IGNORED

Do all of you really put the bike

I put my bike on the center stand every time I stop, but I do not have a manual and had no idea you were supposed to adjust the CLASS system on it, I've always done it if I have not ridden in a couple of days before I start off, when it is on no stand at all.

on the center stand everytime you adjust the class system air pressures?

I know the book says to do it that way ,but really do you do it everytime?

No I don't adjust it on center stand..

I even bought a switch tonight so I can activate it & adjust it while riding. It will be a simple mod to activate it while the key is on. I don't want to wire it that way permanently though.

Gary

i adjust mine on side stand, center stand, while holding it , and with 2 up on it. So far it has worked flawlessly.

I would love to be able to adjust mine while moving, last week i was riding 2up in a group and forgot to adjust before rolling and had to ride for over an hour until we had a group break.

Dingy, if you could do a quick write up and pics on that rolling adjustment mod I would love it.

Brian

I always do. Once while I was riding I felt the bike wasn't riding right. I pulled over in a parking lot and WITHOUT putting bike on center stand adjusted the front and rear air. When I got home I put bike ON center stand and checked it again. WOW air was a LOT higher then when I set it off the stand. From then on I always check it on the stand.

THE ABOVE STATEMENT COULD BE FROM A BRAIN CRAMP BROUGHT ON BY ADVANCING AGE. Because I have never set air off the stand again so I cannot confirm it made a difference.

Ok you all, let me have it. :Im not listening to

Well guys,

First you have to understand why we even have air adjustment on our suspension system, which is used to set the bike's preload or ride height. Sport bikes have a preload adjustment front & rear that compresses the spring to provide more resistence, which raises the bike to get the correct sag measurment of 30mm for most street bikes.

But the Class System allows us to raise or lower our suspension at the push of the button, something that most of we 2nd Gen riders are envious of. And Yamaha provides pressure readings for the Class system that are dependent on the load being exerted on the bike. So if you set the rear suspension at say 40lbs with the bike on the centerstand (unloaded), if you check it again off the centerstand with the rider and passenger on the bike, you will see a much higher pressure reading, say maybe 60 lbs. So on the other hand if you were able to adjust the pressure while riding and set it on say 50lbs, you effectively will end up adjusting it by say 25lbs unloaded or a lesser ride height than you want. So if you know the adjusted difference that you need based upon the bike's load, then you can adjust the suspension while on the bike and moving. The only time it ever worked for me when I was on the bike is when I wanted to drain all of the air out of the front forks....when I got to the point of riding in the curves.

And additional air in a suspension does pretty much nothing to the ride or the compression or rebound dampening. That is with one exception.....that air acts like a progressive wound spring where the more you compress a fixed volume of air the more it resists?

Hope this helps,

Rick

Hi Rick,

Your post does help, This bike is hard to center stand " I have a secret method I use here at home" but on the road its not nice to pull it onto the stand, The book recommends only adjusting the class system while on the center stand and no one sitting on the seat, it seems to be more accurate when done this way and probably a lot less stress on the pump and shocks.

I was just wondering what others were doing and any affects that might have shown up from adjusting under a load.

Rick

on the center stand everytime you adjust the class system air pressures?

I know the book says to do it that way ,but really do you do it everytime?

YEP..... I guess I should add that I don't adjust the ride. Because I'm so petite :whistling: I keep the presures at max and the rear dampner on 4.

Edited by Condor

I've owned 1st editions for going on 25 years now and never have I placed one on the center stand to adjust the air (up or down). I normally adjust the air with the bike supporting its own weight and mine. But I do like the idea of Dinky's mod and am also interested in adding it.

I adjust mine on the side stand. I agree with Rick though, if I were setting it on the center stand I'd probably need to set a lower pressure.

Seems to me like it's probably more important that you consistently do it the same way so you get the results you expect.

I can see a possibility, if parked on a hill or unlevel ground, that the motorcycle could fall over when adjusting the CLASS on the side stand. This may be why Yamaha suggests the center stand.

I usualy adjust mine on the center stand. It seems to give me the effect Im looking for more consistantly. Now I did adjust it once on the side stand when we were trying to get it in sleeperhawks garage and needed it to stand up a little straighter. I let all the air out and she stood wright up.

David

I put mine on the center stand whenever the bike is in the garage. I always check the pressure in the morning before going to work. Holds pressure a lot better now that I replaced all the stinkin' leaky o-rings on the valve body!!