Does anyone have a rear shock off of a 2nd Gen. they would like to send me?

I do some work for Gabriel North America Ride Control. They make many shocks for cars, trucks, quads, snowmobiles, you name it. I deal with the head Engineer. I would like to take a shock into him for some research on our problem we have. My shock is still good or I would take it.

They have so many different designs that I am thinking they may have one close to the kind we need and maybe able to change the mounting hardware so that we could use it.

I would let him know of all the problems that we have with the original and see what he comes up with. I am sure this shock would be cut away for them to see the internal workings. It would be of no use to anyone anymore.

Just a thought. :confused24: Any takers?

Edited by T.J.

Hey T.J.!

Great idea! How you been? Ibents(Ian) just changed his out about a month ago....but he is in Colorado right now...I think? I'll ask him when he gets back from vacation, we could run it over to you one day/afternoon/night

gunk:smile5:

Maybe a meet and eat would be in order.:banana:

I am doing fine Randy. Good to hear from you.

They may need more than one to run some tests. We will see. I know this Engineer very well. I made some wheel adapters for his old truck one time.

Hey T.J.!

Great idea! How you been? Ibents(Ian) just changed his out about a month ago....but he is in Colorado right now...I think? I'll ask him when he gets back from vacation, we could run it over to you one day/afternoon/night

gunk:smile5:

Edited by T.J.

I have one I can send you. Let me know if you still need it. My other shock just started leaking so if they can make one I'll be glad to try it out for them. LOL

Just let me know.

Harry

Thanks Harry,

I will let you know if Ibents doesn't work out.

TJ, Let us know if it works out. I'll buy one if it's less than $600. Heck I put Gabriels all around on my pickup for less than 1/2 that. Got a deal where you buy three get one free. How about a group buy? How much if they made a run of how many?

TJ, Let us know if it works out. I'll buy one if it's less than $600. Heck I put Gabriels all around on my pickup for less than 1/2 that. Got a deal where you buy three get one free. How about a group buy? How much if they made a run of how many?

I really won't know anything until I can get a shock into him. He will get all the specs and do a research as to what they already have or to make one just for our bike. If that would be the case "for our Bike". I am sure they would have to research the demand and the profit that would be for making them available.

Like I said, I know the man very well. We will be able to talk in depth on a new shock. It may take some time but I am excited about the possibility of having a good shock for our bikes.

I really won't know anything until I can get a shock into him. He will get all the specs and do a research as to what they already have or to make one just for our bike. If that would be the case "for our Bike". I am sure they would have to research the demand and the profit that would be for making them available.

Like I said, I know the man very well. We will be able to talk in depth on a new shock. It may take some time but I am excited about the possibility of having a good shock for our bikes.

Hey T.J.:

Ian returned my e-mail, and he does still have his old shock, it's sitting in the garage. He's going to donate it to the cause. I e-mailed the fella that lives on the street behind me, but he's already trashed his. So...how are we going to get this over to you?

gunk:big-grin-emoticon:

Hey T.J.:

Ian returned my e-mail, and he does still have his old shock, it's sitting in the garage. He's going to donate it to the cause. I e-mailed the fella that lives on the street behind me, but he's already trashed his. So...how are we going to get this over to you?

gunk:big-grin-emoticon:

We will figure something out. When does Ian get back?

I can still send you mine. I would think it would cost less to ship from the US than Canada.

Just let me know. I think a lot of people would be interested in a lower priced shock. There is already enough choices in overpriced shocks.

Harry

I can still send you mine. I would think it would cost less to ship from the US than Canada.

Just let me know. I think a lot of people would be interested in a lower priced shock. There is already enough choices in overpriced shocks.

Harry

Hang in there Harry. What GunkyLump, Ibents, and I are planning is to meet for dinner someplace and it will be hand delivered from Canada at that time.

I will keep ya posted.

Thanks for the offer. We may still need it. :thumbsup2:

I just spoke with the Engineer at Gabriel and told him I would soon have a shock for him to look at.

He told me the first thing they wanted to do is find out why the shock goes bad.

Next he said that, he has the 5th best shock designer in the world working in his building and that the two of them will be looking at this problem.:)

So far so good. Just have to get a shock to him.

We will figure something out. When does Ian get back?

Ian should be back Sunday, but he told me to go over and pick it up sooner if needed. Just a thought here.....how about meeting at Mexicantown on Monday night for dinner, Beth has been itching to get over there lately.

gunk:shock3:

Ian should be back Sunday, but he told me to go over and pick it up sooner if needed. Just a thought here.....how about meeting at Mexicantown on Monday night for dinner, Beth has been itching to get over there lately.

Where is that at gunk?

Mexicantown?

Hey Randy, TJ, Your more than welcome to the shock, I'm in a place called Bartlesville, OK, right now, we have been averaging 680 to 780 km a day and we are pretty bushed by the end of it, to hot and very windy takes it out of you. We hope to be home by Sun at the latest,....I have hockey practise Mon & Tue.....as for Mexican, we just ate at a Mexican restaurant and I can't believe I finished a whole Fajaita myself, I'm so stuffed I don't want to see one for another month. So Randy if you want to get it earlier give Pat a call and pick it up.

See you when I get back

Ian

TJ,

If you need a rear shock already cut apart to expose the inner workings, I have one you can use for your project. But I already have performed an analysis of the issues with this oem shock (attached)

But I seriously doubt Gabriel could or would build a replacement shock for us, especially to the same design of what Yamaha builds. What we want is an inexpensive Ohlins with adjustable preload and compression and rebound dampening.....which won't happen for our bike?

Also attached are pictures of the oem shock as well as the one that Works Perfomance builds for the RSV.

Let me know if you would like my shock that is cut apart, which you can borrow for the cost of shipping.

Rick

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't looked, but is the protective rubber boot available seperately? It sounds like keeping the polished ram clean may help extend the life, so changing the boot occasionally and maybe putting a hose clamp on the top side would keep contamination out.

may be another dumb Walter idea...

Edited by wes0778
grammer/spelling

Just an update on this project.:)

I dropped off the shock from Ian's bike about two weeks ago to Gabriel. The morning I was there, four Engineers had their hands on that shock. They were very interested.

They also found, before I left, why the oil had leaked out - a score in the ram under the boot. They explained to me that, with this design, the load spring built inside the shock causes side load and any dirt that gets caught up inside the boot may cause the scoring on the ram.

I also sent them the pictures and the write up from Rick Butler on our shocks.

I talked with the Engineer this week to see if he needed any more from me. He stated that he has a guy doing some research on this shock to see what they can come up with. I may have to take my bike down to them so they can do a further study.

So far they are looking at three options.

I will keep you all posted when I find out anything. I deal with this company on a regular basis and will ask from time to time how they are doing.

They may say no, they may say yes we have something.

Just an update on this project.:)

I dropped off the shock from Ian's bike about two weeks ago to Gabriel...

...So far they are looking at three options...

I want to personally thank you for taking the initiative on this issue. This thread has already given me a little insight into this devilish rear shock. My shock wept a little oil one night this summer when the humidity was very high but none since and I haven't noticed any performance issues. I read in someone else's post of a similar experience. Perhaps you can ask the engineers about the humidity factor on our shock's design.

I see "venturerider emeritus" status in your future, if a reasonable and cost effective alternative results from their examination. Thanx again.