IGNORED

2011 venture?

bj66

It kills me when someone says they are going to buy an Ultra Glide if Yamaha doesn't change the Venture. Guess what the Ultra, with the exception of a little bigger engine, is the same as it was 30 years ago. I used to ride a Roadking and almost every part fit for 30 years. The sucess of the Harley has depended on no change, why do you think they still shake your eyeballs out of there sockets at a red light, because if they balanced them no one would buy them.

Harley has upgraded, new frame, decent stereos,throttle by wire, fuel injection, ABS,6 speed trannys,cylinder shut down hydraulic clutches available,gps available, Harley is going to have to change their demographic is getting older. http://investor.harley-davidson.com/demographics.cfm

Edited by CrazyHorse

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys,

You are going through the same anxiety pains that many of us went through this time of the year in 1993. And after it was evident at the dealers show that there would not be a 1994 Venture, the existing bikes still sitting on dealers showroom floors and in the warehouses, were all bought up. At that time my 91 was still fairly low mileage so I waited for a couple of years before I found a used 93 with 5k on it before I switched bikes. But I was fortunate that I had the 2 bikes in my possession for a short while where I switched plastic and ended up with two 1-of-a-kind Ventures....a black 93 and a blue 91.

And with 120k on my 02 Midnight, I'll do the same thing again if Yamaha makes that same dumb short-sighted decision. There is no way in _ _ LL that buy a Goldwing, BMW or any air cooled V twin, regardless of how good they are. Yeah, I'm pretty much a Venture bigot when it comes to what I (and Linda) like to ride. I just find it hard to beat a water-cooled V-4 with a drive shaft.....regardless that it still has carbs and comes with a cassette player :Laugh:

Rick

I am going to jump in and say 'Liner with new full fairing/lowers, trunk and saddlebags will be new Yamaha Tourer....dont agree with concept but if you hang around the Dephi Ultra Star and Star Stratoline/Roadliner forums you will see lots of people doing it already.......aftermarket batwings and travel trunks are readily available right down to the V-Star level nowadays.

Well, for example, we're traveling at 80 mph, and come up to a couple of cars. The Harleys twisted the throttle and were GONE. My RSV did get up to speed, but just not as fast. We were in a pretty tight formation so we communicate well when we're going to pass. I could see them twist and go. I would twist, wait, and gradually excellerate.

At 80mph in 5th gear on your RSV, you're only churning about 3700 rpm on an engine that will run up to 6000 rpm. Drop her into 4th and run her up to as fast as she'll go.

4th is still an overdrive.

Ditto what Randy said .... I wonder if those Harley buddies were running in 6th gear or did they drop it down to 5th or even 4th to pass?? Ya gotta drive these Yammies the way they were meant to be driven... their power is at higher revvs than those V-twins so drop her down a gear and crank it on next to them HD buddies and you'll soon see the difference as you're looking at them in your mirrors.

Ditto what Randy said .... I wonder if those Harley buddies were running in 6th gear or did they drop it down to 5th or even 4th to pass?? Ya gotta drive these Yammies the way they were meant to be driven... their power is at higher revvs than those V-twins so drop her down a gear and crank it on next to them HD buddies and you'll soon see the difference as you're looking at them in your mirrors.

:sign yeah that:

Some times it still surprises me when I drop it in 3rd to scoot around someone on the freeway (starting at 65mph, or so) (well, that is before my clutch started acting up, lol).

Just talked to my buddy who is the sales manager at the local dealer. He said yesterday he talked to his rep and was told: "no changes...he said next year they will have a big vtwin in the bike but wouldn't say how big"

either it will be the 1900cc raider motor or a totally new motor...

if this is true, no thanks. i'll find something else with 4 cyls.

Guest scarylarry
Just talked to my buddy who is the sales manager at the local dealer. He said yesterday he talked to his rep and was told: "no changes...he said next year they will have a big vtwin in the bike but wouldn't say how big"

either it will be the 1900cc raider motor or a totally new motor...

if this is true, no thanks. i'll find something else with 4 cyls.

Sometimes I wonder if they say that cause they have one on the floor and need to move it, after all if isn't doesn't pan out like he said nothing one can do... I think that the reps. if they know won't say like always, odds are they don't know either..

READ MY LIPS-----

NO NEW TAXES!!!!!!

(oops, wrong speech)

NO NEW VENTURE FOR 2011!!!!!

Here's the scoop. Yamaha only has one or two 2011 new bike introductions that will be announced in September, with delivery to U.S. dealers beginning sometime in the Spring. They are not even in the cruiser or touring category.

As far as "fixes" for the current Venture configuration, we may see some upgrades in a 2012 "XL" model, like a CD instead of the tape deck, passing lamps as standard equipment, a new color scheme, upgraded horn, and possibly a slightly revised dash with more and/or better gauges. The base platform will remain the same - same engine, final drive, carburation, clutch (:starz:), bags, etc. I'm told that there is no plan to discontinue the RSV in deference to a bulked up Stratoliner with trunk and bags added. It's a whole different demographic with that bike. The 2012 "Venture XL" (or some similar designation) is intended to give it some distinction from the current model.

I'm also told that the dealers don't know s--t about anything going on with 2011 or beyond, so anything they tell you is pure conjecture.

By the way, my source is a senior level manager with Yamaha in Cypress CA, who deals with all business divisions within the company in the U.S. And while he is not privy to everything, I believe what he tells me.

Guest scarylarry

As far as "fixes" for the current Venture configuration, we may see some upgrades in a 2012 "XL" model, like a CD instead of the tape deck, passing lamps as standard equipment, a new color scheme, upgraded horn, and possibly a slightly revised dash with more and/or better gauges. The base platform will remain the same - same engine, final drive, carburation, clutch (:starz:), bags, etc. I'm told that there is no plan to discontinue the RSV in deference to a bulked up Stratoliner with trunk and bags added. It's a whole different demographic with that bike. The 2012 "Venture XL" (or some similar designation) is intended to give it some distinction from the current model.

I'm also told that the dealers don't know s--t about anything going on with 2011 or beyond, so anything they tell you is pure conjecture.

By the way, my source is a senior level manager with Yamaha in Cypress CA, who deals with all business divisions within the company in the U.S. And while he is not privy to everything, I believe what he tells me.

Correct me if I'm wrong on this but the carbs will have to go by 2012 according to a EPA standard...Yes?

That would be the ONLY change that would have to be made..

I read somewhere of some standards being in acted over time and thought this would hit the Venture in time, a lot was surrounding 2 cycles engines, that is what got my attention

Correct me if I'm wrong on this but the carbs will have to go by 2012 according to a EPA standard...Yes?

That would be the ONLY change that would have to be made..

I read somewhere of some standards being in acted over time and thought this would hit the Venture in time, a lot was surrounding 2 cycles engines, that is what got my attention

I'm pretty sure the final of the tiered EPA standard went in to effect Jan 2010. I was surprised Royal Stars were still had carburetors for this year.

Guest scarylarry
I'm pretty sure the final of the tiered EPA standard went in to effect Jan 2010. I was surprised Royal Stars were still had carburetors for this year.

I thought that but seems like I read since they was made before the 01/10 the could pass thru, so IF there is a 2011 that mean a change would be in place correct?

I know this is a guess at best..

Let me go back and see if that is what the law said and how it will be applied

There is no cut off date for carbs. As long as a mfg can meet the epa requirements you can use carbs, however the requirments are going to get so tough that the only way to meet them will be fuel injection.

My sister in law is a policy writer for the EPA in Washington, and she says that the target for 4-cycle engine conversions away from carbs is 2016. They are more concerned with 2-cycle emissions right now. For some reason, the EPA is much more hung up on pollution particle counts from lawn mowers and weed wackers than they are with motorcycles. We're kind of an afterthought in the general "automotive/transportation" category with the EPA.

And the rule making takes years to finalize and implement, so carburated bikes, ATV's and other powersports products are probably not going anywhere for another 4 or 5 years at least.

My sister in law is a policy writer for the EPA in Washington, and she says that the target for 4-cycle engine conversions away from carbs is 2016. They are more concerned with 2-cycle emissions right now. For some reason, the EPA is much more hung up on pollution particle counts from lawn mowers and weed wackers than they are with motorcycles. We're kind of an afterthought in the general "automotive/transportation" category with the EPA.

And the rule making takes years to finalize and implement, so carburated bikes, ATV's and other powersports products are probably not going anywhere for another 4 or 5 years at least.

Probably because of their efforts in the 70s they killed all street legal 2-strokes a long time ago. But actually there are several European manufactures of small 2-strokes for scotters that now meet EPA standards. They are different technology and do not mix gas and oil. I believe Vespa has a couple models with that technology they sell outside the U.S. only.

It's not as bad as it looks. But, even with the shaking at idle, who goes anywhere "at idle". Silly arguement to me. I ride my Harley when I want to go in style and my lst Edition when I have to be there quickly. Everyone should own both. I, however, have an American Standard mount on only one of em.

No, not the kind you might get in prison!

"Silly argument to me."

I gotta disagree MasterGuns. Sitting at a light is one of the times we are MOST vulnerable. Sad example is the recent death of a local motorcyclist, due to a stupid cage driver painting her nails and running her over at a light.

When I'm at a light and stopped I watch my mirrors like a hawk before taking her out of 1st gear to ensure the car behind me is slowing down.

Maybe it won't save me, looking in my mirrors, but it does make me feel a bit better.

Semper Fi!