IGNORED

Advances in Health Care

friesman

When I was reading Freebirds article on the work done on his eye it occurred to me that we have seen some amazing advances in medicine and the things they can do to help out eyesight is nothing short of amazing. BUT it is Really unnerving and can be painful depending on the procedure done. The You Tube video I am posting is the same as the one done on me, but they dont show the needles used to freeze the eye that are inserted into the corners of the eye at the start of the procedure. I was wondering why i stil have an ache in the muscle behind my eye over a month after the surgery, after watching this now I know.....lol! My doc insisted I do this with a local anesthetic and it was a curious/cool/eeeewww! feeling when I could watch the instruments from inside my eye.... This is a graphic video of a medical procedure and I am posting just so those that are curious can see what is now possible, but again I warn it is graphic.

Brian

go to youtube.com/watch?v=ZZhM3hmmCiE

I agree that the advances are amazing and yet there is still so much that they can't do much of anything for. There are new things coming all the time though so there is always hope.

I just don't think I can click on your link right now. I saw more than I wanted to in person yesterday. I will look at it later though. :)

I agree that the advances are amazing and yet there is still so much that they can't do much of anything for. There are new things coming all the time though so there is always hope.

I just don't think I can click on your link right now. I saw more than I wanted to in person yesterday. I will look at it later though. :)

I am amazed at what they can do now, and with You Tube we can view almost anything. I couldnt view this until a week ago. The stuff I saw while i was awake thru this procedure lasted me for quite a while.

We are living in an amazing time, I would have been blind if my cataracts and retina issues had happened to me just 40 years ago.

There are going to continue be breakthroughs that are going to help people like you and me make our lives so much better than anyone thought possible just a couple of years ago.

(Sorry for posting the link, I didnt intend to freak you out..)

Brian

Thank you I am sending the link to my brother in law as he has eye trouble.

If your b-i-l has issues he should see someone asap, DO NOT WAIT!!! If he has a retina detachment it is very important to get surgery as soon as possible. If he doesnt the retina cant be reattached, I had my surgery within hours of it being discovered and while my vision isnt perfect yet its getting better daily.

If he needs more info tell him to call me and ill tell him what I know, but he needs to see somone who knows way more than me about eye surgery.

brian

Started to watch that video but had to stop. I think I'll still have nightmares tonight.:yikes:

Larry

Try seeing it from the inside as it was done while I was awake......its the most intense thing ive ever had done. I could actually see the instruments working inside the eye.....and that just sent shivers down my spine...BUT i am so thankful that we have the technology and the people to do that kinda stuff.

Brian

I started watching and will finish it later, uck. Hate anything near my eyes so I think a local will not do the trick.

All the best to you both with the situation with your eyes. But have to admit there is still hope they will advance a little more for the ones that can't see at all.

Brad

At least I don't have that problem. I'm now totally blind in the right eye anyway so I can't see them working on it. :)

The way the technology and Hi tech training is going keep beleiving that there will be some help for your eye and all of the issues that youre dealing with.

Brian

That would be nice but I'm thinking doubtful at this time. I lost the vision because of radiation damage to the optic nerve. This new problem is also related to the radiation damage. It's OK....I'm really getting used to it so long as the other eye continues to do it's job. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I had corrective laser eye surgery about 5 years ago. I go to watch the whole thing. I saw the cutter cut the flap in my cornea and I saw the little hook tool pull the cornea flap out of the way and saw the laser light zap my eye. Then I saw the little hook tool place and smooth the cornea flap back in place. I think the second eye was worse than the first because I knew what was coming next.

The neat thing was that I instantly could see better than I had ever seen even though than my eyes hurting and being very watery. Eye surgery has come a long way, however it is still very scary looking from the patients perspective.

When I was reading Freebirds article on the work done on his eye it occurred to me that we have seen some amazing advances in medicine and the things they can do to help out eyesight is nothing short of amazing. BUT it is Really unnerving and can be painful depending on the procedure done. The You Tube video I am posting is the same as the one done on me, but they dont show the needles used to freeze the eye that are inserted into the corners of the eye at the start of the procedure. I was wondering why i stil have an ache in the muscle behind my eye over a month after the surgery, after watching this now I know.....lol! My doc insisted I do this with a local anesthetic and it was a curious/cool/eeeewww! feeling when I could watch the instruments from inside my eye.... This is a graphic video of a medical procedure and I am posting just so those that are curious can see what is now possible, but again I warn it is graphic.

Brian

go to youtube.com/watch?v=ZZhM3hmmCiE

Appears as if that is the same thing I had done. I wondered where they put the needles. I am sure glad they put you under for a couple of minutes when they do that becuse there is no way I could watch them do that without jumping up and running away:rotf: