IGNORED

Dodged that Black Cloud on way back from Maint Day!!!

Yammer Dan

Took off from Don's before 4 this morning. Got about a hr away and car started to shimmey a little. Figured I had thrown a weight. Continued and it just got worse til it popped and got so bad I had to pull over. Looked at right front wheel and a Lug Nut was backed off about half way. That would not have been a major problem but it was the ONLY ONE ON THE WHEEL!!! 4 were gone!! and they are only 5!!! Not only that but three studs were gone. Seared off. The two studs that were left were on the same side of the bolt pattern but I jacked it up stole a lug nut from rear wheel and tightened it up and made it home with 2 lug nuts! And several stops to check them.

I don't have a clue as to where or why or when they left. :confused24: But I made it home and got to see some friends!!! It was worth it.

Dan your better stick with the motorcycle your luck with cars are not that good here lately. I'm Glad you made it home OK

I would be wondering too? how all five lug nuts would come loose? breaking off three studs? sounds like you had two loose lug nuts to Begin with and the three studs broke off leaving behind the loose lug nut and two studs.? Glad you caught it in time...........

Broke the last two off when I went to remove them. Only thing I can think is heat. I must have forgotten to tighten them up when I put brakes on it last week. Heat build-up from vibration. I had both of the ones that were left off this morning when I found the problem. Tightened them up but not overtight. Anyway when I went out to remove them they were both seized up and broke them trying to get them off. Can't find a thing wrong except the bolts are broke?? The bearing feels as good as a new one.

I did that once on my '58 Chevy! Did the brakes but forgot to torque down one of the front tires! Same symptoms, but was on the interstate, and managed to limp off the exit ramp where the last one broke just as I got into a parking lot!!

Learned a very valuable lesson that day!! Glad you are OK Dan!!!

Glad this story had a happy ending:doh: Dont think I could handle another Yammer dan crash!!!

That makes a couple of us!!

Brown Sugar is close and I think I've figured it out. Goose makles some sense once in a while if you listen to him.:whistling:

Dan,

I wish I had known you were there. I would have introduced myself. Glad you weren't hurt

Ken

I spoke to you Slick. I said Hey there is the Insurance Man and you just kept running!! Broke my heart!! It gets busy man and we never get to do all we want. My leg keeps me down a lot. Working on the Scoots is hard for me now so I just try to find a corner most of the time. Still have a BLAST!!!:clap2:

Took off from Don's before 4 this morning. Got about a hr away and car started to shimmey a little. Figured I had thrown a weight. Continued and it just got worse til it popped and got so bad I had to pull over. Looked at right front wheel and a Lug Nut was backed off about half way. That would not have been a major problem but it was the ONLY ONE ON THE WHEEL!!! 4 were gone!! and they are only 5!!! Not only that but three studs were gone. Seared off. The two studs that were left were on the same side of the bolt pattern but I jacked it up stole a lug nut from rear wheel and tightened it up and made it home with 2 lug nuts! And several stops to check them.

I don't have a clue as to where or why or when they left. :confused24: But I made it home and got to see some friends!!! It was worth it.

Dan - Amazing story - so glad it has a happy ending. I know the feeling as I had a similar experience a few years back and many years ago, I lost a rear tire on a VW when the axle nut came off on the highway. Both experiences scared the bej----- out of me!

I spoke to you Slick. I said Hey there is the Insurance Man and you just kept running!! Broke my heart!! It gets busy man and we never get to do all we want. My leg keeps me down a lot. Working on the Scoots is hard for me now so I just try to find a corner most of the time. Still have a BLAST!!!:clap2:

Man Dan, I apologize. Besides being ugly, I don't hear very well either. I'll catch up with you at another one.