IGNORED

Ignition switch for RSV

Rick Haywood

OK I believe i have an ignition switch going bad. I turn on the key and nothing other than the stero works. I keep turning it off and on and finally the dash and everything else comes on 28,000 miles on the bike. Does everyone agree it's the switch and if so where is cheapest place to buy one and can I keep the original lock and key.

OK I believe i have an ignition switch going bad. I turn on the key and nothing other than the stero works. I keep turning it off and on and finally the dash and everything else comes on 28,000 miles on the bike. Does everyone agree it's the switch and if so where is cheapest place to buy one and can I keep the original lock and key.

Go to www.partshark.com and look up the parts fiche. Price was 134 bucks last time I looked.

http://www.partshark.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=47261&category=Motorcycles&make=YAMAHA&year=2000&fveh=943

I looked up the MM model and it was 186 bucks but the regular venture was 135 bucks. Dont know what the difference is there but the switch is the same.

There is a great write up on the Venturers website that shows how to reuse the keyed portion of your current ignition switch and just replace the electrical switches. So, yes, you can reuse your current key if the replacement is done correctly.

RR

Take a look at this post.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=34957

The bolts to take the switch apart have some loctite on them so it takes a bit of work to get them apart/

Good luck. If you get a new switch you still need to take them apart and use the old upper have and bottom of the new switch to use the same key.

Brad

I had the same situation as you, I took the ignition switch apart and one of the contacts looked kind of burnt up, and one of the wires had actually desoldered itself off from the heat caused by all of the current going thru the contacts. I was able solder the wire back on and cleaned the contact and it worked again but I was not about to just hook it back up and have it surely do it again. instead I bought an 80Amp relay from electronic store and wired it so the only thing the ignition switch turned on when key was turned to the on position was the relay, next I wired it so the relay switched the power on and off to the motorcycle. Now I have plenty of ampacity to switch power on/off regardless of passing lamps or whatever I want to hook up. The relay was only about $12 so I bought a spare to keep on bike in case I ever need it. Just unplug the bad one and pop in a new one in a matter of minutes. I also did not have to spend all that cash on a new ignition switch and have it rekeyed to match my existing key.

I had the same situation as you, I took the ignition switch apart and one of the contacts looked kind of burnt up, and one of the wires had actually desoldered itself off from the heat caused by all of the current going thru the contacts. I was able solder the wire back on and cleaned the contact and it worked again but I was not about to just hook it back up and have it surely do it again. instead I bought an 80Amp relay from electronic store and wired it so the only thing the ignition switch turned on when key was turned to the on position was the relay, next I wired it so the relay switched the power on and off to the motorcycle. Now I have plenty of ampacity to switch power on/off regardless of passing lamps or whatever I want to hook up. The relay was only about $12 so I bought a spare to keep on bike in case I ever need it. Just unplug the bad one and pop in a new one in a matter of minutes. I also did not have to spend all that cash on a new ignition switch and have it rekeyed to match my existing key.

Below is a link to a write up detailing using a relay to take the load away from the ignition switch. It is on the last three pages of this relay & wiring primer. Before & after schematics.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=43150

This is located in the General Tech section.

Gary