IGNORED

Final Drive Oil Leak on 03

I have noticed some oil on the left side of the rear wheel and tire of my 03 Venture after a long ride of say 50 + miles. I noticed it for the first time about a month ago and thought it was just road oil and washed if off. After a ride this past Sunday I noticed it again and now I’m sure it’s an oil leak on the final drive. I stopped by the local dealer yesterday and asked them to check with Mama Yama to see if they would cover the repair under warranty since I first noticed the problem last month (my warranty was up the 19 of this month). If they don’t cover it I will do the repair myself. I am thinking that it’s the oil seal which is just behind the bearing housing on the final drive. What do you folks think? Has any one else had an oil leak here and if so do you have any suggestions on the replacement of the oil seal? I’m thinking it’s a straight forward repair with no hidden issues. Thanks for your input. I’m hoping that Yamaha will pay for it but I want to be prepared to do it myself just in case. If I end up doing the repair myself I’m going to take pictures and do a work up on the repair for the site so the next person will have a tech article to follow.

I assume that you've check to see that it's not just leaking from the drain plug at the bottom. Could be that the crush washer wasn't changed out last time and it's leaking from there.

Yes I did, that was the first place I looked. In retrospect if it had been leaking from the drain plug I would have had a Harley puddle under the bike when it was sitting.

I heard back from Mama Yama and they are graciously going to pay for the O-Ring ($7.78) but not the labor so it looks like I will be doing the job. I won’t have the part until next Thursday maybe, so I will change it out that week-end and let you all know if that solved the problem.

I'm afraid to say, but i believe, changing the O-Ring would not solve your Problem.

Since you have the Oil leaking after you went riding, i'd suspect the Oil-Seal to be the Culprit. And this Part cannot be at 7.78 USD ...

If the O-Ring would be the Problem, the Diff would leak any Time, ridden or not.

I'm afraid to say, but i believe, changing the O-Ring would not solve your Problem.

Since you have the Oil leaking after you went riding, i'd suspect the Oil-Seal to be the Culprit. And this Part cannot be at 7.78 USD ...

If the O-Ring would be the Problem, the Diff would leak any Time, ridden or not.

Squeeze what part are you talking about?

The o-ring (oil seal) that I'm yalking about is 93211-54698-00 in the parts break down. This seal is between the bearing housing and the final drive case and seals the final drive oil from leaking out as mentioned in this artical: http://www.venturers.org/Tech_Library/index.php?action=article&cat_id=002006&id=230 the artical is about rear end noise but if you scroll down in the artical they talk about the seal.

I'm not a mechanic by trade but I'm familiar with mechanical things and if there is some thing I'm not seeing your help would be appreciated, thanks.

Thanks for your help.

Just jumping in here, i have the 2007 Star Venture, and I brought it in for the same problem. I found oil on the kick stand, after riding. I brought it in to have it replaced. I was told, they leak all the time, its something with this type of bike. I've only had the bike 6 months

Brake Pad

That is as BOGUUUUS as it gets, Royal line of motorcyles , be it a classic type 1 Royal Star, Venture or Tour Deluxe do not leak any thing. I had a 98 Royal Star with 96,000 miles on it when I sold it and it never leaked a drop of anything. My 07 Venture has not leaked a drop of anything since I picked it up in January. If you have a leak and the dealer sys it is normal, it is time to find a new dealer.

Squeeze what part are you talking about?

The o-ring (oil seal) that I'm yalking about is 93211-54698-00 in the parts break down. This seal is between the bearing housing and the final drive case and seals the final drive oil from leaking out as mentioned in this artical: http://www.venturers.org/Tech_Library/index.php?action=article&cat_id=002006&id=230 the artical is about rear end noise but if you scroll down in the artical they talk about the seal.

I'm not a mechanic by trade but I'm familiar with mechanical things and if there is some thing I'm not seeing your help would be appreciated, thanks.

Thanks for your help.

Sorry, i'm not a Member on the Org you setted the Link to.

This is the O-Ring #93211-54698-00 i was talking about. I'm not sure that this would solve you Problem. Because this O-Ring would leak at any Time, recently ridden or not. Only Difference is, while riding the final Drive gets warm and the Oil inside also warm, therefore also thinner.

Imho, if you can see Oil only after a Ride, it would be most likly the Part No. 22 in the Yammi IPC which is # 93102-70167-00 OIL SEAL.

But when other Sources say different, i'm not sticking to my Story. If this is a known Problem on the 2nd Gens there are some People who would know it better.

• 1 month later...
Just jumping in here, i have the 2007 Star Venture, and I brought it in for the same problem. I found oil on the kick stand, after riding. I brought it in to have it replaced. I was told, they leak all the time, its something with this type of bike. I've only had the bike 6 months

I suspect that the oil on the kick stand is from the breather hose that comes from the airbox. Relocate the hose to eliminate this issue.

Keith.