IGNORED

Oil Leak Question from Venture Newbi

Their is a cover, mid-cylinder, with a phillips screw (seemingly) holding it. I have a flow of oil coming from bottom right side of it.

What is this cover?

Any thoughts on the leak?

Edited by mshowe

Behind that cover is a rubber plug to the COOLANT area around the combustion chamber. Acts as a freeze plug.

Also behind that cover is an open port from the SPARK PLUG WELL. Any liquid in spark plug well will drain behind the side cover.

If you have oil coming out from the side cover, likely you have oil leak from valve covers leaking into the spark plug well. Probably need to replace valve cover gasket.

:080402gudl_prv:

Hey Sean,

There is a "Freeze Plug" right behind that "door", at this point you need to be sure what is actually coming out of the weep hole. If it is indeed engine oil, then most likely your Valve Cover gaskets are leaking and the oil is ending up at the bottom of the cylinder. If you find that the fluid is actually anti-freeze then the freeze plug is leaking.:thumbsup2:

Earl

At least half of the 1st gens out there either have leaky valve cover gaskets or have replaced the valve cover gaskets.

Replacing the gaskets is not hard, but is very time consuming. There is a lot of stuff in the way.

Do some searching, there are a few threads that detail the process.

Mine had oil pouring down the sides of the cylinder before I did mine.

That little leak that you have can easily wait till winter.:snow2:

Here are some more pics. I saw another post about a repair to valve gaskets which involves allowing them to be tighted just a bit more to accommodate for the age of the gasket and shrinkage. Will this address this problem.

Apparently, this weep hole is from the spark plug bay? I don't see any oil where the spark plug is.

What am I missing?

Bottom right rubber is the coolan plug, and looks like it has been seaping.

Pull straight out by screwing small metric screw(dont remember what size maybe m4) into brass middle, and pull on screw.

First drain coolant.

I cleaned my plugs up then put light coat black RTV and put back in.

Top hole is the spark plug well drain, you are correct, I do not see oil here in your pic, but run finger just below the top hole and see if light oil coating that cant be seen.

Looks like drop of oil near center hole, cover bolt hole. This hole is a closed bottom hole with no oil access anywhere near. It is in a casting in the coolant passage. If there was a defect in the casting, a leak thru this hole would be coolant.

The oil drop near cover bolt hole had to come from above at the spark plug well drain.

Also run your finger around valve cover gasket around the spark plug well.

Still think you have valve cover gasket problem, but it is not very severe.

Others here state replace gasket with MK2 type gasket, as they fit easier, but leave excessive flange showing. I replaced mine with OEM MK1, but had motor on bench at the time and was very easy to get lined up.

You can not tighten the valve cover bolts. They are shoulder bolts and only tighten so far. They are probally as tight as they are going to go. you can check these and make sure they are bottomed out but do not overtourqe them as you can break them and then you are really in trouble. Another cure is to remove the bolts and add a thin washer to help them them snug the gasket up. I did this and no more leaks. You need to do all 16 bolts. There is thread here showing how to do this with paper but I used thin metal washers. Takes a little work but saves buying gaskets.

The washers I found would not fit all the way up on to the shoulder bolt and I had to take a round file and enlarge the hole in the washers to make them fit. Home Depot sells fiber washers that would probally do a better job. They are a lot more costly but I will check them next time as I think they will work without having to cut. Not a hard job if you understand what I'm trying to say. The washers need to go pass the shoulder on the bolts.

Edited by Yammer Dan

Thanks to everyone. Gives me a lot to go on.

Yes, I understand the washer concept. That was what I was trying to describe. I saw the thread the other day (fellow who gut gasket material to use as a washer) when I began to think it may be the valve covers.

I appreciate everyone's input. This site is a great resource!

There are a few places on the head casting where the threaded hole actually goes into an oil return. I bet you money marbles or chalk that it's nothing more than the philips screw leaking. There's also another one of those holes in the head holding the #2 manafold...

• 4 weeks later...

I have not taken the time to spend a lot of time on this, so I apologize for posting another follow-up to it. It sure seems like what is leaking is oil, but not I wonder if it is a oil / antifreeze combination.

I want to give a couple more observations and then I can take everything into account moving forward.

I went on about 120 miles ride this weekend. After every stop, several drops of "something". It was a poker run, so about 8 stops.

I had my oil-level window on the lower 1/2 of window. Now, it's approaching the top of the window. Troubling indeed, but maybe someone here can rest my fears. Maybe I just have my bike on a different leveling plane, but it's where I always park in (in general). Is it possible that I am getting coolant into my engine oil?

My oil light did come on once, after it had been idling a while at one of the stops. That is the first time that had occurred.

Again, thank you for all of your "experienced and knowledgeable" thoughts. It is truly appreciated.

I felt a little guilty for posting another reply prior to doing what was recommended in prior posts. So, went to pull the freeze plug.

How hard does one need to pull on this? I gave a tug and it seemed pretty tight. I am sure that is the case, but a sense for how hard would be good. (yes, I did drain coolant).

Thank you.

when ive pulled mine they werent very hard to get out, its been awhile but dont remember reefing on them. maybe with a small blunt tip of a tool you could press around the outer edge to loosen them up. also the threaded tip of a spark plug is the correct thread for plug and gives you something to grab onto. more coolant will leak out when the plug comes so have a rag handy.