IGNORED

New E3 Tires, New Problem

Guest tx2sturgis

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_9EMyKcng_yA/TDiaq32wt0I/AAAAAAAADuU/Z3RI035dqLk/s640/IMG00143.jpg

In this pic, I think I see some sort of bulge or dent in the exterior of the hub. Could this be scraping on the dust seal?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I STILL say that it's the small bushing on the right side of the hub that is probably in backwards. I put mine in wrong once and got that exact same result. The turned down side of the bushing must go in...against the bearing. Otherwise it will let the wheel run out just enough to rub.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_9EMyKcng_yA/TDiaq32wt0I/AAAAAAAADuU/Z3RI035dqLk/s640/IMG00143.jpg

In this pic, I think I see some sort of bulge or dent in the exterior of the hub. Could this be scraping on the dust seal?

The snap ring should be completely seated and not bulging. You may not nave the hub completely seated and by the way what did you do with the round rubber band that goes on the opposite side of the hub from the seal that you see in the pic. You should have seen this when you pulled the hub.

I STILL say that it's the small bushing on the right side of the hub that is probably in backwards. I put mine in wrong once and got that exact same result. The turned down side of the bushing must go in...against the bearing. Otherwise it will let the wheel run out just enough to rub.

nope. its absolutely in the right way.

Andrew,

I am on my way to the dealer (or will be once I finish this post) to get a new set of E3's mounted to my RSV. This is my second set of these and I didn't have any trouble with the first.

Assuming my pumpkin isn't trashed (topic for another thread), I will have it back together this afternoon. I am also in the 'large' catagory (270#) so we will see what happens.

Will let you know.

RR

Well,

Back from the dealer getting the tires mounted and balanced. It appears the pumpkin is trashed. The pinion nose bearing appears to be shreaded. I am heading out to the shop to tear into it and see.

Will get more info on the tires once the pumpkin is fixes (or replaced).

RR

The snap ring should be completely seated and not bulging. You may not nave the hub completely seated and by the way what did you do with the round rubber band that goes on the opposite side of the hub from the seal that you see in the pic. You should have seen this when you pulled the hub.

Brian: Dent? not sure where you might be seeing that.

Sleeperhawk: You are suggesting the ring is NOT seated all the way in? I will have to pull the wheel again to check that. The rubber band on the other side of the hub was fitted back around the part of the wheel that meets up with the hub and pins.

Guest tx2sturgis
Brian: Dent? not sure where you might be seeing that.

Sleeperhawk: You are suggesting the ring is NOT seated all the way in? I will have to pull the wheel again to check that. The rubber band on the other side of the hub was fitted back around the part of the wheel that meets up with the hub and pins.

Thats the dust seal I'm referring to...calling it a rubber band...ok...It's on the left side of the drive when the wheel is installed. It would appear to be on the right side of the drive with the wheel off. Its a dust seal, and refered to as a "Cover, Housing" (#29)in the parts breakdown. Its some kind of semi-soft plastic.

I dont know what I'm seeing in your pic...look on the FAR RIGHT side of the pic....not the central hub.....there seems to be some sort of...something...there. I cant tell what I'm seeing.

Wow!!.... Big thread. To throw more fuel on the fire attached is a pic of the E3 on the '99. Pro'bly 300 miles on it. It does look like the start of a shiney spot on the side wall... but it's not making any sound.... FWIW..

PS... I also ran the tire for a couple of hundred miles without any air pressure in the rear shock. Finally picked up a good progressive pump, took it to 45psi, and it handles much better. Big improvement in low speed handling. BTW I tip the scales at.... ahem..... 350#.

Edited by Condor

Well, I just got back from a 300 mile ride to check out an 07 RSV for gibvel, that's why I am so late on any response for you. After looking through this thread I absolutely agree that the tire is rubbing on something. Should not be a weight issue or problem with air in the shock, since that would mean all E3s would rub on any RSV that hit a bump big enough to bottom the shock.

From the position of the rub marks, the only possibility would seem to be bolts up in the top of the fender. Have you ever lost any of those trunk and hand grip mounting bolts? Any aftermarket replacement could be different than the stock bolts. Even if you get the noise to stop by airing up the shock, I would NOT ride it that way any more than to do testing.

The rubbing also fits the idea that tit takes 15 minutes to start - tire warming up and expanding. Make sure you do not have more than 40 lbs in the tire - that is the max on the sidewall. For testing, drop that to 30 lbs and take a ride to see if the problem still starts. Or maybe just ride it the way it is until the noise starts, then stop and check the air - let enough out to put the hot tire back to the cold pressure you started with and see if the noise is gone.

To find what is rubbing, you will need to use a mirror and strong flashlight with the bags off - should be obvious, as the rub point will be clean and shiny. Do hope you find the problem before the tire is damaged!

As for the snap ring - that one picture is out of focus so it is hard to tell, but like someone else already said, the snap ring does not look like it is fully seated in the groove. I'd have to take my bike abart and study it to say for sure what results that might cause, but it can't be good at any rate.

The most odd thing to me is that the tire is rubbed on BOTH sides. Any assembly problem wouls probably have just moved the tire one way or the other, so only rubbed one side. Can't think of anything that could cause both sides to rub on your bike and no other RSV unless you had two bolts replaced.

I'll get up under mine with an inspection mirror tomorrow morning and see if I can spot any likely candidates. My bike is not the best one to compare, since I have leveling links on it, but it is all I got right now. At least I do have a new E3 on it.

Goose

I just went out and examined the brand new E3 on my bike, along with the virtually new one I just took off (only 3,000 miles). BOTH show that shiny strip in the same place, but absolutely no way it is rubbing. I'll update this post with pictures and more explanation in a short while, but I wanted to get this info out as quick as I could.

I never paid attention to the new tire before I mounted it, but right now I'm guessing those shiny strips are there.

Goose

Guest tx2sturgis

Condor, where DID you get that purdy passenger footboard? I like that! :happy34:

One of the uglier bits on the Venture is that dang piece of hardware when its folded up.

I'd like to have one powder coated black and then adorned with a Royal Star chrome emblem of some sort. Maybe the source of yours is a place to begin a search.

( apologies in advance for the hijack)

Guest tx2sturgis
I just went out and examined the brand new E3 on my bike, along with the virtually new one I just took off (only 3,000 miles). BOTH show that shiny strip in the same place, but absolutely no way it is rubbing. I'll update this post with pictures and more explanation in a short while, but I wanted to get this info out as quick as I could.

I never paid attention to the new tire before I mounted it, but right now I'm guessing those shiny strips are there.

Goose

OK...what is going on here? I went out and looked at mine, and there is NOT a shiny strip, but there is a very, almost unoticeable, slightly darker marking in the same place on mine...I had to get down about 12 inches away before I could see it. it does NOT look fresh ...and ..my rear tire has around 7000 miles on it...

Could these bikes be exhibiting some swingarm flex during turns that let the tire rub something under the fender during turns? Which might be worse if ridden by a larger rider? Or is it possible that during testing at the factory, or shipping, or mounting, that some of these end up with a shiny strip on them? During shipping, the stacked tires would not be as wide, since they are obviously deflated. Possibly resting on one another, or standing side by side in a trailer, the transport movement causes this. They may or may NOT be stacked beside or on top of an identical sized tire.

Hmmm....well either way, mine is not rubbed to the degree its starting to get shiny.

i just went out to the garage and checked my new E3 with less than 300 miles and it also had the shiny rings. The appear to be along the edge of the tread where it intersects with the sidewall.

Sorry I can't suggest anything that hasn't already been mentioned.

Dennis

Goose

You guys are GREAT. THank you for hanging in there with me on this. Goose, I have all stock bolts back there. Earlier today I got up there with a light and there's nothing protruding more then I expect it should. But as we now see, for some insane reason, these E3's seem to have this shiny stripe going around them. I will call Dunlop Monday and dive into that.

MEANWHILE, rain stopped, took it back out, 20, 25, 40 mins. NO NOISE! Can not explain it other then the LAST thing I did was pump in 47# of air. Tomorrow I will bring it back down to 40# and see what happens. Someone else blamed the rear brakes and Im starting to believe it.

Im deciding whether or not to pull the wheel off again to chk that hub ring.

thx

andrew

I just checked the " New " E3 I have sitting on the work bench. Mfg Date is " 1210"

It Does Have, the Shinny part shown on your photo of 9:35 this morning. !!!

On both sides.

I then looked at the E3 mounted on my 89, with 11K on it. It does NOT, have the shinny area, on either side, for what thats worth. This tire mfg date is about 2 years ago.

----------------

Have you checked the brake " PADS" to see it they are tight against the Pistons ??

If they are LOOSE, you might try useing some Disk Brake Adhissive. Its possible the Pads are vibrateing. However I would assume in that case it would be a higher pitched noise.

I have found that I get Crazy Noises from my front Calipers, if I Forget to use the adhessive when changing the Pads !!

I suggest you install a NEW set of pads, and use the adhissive, you can get it at any auto parts store . At 10K yours are probably 1/2 worn out in any case.

Money well spent.

----------------------

Also, Greaseing the Drive Shaft at 10K, is a good thing to do!!! Yamaha is very stingy with Greese !!

Condor, where DID you get that purdy passenger footboard? I like that! :happy34:

One of the uglier bits on the Venture is that dang piece of hardware when its folded up.

I'd like to have one powder coated black and then adorned with a Royal Star chrome emblem of some sort. Maybe the source of yours is a place to begin a search.

( apologies in advance for the hijack)

They came with the bike when I bought it..... Good thing too!!! :mo money:

Passenger Floorboards

I will back up Condor on the shiny strips on the E3. I just had a set installed on my rims and haven't even mounted the tires back onto the bike. The shiny ring on both sides is there. Can't be caused by rubbing.

RR

Why was the "pumpkin" trashed by the way?

This thread took a life of it's own in more than one funny way..

(A) the shiny strip that everyone is now noticing on their tires.. betcha if you look closely at your car windshields you'll all notice the damage the cosmic rays are doing to your windshields that you never noticed before.. (power of observation once pointed out?) Though the strip looks like a a nice polishing effect, the mold lines are still intact above and below and on the shiny part, which shows that there is no wear on that spot.

(B) The NOISE you first indicated, though this might sound strange, could it be the tread on the road you're hearing? If this is your first ever E3 on the bike, you might not be aware that if the bike is leaning a tad in a straight line (say with a nice cross wind or uneven road surface), the rear tire treads make a good hum sound. I've had it so loud as to interfere with my radio listening ;) and had it pulsate depending on the road surface.

Just my observations.. I'm on my third set of E3s in 2 years.. (47,500 miles in all), they all had that strip and noise issue.. no biggie..

Guest tx2sturgis
They came with the bike when I bought it..... Good thing too!!! :mo money:

Passenger Floorboards

Oh...ok, I've seen the Yamaha boards, but in the pic it looked like they were all shiny mirrored and no Yamaha logo. So what I've thought about, was having the stock boards powdercoated black...then find a nice shiny emblem to stick on it.

YamahaSportsPlaza has yours listed for about $175...not bad I guess...I've paid more for less!

OK, seems like we have several other members who have also verified these tires show that fake "rub" mark when new, but I'll give you my evidence anyway.

First, I checked two OLD worn out E3s, one off my bike and one from a different RSV (old tires still sitting in the back of my truck waiting for recycle). Neither of these old tires that each had over 15,000 miles showed any shiny strip.

But when I looked at the almost new E3 I had to take off (3,000 miles, five days) after I got back from Don's, the shiny strip is obvious. But here is a picture that shows one of the manufacturing stamps right in the middle of that strip - if it had been rubbing at all, that stamp would have been at least marred. In the second picture, you can see where the tire plug is right next to the edge of the tread and the sidewall is bulged - if there was any rubbing, it would be REALLY obvious on this bulge, since I rode close to 300 miles on it. In the final picture, you can see the brand new E3 currently on my bike with only about 400 miles on it - the "rub" strip is clearly visible. But I think all these pictures, along with the other posts above, conclusively prove that these are just fake rub strips, and these tires are not rubbing at all!

Goose

Oh...ok, I've seen the Yamaha boards, but in the pic it looked like they were all shiny mirrored and no Yamaha logo. So what I've thought about, was having the stock boards powdercoated black...then find a nice shiny emblem to stick on it.

YamahaSportsPlaza has yours listed for about $175...not bad I guess...I've paid more for less!

It's there. You just have to get past the glare... :big-grin-emoticon:

This thread took a life of it's own in more than one funny way..

(A) the shiny strip that everyone is now noticing on their tires.. betcha if you look closely at your car windshields you'll all notice the damage the cosmic rays are doing to your windshields that you never noticed before.. (power of observation once pointed out?) Though the strip looks like a a nice polishing effect, the mold lines are still intact above and below and on the shiny part, which shows that there is no wear on that spot.

(B) The NOISE you first indicated, though this might sound strange, could it be the tread on the road you're hearing? If this is your first ever E3 on the bike, you might not be aware that if the bike is leaning a tad in a straight line (say with a nice cross wind or uneven road surface), the rear tire treads make a good hum sound. I've had it so loud as to interfere with my radio listening ;) and had it pulsate depending on the road surface.

Just my observations.. I'm on my third set of E3s in 2 years.. (47,500 miles in all), they all had that strip and noise issue.. no biggie..

Wow, never had any noise with my E3s, even when they were wore down and ready for the next set.

Guest tx2sturgis
It's there. You just have to get past the glare... :big-grin-emoticon:

Yep...I put on my shades...and I see it now...thanks...

:cool17: