IGNORED

Compare 1st gen to Road King

I previously had a 2005 Road King Classic.I chose it because I wanted a bike that was capable of touring 2 up and handled well in the mountain roads.I wasn't sure I wanted a full dresser and it seemed to be a good fit.I rented one first and liked the way it rode and handled.My other 2 bikes are Honda cr 250 and crf450 that I race with the vintage mx club.Has anyone rode both the RK and the 1st gen to offer a comparison.From what I've read I think the 1986-1993 Venture is the next road bike I want.It seems to a lot of motorcycle for around $3000.Thanks for replys. Ron

I have vast experiance with both. Road king is not a bad bike manuvers at slow speeds great if you know how to ride it. The newer ones have decent power goood brakes with ABS. Nice for cruising. 1st Gen ups the performance greatly in terms of power and manuvering at higher speeds leaning it over. Brake wise I'd give the Roadking the nod over the 1st Gen. RK has the floor boards if you like them. 1st Gen pegs. To be honest they are completely different bikes. Like they comparing apples and oranges as one said. RK you get beat up by the wind pretty good even with windshield. 1st Gen not really.

Edited by CrazyHorse

Well, lemme see. First gen's rarely mark their teritory, and parts, if properly installed, stay on. They have been known to last for almost 200,000 miles. Top speed of a Harley = 96 mph. Top speed of a 1st gen, 93 mph... in 3rd gear!!

I think we are done here!

Well, lemme see. First gen's rarely mark their teritory, and parts, if properly installed, stay on. They have been known to last for almost 200,000 miles. Top speed of a Harley = 96 mph. Top speed of a 1st gen, 93 mph... in 3rd gear!!

I think we are done here!

Funny you should say that a friend of mine who has a RoadKing and I road to the great state of Missouri recently and he had 3 parts fall off during the trip. The front kick shifter fell and is gone then the shifting rod for the kick shifter fell apart couldnt shift at all then(The Harley dealer in Springfiled, Illinois on the way home we were 2 miles away was closed on Monday so we jury rigged it) and one other part I cant recall came off. He was less then happy. Hes crying for his BmwK1200lt he sold to buy a Triumph rocket 3 Touring but he destroyed that on the Dragon trying to manuver it like his BMW K1200lt he forgot he couldnt lean it over like BMW. Now hes stuck with the Harley which I have a feeling will be sold soon.

The newer Harleys have decent power all down low though I prefer being able to rev it up myself but I cant say the Harley is that bad.

I think we are done here![/QUOTe

Not sure where you are getting your info but that is BS. I currently have an ULTRA that will run 105 to 110 depending environmental factors. And that is by my Zumo not the speedo. And it has never "marked" it's spot and has never had anything fall off. And if you care to check things out, there are many, many posts here about VR leaking oil too.

I can only guess but I would think there are 10 times the number of Harleys on the road as any model Venture.

Don't misunderstand me; I have one of each and if I had to get rid of one, it'd be the Harley as I'd have a lot more money in my pocket.

I would reccomend finding one to take a ride on. As mentioned above, they are different then most bikes. Take some getting used to.

If you find one with under 50K, ( hopefully 20K ) you can figure on about $1200 to $1500 for all the parts to upgrade all the factory defects.

Most likley you will need.

New Stator,( Aftermarket, upgraded stator ) --- New Barnett Clutch, --- Replace Fuse panel,--- Maby rebuild water pump, --- Replace the cooling system hose's, --- Maby some rear drive work,--- Most likley new set of Carb Diaphrams,--- DEKA, AGM type battery,---- Clean up ALL the Wireing Connectors, ----Clean up all handle bar switches, --- Work on Intake manifold leaks, --- Rebuild the entire Brakeing System, --- New set of Dunlop E3's, --- And whatever body work is required,

And don't forget a NEW Seat, the stock seats were pretty bad.

Rebuild front Forks, !!! and install Progressive Suspension Springs, and Aftermarket Fork Brace

Replace Carb Diaphrams, and maby leaking intake manifold, Replace clamps above and below the carbs.

Rebuild the starter.

Replace the " Starter Engage Clutch "

Replace the Battery Cables ( larger size wire )

Buy a Carb Sync Tool, if you don't have one.

Replace all the fuel hoses, and filter, and obtain a spare Fuel Pump.

Drain and clean out the fuel tank.

Most likley the Exhaust cross over Canister, will need work, or replacement.

If you need a project, !! It will be a great bike when your finished, BUT, if you just want to buy a bike and go rideing, best buy something newer.

If you decide to go the route, do a lot of looking, find one thats " IN SERVICE", If you find one thats been in storage for 5 years or more, I would pass it bye. ( Unless you really want a project to work on )

Mine is an 89, has 80K on it and still "In Service", running like a Swiss Watch---- BUT-- I did all of the above!! And more.

I love the ride, but, I would NOT, buy an " el sicko " 89 and do all the work again.

I can only guess but I would think there are 10 times the number of Harleys on the road as any model Venture.

What is it they say; 90% of all the Harleys Made are still on the road. The other 10% made it home... :stickpoke::stickpoke::stickpoke:

Bad Walter!!! Bad Walter!!! Sorry, couldn't help it... :smile5: