IGNORED

This Is The Dream

Aussie Annie

For all you wonderful people who are trying to get us to the U.S.A. for MD 2011....I would like to share with you the dream I have had for years', and how we planned to achieve it.

The Dream: To ship the bike over, purchase a trailer for gear, and do a riding tour of the U.S. for three months.

Changed to: When the insurance claim comes through we would ship the trike, which is kitted out for my bad leg (and do the tour) Purchase a trailer to carry our gear, and my wheelchair....then donate it to VentureRiders.org. when we left.

VR.org: Our VR family are now trying to get us to MD for 2011. So we are hoping we might combine the two efforts!:sign yeah that:

*** My solicitor has told us she will be presenting everything for claim around September? So, hopefully by the time we would be due to leave for the states the claim would have been settled (6/7 months) and we could contribute and re-pay everyone's generosity.

We then talked about hiring a trike over there, instead of a vehicle.

As long as the engine doesn't stick out at the side too much!! no room for leg and I could fit highway pegs to it we thought that it would be more fun.

So Bryan 52577....we like your thinking

Mini Muffin....... GOD BLESS you for caring so much

VR.org........ Luv Ya

Nope, nope, nope and Nope!!!!!!!:crying::crying:

Have been looking at trike rental options most of the day...and they aren't suitable for me and my gammy leg:yikes: And way too expensive!

So the only option is to ship my quike over:doh:

GetRouted.com.au would ship my bike from Sydney for $AU 4750 including shipping and marine insurance, all customs clearances, and loading and unloading both ends. They can also organise rider insurance for us.

Would ship at end of May 2011 for arrival in Portland, Oregon 12th July 2011.

THE PLAN: Quickstep would ride quike over to Sydney and I would fly over with our luggage. Leave quike at shipping depot. Fly to MD from Sydney.

Then fly, or take train to Oregon for bike pick up on 12th July 2011............continue the trip and be back to ship bike by 19th September 2011.

Sounds like a right bleedin' shermozzle, don't it?

I'm so sorry but my disabilities make it hard for me to ride a lot of bikes/trikes.

She comes up with some doozies don't she? Makes you wonder if they still speak something like a 19th century English over there ...

Here are two loaded questions and I sure wouldn't want to put anyone on the spot, but, having said that; There are multiple folks on here who have multiple bikes and there are a number who have the Voyager kit, is it possible to find two (or one) folks who would be willing to rent these things for three months to these Ausies. Obviously, the "rent" would have to be under the table, to bypass insurance requirements. Personally, if I had a 2nd gen and another bike (or two), I wouldn't care and they'd be more then welcome to borrow it and bolt whatever they want on it.

Alternatively, I found this link http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46396 indicating they may be able to buy a kit, if someone would be willing to rent their second gen for several months and have a kit bolted on to it, it may be a money saver. And someone with way more time on their hands then me may even consider contacting Voyager and see if they would be willing to donate a kit in exchange for ......

I'm just saying: $4800 to ship their bike over is pretty steep and the way Annie is thinking they'd be without a bike when they'd get back. And hell, while we're talking we should be able to get the whole setup to Portland by the time they get here with some kind of relay.

Just something to think about.:innocent::cool17:

Annie,

I have been to Australia and just want to remind you. We drive on the "RIGHT" side of the road here in the U.S. of A. :rotfl: :rotfl::rotfl:

I remember the first time I started to cross the "Queen's Highway" to turn left, got to to middle and Oops. :whistling: And on the 4 lanes it is just so dang weird taking a ramp on the "Left" side of the road!!! :stickpoke:

Hope you have fun here and get to see a lot of our great country!!!! :thumbsup2: sign%20woo%20hoo.gif

And I hope I am able to get to the Bosses MD to meet the two of you! :beer:

Bryan

I knew renting a bike over here would cause a problem. Not many set up for Annie to ride that you can rent. Now you guys would be in OH for MD end of May beginning of June (that's the typical time anyway). So you'd leave from Sydney if you can take the bike, if you can't wouldn't Perth be closer to you? Sorry I was checking the maps of where you lived to where the closest big city with airport was. Needed it for reference.

Well you let us know where it is you would like to leave from and where you think you'd like to come in at.

Oh by the way I'm not doing anything special. I just get to collect the money. :)

Margaret

If we had some kind of idea as to what their sightseeing itenerary would be we can have things set up to have some personal tour guides in place to show them around. A few months in this country isn't a long time especially if they get lost a few times. Most folks from other countries have no idea just how BIG the U.S. and Canada is. I'm sure there are lots of things they would like to see while they have the chance. Just thinking out loud.

Guest tx2sturgis

I know its not gonna be well received but what about renting a car?...( oh i can hear it now!)

They can rent a car to drive to the event...then maybe rent a trike somewhere for a few days...somewhere in the country..THEN use the car to see and do the other things they might want to do while here.

Renting a little economy car is not terribly expensive, it would allow them some freedom, be able to haul all their luggage, be reliable, and is more or less weather-proof.

Spending nearly 10 grand in Kangaroo Bucks ( about 8 thousand in yankee dollars) round trip for shipping the trike seems....well ok..i'm gonna say it....seems ridiculous. For the same money or maybe a tad more you can BUY a small used economical car here, drive it around for a month, rent a trike for a few days or a week, then sell the car and pocket the difference...probably coming out way ahead...or at least even.

I suggest this only because it seem like the focus should be on getting the two lovely people over here to have a good time..and meet everyone....not shipping a trike around the world. I'm sure its a nice trike....BUT!

Or so it seems to me. :2cents:

I knew renting a bike over here would cause a problem. Not many set up for Annie to ride that you can rent. Now you guys would be in OH for MD end of May beginning of June (that's the typical time anyway). So you'd leave from Sydney if you can take the bike, if you can't wouldn't Perth be closer to you? Sorry I was checking the maps of where you lived to where the closest big city with airport was. Needed it for reference.

Well you let us know where it is you would like to leave from and where you think you'd like to come in at.

Oh by the way I'm not doing anything special. I just get to collect the money. :)

Margaret

Sent you a PM Margaret.:smile5:

I know its not gonna be well received but what about renting a car?...( oh i can hear it now!)

They can rent a car to drive to the event...then maybe rent a trike somewhere for a few days...somewhere in the country..THEN use the car to see and do the other things they might want to do while here.

Renting a little economy car is not terribly expensive, it would allow them some freedom, be able to haul all their luggage, be reliable, and is more or less weather-proof.

Spending nearly 10 grand in Kangaroo Bucks ( about 8 thousand in yankee dollars) round trip for shipping the trike seems....well ok..i'm gonna say it....seems ridiculous. For the same money or maybe a tad more you can BUY a small used economical car here, drive it around for a month, rent a trike for a few days or a week, then sell the car and pocket the difference...probably coming out way ahead...or at least even.

I suggest this only because it seem like the focus should be on getting the two lovely people over here to have a good time..and meet everyone....not shipping a trike around the world. I'm sure its a nice trike....BUT!

Or so it seems to me. :2cents:

Brian-- I can't ride in a small economic car :crying: I can get in the car, but can't get out :yikes: because of stiff leg! Vehicle is too low for me to push up-and stand up. Have made shoulders' worse trying to do that. Thankfully my car is an all wheel drive Ford Escape -- which has higher seat.:happy34: So something similar to this is all I can travel in. (sorry)

Focus is on getting us there............ but I would LOVE to fulfill my U.S. dream trip AND repay Alan a little for the past three years of crap we've been through.

But if we can't find the funds, a trip for MD is still amazing!!

I promise as soon as we know when they'll be here and when they need to be at the Boss's house we can set up and itinerary for them. By then they should have an idea on what they'd like to see. While we're at it why not a 15 passenger van or a bus, then we could all go with them. :rotf::rotf::rotf:Just teasing. How ever they get around they'll have a great time. Plus they'll get to meet all of us.

Hey Annie we don't have any twangs around here, you're gettin us all confused with the Texas bunch. :crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:

Margaret

Ya know, for the amount of $$ it would take to ship her bike over, she might be ahead (1) buying a USED Gen 2 here in the states (2) putting a voyoger kit on it and (3) selling it when her tour's done. Shopping here on OUR website, it looks like you could purchase something pretty decent for 9K or so, add another 3 or so for a kit and you're at twelve k, but still only 4k MORE than the shipping cost alone. If she could sell the bike (and kit) for anywhere close to what she paid for the bike alone, she should be WAY ahead....

Just sayin...:confused24:

hello Aussie,

In the next week or so the misses and I are planning to contribute to the fund to get you here. Personally I would love to see you be able to bring your bike, as I know im more comfy on my bike than any other. A few have kicked the idea of buy/renting a bike and then kit it out and then resaleing it after you leave. Not a bad idea but they are throwing out prices without the extras that make the bike usable for you. Hand /forward controls would have to be added also. With all this it would then be a specialty bike and not easily sold. bring your ownbike is in my opinion the best choice.

Either way I just want you to get here so we can finally meet. If it takes a few more dollars then so be it.

Looking forward to the day we finally meet you 2.

David

Ya know, for the amount of $$ it would take to ship her bike over, she might be ahead (1) buying a USED Gen 2 here in the states (2) putting a voyoger kit on it and (3) selling it when her tour's done. Shopping here on OUR website, it looks like you could purchase something pretty decent for 9K or so, add another 3 or so for a kit and you're at twelve k, but still only 4k MORE than the shipping cost alone. If she could sell the bike (and kit) for anywhere close to what she paid for the bike alone, she should be WAY ahead....

Just sayin...:confused24:

if i read her original post corectly it was only 4750 ausrailian dollars round trip to ship. Way less than a used bike and kit plus hand controls. Please correct me if Im wrong and forgive my statements if I am.

david

if i read her original post corectly it was only 4750 ausrailian dollars round trip to ship. Way less than a used bike and kit plus hand controls. Please correct me if Im wrong and forgive my statements if I am.

david

:sign yeah that:Painterman. $AU4750 including container hire, sea freight, marine insurance, shipping insurance, USA & Aussie customs, loading & unloading (both ends)

Best security going. They don't advertise their depots, or loading dates and you don't get the address until all monies paid and bike ready to ship. Been doing it for years'.

Correct again about bike kitted out for me :happy34: No back brake pedal, so foot fits comfy. Thumb brake on handle-bars. Holders for elbow crutches. Seat changed. :happy34::happy34: