made out of 1/2"x2.5"x4" aluminum flat stock. It's the rear mounts that present a problem in that the extension needs to stick up into the trunk 27.5mm so the fitting will not only need to be about 1/2"x3" long, but will also need spacers to mimic the existing studs.

I've actually measured everything out, but been too lazy to mock up a set. By keeping the highth of the extension to 1/2" it will raise the trunk only slightly and not be so high like others I've seen ... Maybe this winter I'll make a prototype. Thinking of getting with the company that builds our Fork Braces to see what it might cost to make them in numbers..

David,

If I can remember to do it, I'll take some pics of the '89. I moved the trunk on it back to give Lonna a bit more room as she couldn't handle the long ride to MD without it. It's really not that hard and for only a few bucks and about an hour your in business. Send me a PM as I KNOW my CRS will kick in. :whistling:

Here are some pictures of what I did to mine. I moved it 2" rearward.

[ATTACH]49568[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]49569[/ATTACH]

Picture with and without filler. I had filler made by an Amish guy, cost $20. It needs to be removed so backrest can be slid forward to remove.

[ATTACH]49573[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]49574[/ATTACH]

Foam covered filler

[ATTACH]49570[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]49571[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]49572[/ATTACH]

Views of remounted rack.

[ATTACH]49577[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]49578[/ATTACH]

View of mounts. These were made from a 12" piece of angle I had laying around.

[ATTACH]49575[/ATTACH]

Closeup of relocated antenna mount and modified loop rod. Antenna mount was cutoff from behind the loop rod and welded forward of the loop rod. Antenna cable would not have cleared turn signal otherwise.

[ATTACH]49576[/ATTACH]

View of front bar on rack that was cut to clear air compressor. Front bar on rack would have interfered with air compressor, so it was cut out.

Gary

When I bought my 89, my wife complained that she had too much room and didn't feel secure. She did seem to be leaning back too far. I got to looking and there were brackets that moved everything back. I took them off and she fits in nicely right behind me. She hasn't grown any in the last five years so I still have them if anyone is interested and would make me an offer.

Iowa Guy

When I bought my 89, my wife complained that she had too much room and didn't feel secure. She did seem to be leaning back too far. I got to looking and there were brackets that moved everything back. I took them off and she fits in nicely right behind me. She hasn't grown any in the last five years so I still have them if anyone is interested and would make me an offer.

Iowa Guy

pictures??.....

Here are pictures of the brackets that I took off my 89

That's interesting as all get out. I like the skirt to hide all the brackets. I'm wondering how it deals with the 4-hole cluster of the front mounts. If it's for sale, what would you need to get out of it??? First dibs!! :)

thnks guys. I still havent figures it out yet as all of these mods are for the mkI. Mine is a MKII and they are completely different. Larger trunk and different mounts all together. Now if anybody wants to make one for a MKII Id be willing to part with some $$$ to buy a set as I dont have the skills make them myself.

David

thnks guys. I still havent figures it out yet as all of these mods are for the mkI. Mine is a MKII and they are completely different. Larger trunk and different mounts all together. Now if anybody wants to make one for a MKII Id be willing to part with some $$$ to buy a set as I dont have the skills make them myself.

David

Hey David better reread the posts just above yours, I think there was a couple of MKII options there..

Brian

Here's mine, the ones we made are much nicer.... like the ones Iowa Guy shows.

Thanks for the pics Tom. They give me some ideas, and also show what I need to do, and why I need to avoid the Z brackets.. I'm thinking of designing the brackets lower, and keep the trunk closer to the mount. Maximum rise would be 0.5"

FYI- to whom it may concern. The tubular steel on these 1300 trunk mounts is not very strong. THE steel CAN CRACK. Especially should your passanger lounge against the trunk or even from weight bouncing around from being overloaded. Moving the trunk back is same as adding more weight. 1200 goldwings wuold crank these same parts. And my 87VR has cracked the tubular bracket...twice. Once on each side. Now it's been welded and reinfiorced for 10 years now. Stronger than original. If you want a picture I can post it.

• 10 months later...

I used aluminum angle from Lowes to make 2 angles (12 inches long). I used a 1/2 inch spacer up front and a 3/8 spacer at the back (so I could use the existing stud). I removed the 2 rear angles for now ( I am working on replacements to reattach to the existing rack). I am posting pictures of the angles installed. I also purchased stainless steel bolts, nuts and washers from Lowes (1/4 inch diameter X 1 inch long).

That's interesting as all get out. I like the skirt to hide all the brackets. I'm wondering how it deals with the 4-hole cluster of the front mounts. If it's for sale, what would you need to get out of it??? First dibs!! :)

Sorry about the delay in my response. Price? IDK, $40 sound about right? They are just hanging in my garage.