IGNORED

The RSV Chapter, turning the page...[sniff]

Christo

Well, wow, how does one part with ten years of great rides and memories?! A bittersweet moment in my life is about to take place.

I am selling my 1999 RSV. It is time for a change. The Mrs. is not too happy, but she knows sometimes you just have to make some changes and move forward. :crying:

I am flying out to Belton, MO this week to pick up a 2009.... oh god I can't believe I am going to write this.... HD Ultra Classic. Yeah, I know - hard to believe, even for me it is hard to believe, and then ride it back home - 11 hours on the road.

The thing is this, I have been waiting, and waiting, and waiting for Yammie to update this bike. I want the modern "stuff" that HD puts on their bikes. I rode one a week ago, it felt smaller than our RSV's, and not quite as "robust", but it was smooth, lighter for "me" (I am small guy), and I liked all the modern gadgetry. Now I did not just get whatever the local Dealer had... I read, researched and looked for what "I" wanted - features and colors scheme. I still think the bikes are a tad over priced.

If you want to see The Soon-to-be new ride :Avatars_Gee_George:

I still have my 2006 Yam Stratoliner for my tootin round town fun.

So let the chastising begin!:Im not listening to

So if ya know anyone looking for a very loaded, clean, well kept, pristine, 1999 RSV - send em my way!

I put an ad here on VROrg and it is listed on CraigsList

:mo money:

Edited by Christo

No chastising from here. That is a nice looking bike (as is the LT in the background). Enjoy your new ride.

Besides, there is no rule against riding the HD until the 3rd Gen Venture comes out. It will retain it's value and keep you on the road.

And, it will be easy to sell when you are ready to come back home.:smile5:

Ride safely on your way back to the golden dome.

RR

No chastising from here. That is a nice looking bike (as is the LT in the background). Enjoy your new ride.

Besides, there is no rule against riding the HD until the 3rd Gen Venture comes out. It will retain it's value and keep you on the road.

And, it will be easy to sell when you are ready to come back home.:smile5:

Ride safely on your way back to the golden dome.

RR

That is what my thought was. Try something new and different. If and when Yam decides to UG this Bike, I can always sell the HD and get back to the RSV.

Thanks Guys. This was not an easy and overnight decision. I have been on this fence now for three years.

congrats.......thats a purdy bike. If I had the income to purchase on I would maybey be convinced..............But then again Im wanting a new wing.

David

Thanks! I have been saving all my pennies - I have not needed to buy anymore shiny things for the RSV since I got all that could be get! ;-)

I am not old enough for a wing yet. :stirthepot: :rotf:

Chastise this! I am so jealous, that is an awesome bike. I think white is the best color going. I love my Midnight RSV, but would love to have the white Ultra. My thought is, those who want to tell you what to ride have the option to pay for it. Congrats on the new bike.

Guest Boomerbiker

I am not far from you (Coldwater, MI) and just returned from a 4,381 mile hike to St. George, UT on a 2006 Venture. The bike performed flawlessly, as always, but I would like to see ABS, heated grips, EFI, adequate alternator output, etc. Test drove the 2010 Ultra Glide Limited in Fort Wayne and the handling definitely better than the Venture. It just seems overpriced, especially considering the engine. Your bike is an absolute beauty, though. Congrats.

Christo,

There are many that are leaving the Venture platform for the exact reason you are. I dont blame any of you at all, I have my Harley, albeit given to me as I couldn't afford one. Yamaha had better pull their head out of the arse as I know many other who have the income to purchase a new bike will leave the brand and look at something that is updated with the times. I can't really afford another new Venture, so I will bring the '99 I have back to life and ride the hell out of it.

That is a beautiful H/D and I know you'll get many miles out of it. Dont think of leaving us as Leadwolf knows where you live and we'll hunt you down like a rabid critter!

Very nice!! One of the things I like about Harley is that they have some nice color combos. I like their blue and silver combos as well as the white/pewter that you got.

Yamaha is lazy with their color combos. They need to get a bit more imaginative like they were back in the early 2nd Gen. colors. This color/raven, color/raven kick they're on sucks.

Then when they bring out a two tone blue they only sell it in Canada... And give America a midnight with flames... What the heck is up with THAT?

I don't like the midnights and 85% of what you see for sale now are midnights.

:soapbox:

Enjoy!! :thumbsup2:

Guest tx2sturgis

Congrats on the new ride....I wonder if that bike has had the stage one mods...seems priced about right.

I wonder why it has only 1600 miles on it....maybe the original owner had money issues, or it scared him, or maybe it was a dealers show bike?

Either way....enjoy.

Christo,

There are many that are leaving the Venture platform for the exact reason you are. I dont blame any of you at all, I have my Harley, albeit given to me as I couldn't afford one. Yamaha had better pull their head out of the arse as I know many other who have the income to purchase a new bike will leave the brand and look at something that is updated with the times. I can't really afford another new Venture, so I will bring the '99 I have back to life and ride the hell out of it.

That is a beautiful H/D and I know you'll get many miles out of it. Dont think of leaving us as Leadwolf knows where you live and we'll hunt you down like a rabid critter!

Thanks Squidley! I feel I gave that bike a good ten years of companionship - I have updated and upgraded all I could. I still LOVE the bike, but if I do not make the leap soon, I won't be able to get what I can from it financially.

My personal opinion, the RSV as far as "comfort" beats the HD UC hands down, but I want something more modern and with the times.... that part HD is doing right.

LOL - Kevin - I still want to ride with anyone - I will not become an HD snob! :stickinouttounge:

Chastise this! I am so jealous, that is an awesome bike. I think white is the best color going. I love my Midnight RSV, but would love to have the white Ultra. My thought is, those who want to tell you what to ride have the option to pay for it. Congrats on the new bike.

Thanks Jerry - that was the hardest part - finding a color I liked that was different than all the others out there - and THEN finding the color with the right amenities! I was able to ONLY find 3 of them in the USA by all the E means I had my disposal.

So I need to find me a rich beeeyotch for a wife who insists on me having an HD? :whistling:

(don't tell Tinamarie I said that!) :Avatars_Gee_George:

I am not far from you (Coldwater, MI) and just returned from a 4,381 mile hike to St. George, UT on a 2006 Venture. The bike performed flawlessly, as always, but I would like to see ABS, heated grips, EFI, adequate alternator output, etc. Test drove the 2010 Ultra Glide Limited in Fort Wayne and the handling definitely better than the Venture. It just seems overpriced, especially considering the engine. Your bike is an absolute beauty, though. Congrats.

Boomer,

I hear ya. You hit most of my issues. The price is what has always kept me away from HD's for the most part - not to mention their availability for many years was scarce. I was REALLY hoping that with the econ hit for the last years I would get a better "deal", *HA! Boy was I wrong... I got a good buy on the HD, NADA and KBB say it is worth $22K and I got it for $19.5 - still pricey for a used momo in my book. Hopefully it will be worth it.

Thanks for the compliment on the color! :sun:

Congrats on the new ride....I wonder if that bike has had the stage one mods...seems priced about right.

I wonder why it has only 1600 miles on it....maybe the original owner had money issues, or it scared him, or maybe it was a dealers show bike?

Either way....enjoy.

Dealer said - volunteered repossession.

No Stage 1 - yet! :thumbsup2:

I was bidding on another one out of Ohio - 345 miles, Owner had two friends get into accidents and decided not to ride anymore. His employee was selling it for him, it sold on eBay for $19,500.

That's funny! My wife and I just got back from test riding a used Electra glide, and this was the first thread I saw when I got back home.

So what were your initial thoughts of your test ride?

I rented one (HD UC Limited) two weeks ago for a day so I could get a feel without having any pressure of being gone for more than 5 mins.

Very nice!! One of the things I like about Harley is that they have some nice color combos. I like their blue and silver combos as well as the white/pewter that you got.

Yamaha is lazy with their color combos. They need to get a bit more imaginative like they were back in the early 2nd Gen. colors. This color/raven, color/raven kick they're on sucks.

Then when they bring out a two tone blue they only sell it in Canada... And give America a midnight with flames... What the heck is up with THAT?

I don't like the midnights and 85% of what you see for sale now are midnights.

:soapbox:

Enjoy!! :thumbsup2:

Agreed - but the most popular color for HD is black. The HD sales dude I spoke with said they can't paint them black pearl ones fast enough!

I do like your color choice - that was my third, the 2nd one for me was the silver/black, and 4th was the solid blue.

So what were your initial thoughts of your test ride?

We had ridden a new UC last month. This one is a 2006, and it seems to have more vibration. It shakes like crazy sitting still, and smooths out a lot when you get going, but there was still a lot of vibration in the foot boards. My wife even noticed it in the passenger boards.

That is a GOOD LOOKING bike !! I've never owned a Harley and it's been almost 30 years since I rode one so I can't comment on anything except that I like my Venture over any of the 7 GoldWings I've owned.

Modern technology doesn't excite me except in medicine and as long as my Venture keeps my wife happy with the ride, I'm not goin anywhere.

Again, that's a real nice ride - Congrats !!

Nice ride! A person needs to ride what a person wants to ride. Brand loyalty is one thing but if it's not what you want then you need to get what it is you want. I like my Venture but if I stopped liking it I would not hesitate to move on to what I wanted. :Venture:

Sweet ride you getting there!! I fell in Love with Mavricks New Ultra when we were down at his house picking up the black Stallion I always like the HD Ultra just could not afford the high price tag they come with $$ we took a Ultra for a test ride and Peg said no its shakes to much for her at red lights but for me I really liked the ride it was really smooth on the open road to me it rode better than the RSV but Peg said she prefers the Wing or RSV... as long the bike has intercom & C/B we are just fine with what we have ..

Nice ride love the color too............:thumbsup2:

Sweet ride you getting there!! I fell in Love with Mavricks New Ultra when we were down at his house picking up the black Stallion I always like the HD Ultra just could not afford the high price tag they come with $$ we took a Ultra for a test ride and Peg said no its shakes to much for her at red lights but for me I really liked the ride it was really smooth on the open road to me it rode better than the RSV but Peg said she prefers the Wing or RSV... as long the bike has intercom & C/B we are just fine with what we have ..

Nice ride love the color too............:thumbsup2:

Thanks Buddy! I have to agree with your wife - I am wondering if we will get "used" to that red light shake as well. Funny thing, HD is aware of that, and it is intentional?! :confused24: