IGNORED

Custom Paint

donphantasmo

One of my buddies has a Harley Fatboy (he's not too bright). But I didn't see his bike all last year. I asked him why isn't he riding, and he said, "you'll see". He came to work all this year with such a bad a$$ paint job, he made all of us want to paint our bikes.

The truth is, with a regular bike (without the saddle bags, front fenders and touring pack), it's much easier to design and paint something cool. But with all the extra stuff on the Venture, I think it's harder to keep clean flowing lines.

I've looked at 3 other posts that have a few custom paint jobs. Some I like, some I didn't care for. I'm a simple guy. Maybe flames, but everyone has them. I'm not much for murals. Two tone might be my best answer. I have a 2000 RSV with the red on red color.

Does anyone have a custom (even if it's slightly custom) second generation RSV they'd like to show off. I'd love to get some ideas. I'm leaning towards candy red with an ostrache seat.

Any pics will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!

Two tone might be my best answer. I have a 2000 RSV with the red on red color.

HI Don.

Well I am a little stunned here since in my eyes you have the by far most beautiful color combination Yamaha ever came up with for the Sec.Gen Venture so far. I have a 1998 Tour Classic two tone - Emerald green and cream/beige and like that very much for my bike but I have an extra set of fenders and tank and intend to paint that set Candy apple red and Cream/Beige. Intend to have a fainted airbrush paint crack theme in the Candy Apple color. I think that Yamaha came up with a very nice setup regarding the placement of the colors and pinstriping on the fenders and tank and I intend to follow there steps. You can have a look at my profile to see my bikes so you can see how the original colors are divided on the fenders and tank on the earlier Royal Stars.

Keep us posted as your work progresses and remember to post pictures. I will do the same when I will start with my bike here in Iceland but that will be a year from now at least the warden tells me.

friendly regards from Iceland,

I own a red/red 2000 Venture.

Over 40 years of riding I've had dozens and dozens of different motorcycles, but I have never recieved the compliments on any other scoot that I get on my stock painted RSV.

The only way I might (maybe) paint this bike is if Arlen Ness offered to do it for free......and gave me a loaner to ride while the Venture was in the shop.

:2cents:

StarFan and StrayCatt, I couldn't agree with you more. The division of the two (very) close reds was a great idea from Yamaha. Also, I am inclined to agree about how that might be the best color combination for a stock motorcycle.

However, when I ride with someone that has a very customized bike, I look like I'm borrowing this stock bike from my dad, lol...

I just wanted to spruce it up a little. Like I said, I like the color red. Maybe just a little more dazzle. Nothing too overboard. Just a little something extra...

I thank you two for the compliments on the color, and StrayCatt, I get compliments on it, as well. I just don't want to blend in that much!!

Here's my 2007 Midnight Venture. I took everything off the bike except the rear fender and took it to my local body shop.

They mixed and touched up the black where there was a few chips and called me. I went over and we laid out the lines with tape, then mixed the Dupont Spectra Master YM 316. When it was shot we called Jaybird (pinstriper) and he did his thing then it was clear coated.

The next day I picked everything up and took it home and installed.

Had just a tad over a week down time.

I did my trunk with diffrent stripes but Idont have a clue how to down size pics to put any on here and ever time I try nothing happens. I am going to do something with the tank this winter just cant make up my mind what. Do yourself a favor and take alot of close up pictures of the bike as you take it apart so you know were and how things go back. It comes apart easier than it goes back together. I tore her down in a day but took me a few to put back because I would get it part way then remember a part and have to take it back apart to put something on. Just a little tip. Oh go to your HD store and start looking around and look at them on line they do have some great pain jobs that you can get ideas from or copy.

• 2 weeks later...

If I had a two tone bike that I really liked the color combination, but wanted to give it a customized look I would look at dividing the two tone with something like Victory did on the Cross Country. It sort of looks like lace between the two colors, but when you look at it, it's actually skulls. Here's a pic.

http://www.ultimatemotorcycling.com/files/2010-victory-motorcycles-cross-roads-country%202_0.jpg