IGNORED

safety between bikes

Iowa Guy

Scared myself today. Instead of my 89 venture, I decided to take my Kawasaki Concourse out for a ride. I bought it for my son to ride so I haven't been on it that much. I was in the middle of a corner doing 65 and three deer are walking across the road. No problem. Plenty of time to slow down. So I touched the brake pedal like I would on my Venture with its integrated brakes. They do a good job of slowing you down in a controlled way. Ooops! These are just the rear brakes and they are a lot touchier than the Ventures. I hear the rear tire lock up on me just as I start to fish tail back and forth about 3-4 times. I pulled my foot off the brake pedal and thank God, it straightened out. I would have stood up on the pegs to shake the stuff out of my shorts but the pucker factor was well into the upper 8s (0-10) and I couldn't raise my butt off the seat. Well, I will be conscious of that issue from now on.

Whew!

Scared myself today.

Whew!

This is one of the reasons that I modified my VR and de-linked the brakes.

The other reason is now I can ride down my daughter's steep, gravel drive using the rear brake without worrying the front wheel will wash-out.

The other reason is now I can ride down my daughter's steep, gravel drive using the rear brake without worrying the front wheel will wash-out.

I don't get the logic on that...please expand a bit for a dummie.

OK, 1st Gen brakes for dummies 101. :stickpoke: You asked for it!

On the 1st Gens the brake lever on the handle bar only applies the right front brake, The foot brake applies the left front brake and rear brake.

If you are on a slick surface, like going down a steep gravel drive, and you apply the front brake, the front wheel can lock up and cause the front end to slide out from under you. With the linked brakes of the 1st Gen you are always applying the front brake when you are stopping. Regardless of which brake you think you are applying.

Edited by Flyinfool

Guest tx2sturgis
OK, 1st Gen brakes for dummies 101. :stickpoke: You asked for it!

On the 1st Gens the brake lever on the handle bar only applies the right front brake, The foot brake applies the left front brake and rear brake.

If you are on a slick surface, like going down a steep gravel drive, and you apply the front brake, the front wheel can lock up and cause the front end to slide out from under you. With the linked brakes of the 1st Gen you are always applying the front brake when you are stopping. Regardless of which brake you think you are applying.

Ok..I know about linked brakes, they have been out for decades. But I have never actually ridden a bike very much, more than a few miles, with linked brakes. How are they when it comes to 'trail-braking' in moderate to high speed sweepers?

And what about playing the rear brake pedal in slow speed, sharp, lock-to-lock turns?

Just askin.

My XJ1100 had linked brakes. I liked them for everyday riding. It was nice only having to use the foot pedal to slow the bike down, but for low speed maneuvers and slick conditions, it sucked. I dumped it a couple times in slick conditions because the front tire would slide.

Me too. I pretty much use just the front brakes with a little rear. I like the way BMW does it integrates the opposite way. The front brake handle will activate some rear brake. I dont like the rear brake activating the front. I got rid of the linking.

• 3 months later...

My ST1300 had linked brakes, The rear applied 66% to rear and 33% to front. the front applied 66% to front and 33% to rear.

I never once locked the rear brake or fish tailed on that bike and it would stop on a dime and give you change back.

Short of ABS I think it is the perfect set up.

This subject has been beat to death. To link or not to link. Less filling... Taste great...!!

Lets face it, if you hit a patch of snot you're gonna go down, it really doesn't make any difference how your brakes are rigged....

Thats my thinking!! And I like the linked system. But that is kind of like my little brother. He claimes he don't like anti-skid brakes. Thinks he is faster than that computer!! Little brother is a H*** of a driver but......wish I had ABS on my 1st Gen!!!

I would like to address a few questions about the question of "To De-Link or Not".

I too live on a gravel covered dirt road with a steep incline on it at the beginning, off of the paved road, and the linked brakes did not function well for me. When I first got my 87'VR, I dumped it twice in three days at very low speed just trying to get down my drive way. When I De-Linked my brakes, it allowed me to use only the rear brake while coming down the incline so I didn't have the front brake lock up and dump the bike. The other reason I like the De-Linked brakes is because I can use the "friction zone" brake maneuvers described in the "Ride Like A Pro" DVD's for low speed, lock to lock, parking lot riding. As most MKII First Gen. owners know, the left front and right front Brake Calipers have two different size pistons in the Calipers so the braking action on the front of the bike is unbalanced. By De-Linking the brakes and adding the R1 Calipers to the front of a MKII VR I now have Equal, balanced, increased, dependable, braking action on the front of my bike.

To answer tx2sturgis's question about the braking action with the Linked Braking System of the MKII VR in a sweeper turn at moderate speeds, I found that the activation of the foot brake in a left hand sweeper (which also activated the left front caliper) was a bit "un nerving" at best, although I do have a tendency to take those turns at a bit faster than normal speeds. With the unwanted activation of the left front brake at those speeds, I was in constant fear of the front of the bike "Washing Out". (Sliding out from under me) With the De-Link of the front and rear brakes, I no longer have that issue.

In my opinion, Because the MKII VR doesn't have ABS, If your bike never leaves a paved road, you do mostly "Super Slab" Hi Way riding, you don't pull a trailer, and you don't ride your bike aggressively then the linked brakes on the MKII VR are adequate, If you add any of the above factors then there is a better option.

My feeling about a thread that discusses a topic "that has been beat to death" is that every VR.ORG member has the option to close this thread and move on to something else because they personally have all of the information they need about this particular subject.

BUT, for the members that are dealing with a Braking issue, or didn't even know that there are options available, or have never ridden a motorcycle with linked brakes, will find this thread VERY interesting and will learn something about a subject that has an impact on their riding style, or their concerns about the addition of a trailer or they plan to do a lot of two up riding. These are the people that will enjoy this thread, and find it useful. For all of the members that already have this issue figured out, I suggest you try the "Back" button, and move on to the interesting thread about "The Christmas Lights on my house" or one of the many "OIL" threads that are currently circulating.

This is the time of the year when many members are contemplating doing upgrades to their bikes because they have an extended period of "Down Time" due to the weather.

I have the upmost respect for any VR.ORG member that strives to increase their knowledge of these wonderful, complicated, machines. The sharing of information between members is the very best part of this forum. I personally have learned many things about the bikes I own and ride regularly. This site is the best $12.00 I have ever invested, bar none.:thumbsup2:

Earl

Edited by skydoc_17
ADDED PICS!

This subject has been beat to death. To link or not to link. Less filling... Taste great...!!

Lets face it, if you hit a patch of snot you're gonna go down, it really doesn't make any difference how your brakes are rigged....

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2: