IGNORED

Hand Held CB Microphone

I am fairly new to the club and just got back into touring bikes, so bear with me. I'm driving the 07 black & blue, love it, but want to use a hand held mic and the external speakers for CB communication.

Does anyone know how to wire the mic into the 2gen 5pin intercom? I realize I am opening myself up to the safety comments. But I have seen that some have either bought one or made them up.

I've read all the threads and looked at the diagrams posted, but just can't figure it out.

How about a simple diagram, or web site to buy one from.

:bang head:

Don, do you know if you still have to push the mic key on the bike with this one? I had a old Midland mic that I tried one day. It worked but you have to push the mic button and the button on the bike for it to work. I recall reading somewhere that someone had wired something on their bike so that was no longer necessary but maybe I was dreaming.

Spotsy

Don, do you know if you still have to push the mic key on the bike with this one? I had a old Midland mic that I tried one day. It worked but you have to push the mic button and the button on the bike for it to work. I recall reading somewhere that someone had wired something on their bike so that was no longer necessary but maybe I was dreaming.

Spotsy

Seems to me you could just hard wire the switch on the mic to always closed and just use the PTT switch on the bike in this case. Or, just a good ol' rubber band to hold the mic switch down.

I am fairly new to the club and just got back into touring bikes, so bear with me. I'm driving the 07 black & blue, love it, but want to use a hand held mic and the external speakers for CB communication.

Does anyone know how to wire the mic into the 2gen 5pin intercom? I realize I am opening myself up to the safety comments. But I have seen that some have either bought one or made them up.

I've read all the threads and looked at the diagrams posted, but just can't figure it out.

How about a simple diagram, or web site to buy one from.

:bang head:

I didn't think the mic was hot through to the CB from the 5 pin intercom connector if you had the radio/CB set to go through the speakers? My wife and I usually ride with the radio to the speakers and of course the intercom still works. I thought I tried using the CB that way and the mic didn't work, but I have only actually used the CB once so I'm not sure.

Spotsy

I use a handheld like the one Don referenced. You DO NOT have to use the mic PTT button, but you DO have to use the Handlebar PTT button. I have it hanging on my cup holder and then just lean down slightly to talk. However, I will say I am looking to get a boom mic to attatch to my helmet as leaning over gets dicey in certain situations...like in the twisties, in heavy traffic etc. The Interstate is about the only time its not too bad.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for jacking the thread but my problem is kinda related...

My 99 R*V suddenly the CB does not transmit from rider position, no tx when ptt button engaged.

Cleaned and lubed ptt switch on left switch pod also did all radio related connectors including inside the fairing. When switch is pushed the am/fm audio does mute but no tx indicator on CB display. Tx does light when passenger ptt button is pushed. I'm at a loss as to what to check next :bang head: Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Sorry for jacking the thread but my problem is kinda related...

My 99 R*V suddenly the CB does not transmit from rider position, no tx when ptt button engaged.

Cleaned and lubed ptt switch on left switch pod also did all radio related connectors including inside the fairing. When switch is pushed the am/fm audio does mute but no tx indicator on CB display. Tx does light when passenger ptt button is pushed. I'm at a loss as to what to check next :bang head: Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

It's probably bad connections inside the fairing. You will have to spit the fairing to correct it. Just unplug the connectors and then plug them back in. Do it a few times to make sure that any corrosion is wiped off. Many of us use a bit of dielectric grease on them. Look at the third picture down in this thread to see the connectors that I'm talking about.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=992

Guest KitCarson

On a motorcycle I cannot even fathom trying to use a hand held mike to talk to anyone say such as in a group ride. If the bike is parked beside the road.......okay. All it takes in one moments of inattention on a bike to be off the road and upside down!!! I do not even have a helmet mike yet........but can see that is okay.....as one does not have to take your eyes off the road. A video camera mounted on the front of the bike would be cool also......as long as it has an instinct button......do not have to take your eyes off the road.........I am serious folks......all it takes is a spit second. Respectfully Kit

but kit remember M/C cops used a hand held mike for many years and it is just as bad as using a drink holder , i have use a hand held many times in the old days , BUUUT as soon as you try a head set you never use a hand held again , the old ways are ok but i am spoiled i like the new toys !

Guest KitCarson
but kit remember M/C cops used a hand held mike for many years and it is just as bad as using a drink holder , i have use a hand held many times in the old days , BUUUT as soon as you try a head set you never use a hand held again , the old ways are ok but i am spoiled i like the new toys !
WEll I did not know they used hand held mikes.......I have been stopped by a couple troopers on bikes before. They just came up beside me and motioned for me to pull over. They did call in my license number and all that.......after they stopped. A cup holder.....hum........I do not think that is a good idea either. Maybe I am too much of a safety nut!! I just like to watch the road........have both hands on the handlebars, most of the time.......even at work I get 25 phone calls before lunch.....I usually will answer them, in the work truck......but on a bike.........just seems to be asking for it to me.

Take Care ......Kit