IGNORED

Factory exhaust - do I reinstall

Bwhite

2000 RSV - The guy I bought the bike from this past winter just stopped by work and dropped off the factory pipes. Said he was cleaning out the shop over the weekend and figured I might want them. Question: the pipes on there now sound OK although get a bit loud on the highway and need to crank up radio. Also cackles and pops when slowing from high speeds. Are oems quiet like a Goldwing or?

I recently returned to the stock pipes from a pair of Harley pipes. They are not whisper quiet like the Goldwings, but they are quiet. I am very much enjoying them.

It's not too much work to change the pipes, and will give you a chance to learn more about it. My $0.02.

Dave

The only gotcha might be if the previous owner changed the carb jetting along with the after market pipes. Some people do that. You might ask the PO if he tweaked the carbs any?

I'm thinking about going back to stock pipes on the 2000 RSV I bought 2 months ago for the same reason. too loud for me. Although it is an attention getter which might be useful at times.

Personally, I think the stock pipes on these bikes sound fantastic! I would be overjoyed in your situation to have the option to go back to them for free.

Your popping on decel is pretty common and can be caused by a number of things, all pretty easy to fix. The most likely cause is a vacuum leak from the caps on the intake vacuum ports (or nicked hose on the other two vacuum ports). Exhaust leak from loose header, bad Y joint, or modified exhaust can cause it too. Finally, anything else that upsets the clean burning of the gas will cause it, including bad plugs, dirty or misadjusted carbs and carb sync.

In my experience, the most likely causes are the vacuum leak and carb sync on newer bikes; on an older multi-owner machine, who knows how much it has been futzed with or abused and neglected. In your shoes, I'd first put the stock exhaust back on, treat a tank with Seafoam, replace the vacuum caps and inspect the two vacuum hoses for damage, ensure your plugs have less than 15,000 miles on them, replace the fuel filter if it hasn't been done recently, and get a good carb sync. Even if just replacing the pipes stops the popping, all the rest of that stuff really should be done anyway. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Going back to the stock pipes is not that hard (as many have already mentioned), but remember that slip-ons are not jsut about sound, they usually offer a performance boost as well. may be able to get new baffles for the pipes you have on now, depending on what kind of pipes you have. just thought id throw that out there...