IGNORED

For those of you who have not ...

sgn

Let me stress how easy "greasin the splines" are.

This is a job I was really putting off, sounded like a lot of work and just more than I wanted to get into.

RandyA had been after me to "get it done" so last night was the time.

Off work about five and a call to Randy, yes we had everything we needed and he would be on his way.

About six I was in the shop taking off the saddle bags and getting tools out.

Off with the rear caliper and muffler, out with the cotter pin and off with the castle nut on the rear axle, even had to fight the rear light bar but not bad.

With the help of Randy and the center stand, lean the bike over and out comes the rear wheel and tire.

4 bolts and washers and the rear end is removed, a pull and I'm holding the drive shaft.

So good so far, a little cleaning and grease application and re-assembly starts.

Now the part that had me worried - putting the drive shaft back in - the horror stories about how difficult it was to get it reseated!

My first attempt doing it "my way" was a wash out. Laying on the floor I look up and see the sly grin of Randy staring down at me, he says "Want me to show you the trick", I reply "Well it's evident my way didn't work".

He hands me a small pair of needle nose vise grip pliers and tells me clamp onto the gear end of the shaft, will not damage the gear, just tight enough to hold on to it. Slide the shaft in until it stops, now push down and the rear of the shaft, lifting the nose end with the splines and push it in.

:wow:the things goes right in !!!

My attempt and his took all of two minutes !!!

Put it all back togeather, put the luggage back on talk about Asheville Rally, drink some water, compare light bars, talk about life and solve all the worlds problems.

Hey, we got motorcycles what are we standing around talking for. lets gear up and ride.

8:00 PM ride with a good friend - what more can you ask for....

Thanks, Randy for all the help with "Tent Peg"

Steve Neal

P.S. Grease those splines NOW the drive shaft you save may be your own !

is it as easy on the 2nd gens?

the pins and splines are soooo easy. I have not pulled my shaft (hehe),but had watched it done as well as seeing the changing of the pumpkin oil. I don't think it would be hard at all. there are a couple tricks to getting the shaft back in, but those are in other threads.

I am surprised at how many things are easy enough to do on the second gens. I like doing my maint work.

Sure, the only Difference is that 2Gens have no Center Stand, you need a Lift to bring it up in the Air. A Carbon_One Adapter is an Option for that ...

I have the imitation carbon one lift adapater. I wish I had gotten his. the imitator does not have legs to add and then lower and get you jack out of the way.

for those who don't have a lift adapter yet and want one, get carbon's. getting your jack out of the way will make doing work so much easier.

I have the imitation carbon one lift adapater. I wish I had gotten his. the imitator does not have legs to add and then lower and get you jack out of the way.

for those who don't have a lift adapter yet and want one, get carbon's. getting your jack out of the way will make doing work so much easier.

I just use a regular floor jack under the bike.Lift up the bike,remove the rear tire and get down to business.I have left the bike on the floor jack for 3 or 4 days with no problems.