Well, I've been looking at this site for a while, and I couldn't find an answer. I have a '83, and the clock acts funny. When the bike is off, the clock displays the time, and keeps time accurately. Once you turn the ignition on, the minutes then act like seconds, i.e. if it showed 6:45, it will go 6:46, 6:47, 6:48 etc. in time with seconds. Once it reaches 6:59, it goes to 6:00, 6:01, etc. When you stop the bike, say 15 minutes later, where ever the seconds were, it'll go back to keeping time normally, but not at the right time. If you started at 6:45, rode for 10 minutes, and the seconds were at :23 when you turned it off, it'd now be 6:23 and keep accurate (but incorrect) time until you turned it back on. If you ride for over an hour, the hours will not change.

So has anyone encountered this?

-Andrew

Well, I've been looking at this site for a while, and I couldn't find an answer. I have a '83, and the clock acts funny. When the bike is off, the clock displays the time, and keeps time accurately. Once you turn the ignition on, the minutes then act like seconds, i.e. if it showed 6:45, it will go 6:46, 6:47, 6:48 etc. in time with seconds. Once it reaches 6:59, it goes to 6:00, 6:01, etc. When you stop the bike, say 15 minutes later, where ever the seconds were, it'll go back to keeping time normally, but not at the right time. If you started at 6:45, rode for 10 minutes, and the seconds were at :23 when you turned it off, it'd now be 6:23 and keep accurate (but incorrect) time until you turned it back on. If you ride for over an hour, the hours will not change.

So has anyone encountered this?

-Andrew

Are you sure you don't have the clock in 'stop watch' mode??

You may have a stuck button.The only way to program the clock is when the bike is running.If you haver a stuck clock button the clock would act like this. The only other way to check this is to pull the cluster and pull out the clock.Check the connections and see if something is stuck or rusted. I will check my 83 and see what would happen if I held a program button in. Cheers and good Luck.. Paysaw:fingers-crossed-emo

Hey Andrew,

CRC makes Contact Cleaner in the aerosol can (Wally-Mart) I use a cloth or paper towels to keep the cleaner off of the lenses covering the speedo and tach. Spray the button area, (I use a short, SMALL, blast of compressed air afterwords) and then spray the buttons again. Sometimes it will take a day or two for the clock to "dry out" after the cleaning. If this doesn't do the trick, then removal of the clock and a therough cleaning (by removing the dash) of the clock is next. On one unit, I never could get the clock working properly, I had to replace the clock. The other three or four cleaned up just fine. :thumbsup2:

Earl

Paysaw, that might be it. I'll check that out later today. I've tried pushing the buttons both when running & off and I could never change the time, well, it changed itself for me I guess.

Skydoc, I'll give it a cleaning when I rip the dash apart. It keeps perfect time when off, so I think the unit is good. Thanks for the hints, tho.

I'll let you know if I get it fixed.

-Andrew

You may have a stuck button.The only way to program the clock is when the bike is running.If you haver a stuck clock button the clock would act like this. The only other way to check this is to pull the cluster and pull out the clock.Check the connections and see if something is stuck or rusted. I will check my 83 and see what would happen if I held a program button in. Cheers and good Luck.. Paysaw:fingers-crossed-emo

That's odd.....mine will only program with the key in the "on" position, but the motor NOT running. Once I fire up the engine, the clock won't respond to the button.

Well, it was a busy day yesterday. Fixed a lot of little issues on the bike. Yup, the rubber buttons were jammed down in the dash, so the clock was in "set" mode and changing time whenever it was on. It was also missing the plastic spacers for setting the hours. The spacer looks like a Lego, so I swiped one of my son's, filed it down slightly, and attached it with double sided foam tape. Now I have a clock that I can set and keeps time. Thanks all!

Great site! Will have to get my money sent and become a full time member.

-Andrew