IGNORED

Buying a wrecked bike advice...

I'm really wanting to add a 2nd Gen to the stable, but funds are a bit tight. I was looking at a couple bikes online that are wrecked, but appear to only have minor body damage. Mostly busted plastic. Has anyone here took on a project like rebuilding such a bike? I'm just wondering if taking on a project like that would be worth while. Most of the bikes I have seen are going for about half the normal price. What do you guys think?

As long as the plastic that is damaged is fixable (and you can do that yourself) or you can get replacement parts cheap and the engine running gear is good then it's probably worth while. I looked at one a couple years ago but it was too busted up to take the chance. Fairing, tank, lowers, trunk and bags were all damaged yet the bike still ran and drove good.

Mick,

I am currently working on redoing a '99 that has a lot of the plastic missing. It all depends upon how long you want to take to get it done. One thing I will say is that take into consideration all your time your going to spend repairing it, thats worth money in my book. I wouldn't buy any bike for any more than 50% of what fair market value is. It has to be a screaming deal as there WILL be issues come up at some point. :2cents:

Also, be aware of how it is titled. If it is a salvage title, check with your insurance agent. You will likely only be able to insure it for liability - not for collision. At least in Wisconsin, you can only total a vehicle once. In other words, if you wreck it and it is totaled, you get nothing.

Other than that, go for it.

RR

Also, be aware of how it is titled. If it is a salvage title, check with your insurance agent. You will likely only be able to insure it for liability - not for collision. At least in Wisconsin, you can only total a vehicle once. In other words, if you wreck it and it is totaled, you get nothing.

Other than that, go for it.

RR

Good point. At half the price or less and you want a good dependable bike to RIDE then it can be worth it.

Up here I am not sure but if you wanted to sell it, the buyer will not be able to License it, if it was a wreck

Brad

I did a BUNCH of salvage cars. My rule of thumb was that I had to buy, repair, detail and have a finished car ready to sell at two thirds of average retail value. In that figure was a fair profit for me above and beyond was was invested.

So bottom line, it takes a lot of parts availability at fair prices to put something on the road that has been salvaged by the insurance companies.

I had a lot of good cars on the road with NO call backs and very happy drivers. Unfortunately, buy here - pay here car lots took the wind out of that sail :thumbdown: