IGNORED

Air Filter Replacement

I highly recommend getting the stock replacement K&N filter. it costs about the same as a stock paper filter, and will be the last air filter you will have to buy for your bike. Clean it once a year...no re-jetting or other adjustments necessary. Check eBay for the best price. A quick search turned up this, there are more...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/K-N-AIR-FILTER-YAMAHA-86-93-XVZ1300-VENTURE-ROYAL_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43979QQihZ002QQitemZ120164453609QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

My 86 had a Uni Filter on it when I got it and it is just fine. I wash it out with a de-greaser and let it air dry. I do that a couple times a year or every 10k miles or so. A new one from their website is only 28 bucks. Click here That should take you to the right page. The only difference that I really see between it and K&N is that the Uniis foam. I usually don't even oil it. :confused24: Maybe I should. I don't know; any comments on that out there? (yea right, like nobody on this site would have a comment :rotfl:)

Hey Chip, how is your cb working; Did you get a new one? And, are you interested in riding to the SC M&E? I'm going and maybe a couple of others.

Thanks for all the help guys. I guess I'll probably just spring for the K&N.

Todd, I haven't spent the money on a CB yet. I may just wait and pick up the J&M with the intercom and port for XM. I have the Zumo 550 so they would work together perfectly. I saw it for about $250. That may be a spring purchase. As for the SC M&E, I wish I could. I really need a break but the job thing has me pretty tied down right now. I something happens and I get some time off I'll let you know though. Thanks for the invite. Ride safe all.

"My 86 had a Uni Filter on it when I got it and it is just fine. I wash it out with a de-greaser and let it air dry. I do that a couple times a year or every 10k miles or so. A new one from their website is only 28 bucks. Click here That should take you to the right page. The only difference that I really see between it and K&N is that the Uniis foam. I usually don't even oil it. :confused24: Maybe I should. I don't know; any comments on that out there? "

Aaaaakkkk! Yes, oil it! Seriously! Both UNI and K&N have media with much larger holes than paper filters. With paper filters, the pores are tiny and particles above a certain size get blocked. Each blocked particle closes a hole, thus they quickly get more restrictive. While K&N and UNI are different, they are similar in theory - they work on "depth loading". The pores aren't small enough to block damaging particles on their own, but with the right type of oil the particles get stuck on the way by. In so doing, they don't completely block off a pore, so their flow capacity does not decrease as fast. Particles can stack on top of each other as they get blocked, thus the term "depth loading". The UNI has some thickness to it which allows the particles more opportunities to get stuck; also consider that dirt bikes and quads all come stock with foam filters. OTOH, K&N oil has some static properties such that when air flows by the oil-soaked cotton fibers, there is actually a static charge generated that attracts the dust particles. Weird, huh? At any rate, use the type of oil recommended for the filter. Foam filter oil is very sticky stuff. K&N oil doesn't look all that special but has the static property. Without the oil you are putting your engine at serious risk of quicker wear.

Jeremy

I prefer the paper type. I've never had an air flow restriction or rich mixture problem.

It seems, to me, that the air filter is not a place to skimp on price.

Yes, that's what I'm saying. Use the K&N oil for the K&N, and foam filter oil for the UNI. There are other brands of foam filter oil and I have no preference. I bought a spray can of it thinking it would go on nice like the K&N oil, but it doesn't really help, it's kind of a pain. One guy told me he pours a little foam filter oil in a gallon zip-lock bag and puts the filter in there, then works it around from the outside of the bag. Afterward he just keeps the oil in the bag for next time. I haven't tried that yet.

Jeremy

I'm assuming you have the spin on converter? I put it on my first gen and now I can put regular auto filters on it. The spin on comes with a Fram PH3950, which is a very popular model and available at Wallmart. I put on the K&N HP-1005. I had made a list but threw it out of all the oil filters from all brands that crossreference the PH3950. You can get it in pretty much any brand out there as I said it's a popular model.

Spin on is great so far. Cheaper and easier oild filter changes and permits you to do it more frequently.

Does any know if there's an auto filter that will fit a 1st Gen? I hate ordering air filters and would love to just pick something up ay Wally World.

:rotf::rotf::rotf: I just realized you were talking about air filters! LOL!

Sorry! But yes I have the K&N filter as well! Worth the :mo money:since it's good forever but buy the cleaning kist that goes with it.