IGNORED

Gel pad from wal-mart

bj66

I recently had a post about seat beads and somebody suggested trying a gel pad from wal mart instead. I tried the beads and hate them, so I bought the 20 dollar pad. I just got back from sturgis. It is roughly a 350 mile trip one way for me. Since this is the first time I have traveled a good distance with it I was skeptical how long I would be comfy. Well I'll say this, my bike is no longer a 350-400 mile per day bike. I could easily double that now if i wanted. I could sit in the seat all day. So if anybody is having seat trouble (all you rstd'ers like me) give it a try, you might be surprised. 2 of my friends bought them too. 1 rides a vtx, and the other a wing. They guy on the vtx couldnt believe how much they help. The wing rider was comfy anyway, but even he noticed a difference.

I recently had a post about seat beads and somebody suggested trying a gel pad from wal mart instead. I tried the beads and hate them, so I bought the 20 dollar pad. I just got back from sturgis. It is roughly a 350 mile trip one way for me. Since this is the first time I have traveled a good distance with it I was skeptical how long I would be comfy. Well I'll say this, my bike is no longer a 350-400 mile per day bike. I could easily double that now if i wanted. I could sit in the seat all day. So if anybody is having seat trouble (all you rstd'ers like me) give it a try, you might be surprised. 2 of my friends bought them too. 1 rides a vtx, and the other a wing. They guy on the vtx couldnt believe how much they help. The wing rider was comfy anyway, but even he noticed a difference.

Where in Walmart did you find this gel pad what section? Do you have a picture of it?

Joe

Edited by star4772

I tried for about a year to find them in more than 1 local wal-mart. I never could. Others still had luck finding them on other boards. About a month or 2 ago, they just built a Big Lots in my town and they had them for $10 in their automotive section.

If anyone is interested I will check them out to see if they have anymore and I will get them. You will just need to reimburse me for item + shipping. Might end up being around the same cost anyway.

Send me an e-mail to lylejt@yahoo.com subject seat pad. If there is enough interest I will get as many as I can (if they have any left). When I was there they had 6 or 7 of them.

The Butler mod was the best 40 bucks I have ever spent. Like night and day. I stopped by his house and an hour later I picked up the seat. Great guy and a great mod.

Gotta agree with that. Recently took a 1500+ mile trip. Best $40 I have spent too. Especially when you have a friend take your seat with them to M.D. to have him do it so you don't have to pay shipping.

Just guessing if you have to ship it to him cost will be around $80+

Doubt I will ever need the pad from Big Lots. Oh and it isn't a gel pad. It is basically a bunch of rubber squares.

Gotta agree with that. Recently took a 1500+ mile trip. Best $40 I have spent too. Especially when you have a friend take your seat with them to M.D. to have him do it so you don't have to pay shipping.

Just guessing if you have to ship it to him cost will be around $80+

Doubt I will ever need the pad from Big Lots. Oh and it isn't a gel pad. It is basically a bunch of rubber squares.

Yeah your right, not gel i guess. But Gel or rubber squares they work.

Ditto on this. Did the same thing and just got home this afternoon. Rode 1800 miles round trip in 4 days (2 day out and 2 back) and no problems with sorness. I even sent my buddy to the Walmart near Spearfish and had him buy one for his sore butt. He was thrilled as it reduced his pain approx 50% ( he rides a Victory cruiser. Not a seat for long distance).

I could not find one at Wal-Mart but I did find one at Costco for $14.95 and it is a gel-seat. Looks very similar to the pictures above but in the mess you can see the rows of gel under the mess. It states it keeps you cool also and it does.

We bought the pad when we were in St. Charles MO. and Peg loves it !!!!!!!

Along with the sheepskin she said it was great.... it enabled her to make it back home in one day with her back problem 650+miles in one day

she said if not for the pad she wouldn't made it home!!!!!!!

Down here they sell out pretty quick.

Bought one for LilBit to help with the heat. I thought it would be too hot, but she claims it was cooler than the seat alone. She has Rick's mod's on the seat and that is awesome! She tried the butt beads, but likes the gel better.

I use Rick's seat mod with the beads (in Summer).

Guest scarylarry

Good luck on finding it, amazon is out and other forums report they are having a hard time finding this....

I do have a big lot and wall y world close by so I will hit them myself..

Thanks

attachment.php?attachmentid=48951&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1281672563 attachment.php?attachmentid=48952&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1281672563 attachment.php?attachmentid=48953&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1281672563

I tried Walmart here in Ontario without luck but like Wade (Old&slow) says, Canadian Tire carries these in Canada. I found that the pad was wider at the front than the seat on my 88VR so that it had the effect of making it a bit awkward to touch the ground with my feet and use my front pegs. However, it is easy to remove the inside pad and trim it with scissors to fit the top shape of your seat --- and yes, I can definitely can ride more miles in comfort with the pad in place and it is not as hot in the sun. However, I would say that overall, it is good but not great for comfort.

Evan

Good luck on finding it, amazon is out and other forums report they are having a hard time finding this.... I do have a big lot and wall y world close by so I will hit them myself..

Thanks

attachment.php?attachmentid=48951&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1281672563 attachment.php?attachmentid=48952&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1281672563 attachment.php?attachmentid=48953&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1281672563

Guest scarylarry
I tried Walmart here in Ontario without luck but like Wade (Old&slow) says, Canadian Tire carries these in Canada. I found that the pad was wider at the front than the seat on my 88VR so that it had the effect of making it a bit awkward to touch the ground with my feet and use my front pegs. However, it is easy to remove the inside pad and trim it with scissors to fit the top shape of your seat --- and yes, I can definitely can ride more miles in comfort with the pad in place and it is not as hot in the sun. However, I would say that overall, it is good but not great for comfort.

Evan

Ok road trip to Canada to buy one..........

Thanks for the photos. I've looked at Walmart before, and didn't know if they were out or if I didn't know what I was looking for. Now I have a chance of recognizing them... in the auto section?

The Butler mod has served us well, but 40,000 miles later, a pair of back-to-back 800 mile days makes me think something extra would be welcomed on LD rides.

Dave

Guest scarylarry
Thanks for the photos. I've looked at Walmart before, and didn't know if they were out or if I didn't know what I was looking for. Now I have a chance of recognizing them... in the auto section?

The Butler mod has served us well, but 40,000 miles later, a pair of back-to-back 800 mile days makes me think something extra would be welcomed on LD rides.

Dave

I been reading about this on other forums and some wally worlds are in the auto section and some are just right out of it....My wally world here has MC covers and what few items they carry in the marine section, so I guess it depends on wally world..

We bought the pad when we were in St. Charles MO. and Peg loves it !!!!!!!

Along with the sheepskin she said it was great.... it enabled her to make it back home in one day with her back problem 650+miles in one day

she said if not for the pad she wouldn't made it home!!!!!!!

Down here they sell out pretty quick.

buddy did you get your at wal-mart

I already sit up plenty high in the saddle. How does sitting on a pad like this impact your seat height?

raises me up maybe 1/2 to 1 inch. At first felt like it put me up to high,but 5 miles down the road didn't notice and does help me on the longer rides.