IGNORED

Headset ??'s

Guest wrench

Okay, so after only 6 months I've finally given in to the wife and bought a new helmet so I can hook up MY headset. Her's works fine, but I can't get mine to x-mit. I'm fairly sure it's going to be something little I'm missing, but I need HELP!:confused24:

Her volume was turned up, but what should the IC volume be set at on the control? I looked back over the book and I can't remember what I had it set on. I was trying to get ready for a ride Sat. morning and was working in the dark Friday nite. Also, if you remember a few months back I made a comment about how cool a Venture would be with twin Hyperchargers,,,. Well,,, I've got a friend that is a 2-wheel speed junky, and also owns a machine shop. He says if I buy 'em, he'll make 'em work!! It may not be this winter's project, but at least I've got somebody to help with fabbing up parts. Guess I'd need to see if it'll affect the warranty too? Thanks for the help Don.

I've found that around 14 is pretty good. At least...that was about as loud as I could use it without problems with wind noise and etc. Now with the Mic-Mute, I can run it up around 16 or so.

I'm really looking forward to the results of your winter project...now THAT sounds cool.

Her volume was turned up, but what should the IC volume be set at on the control? I looked back over the book and I can't remember what I had it set on. I was trying to get ready for a ride Sat. morning and was working in the dark Friday nite. Also, if you remember a few months back I made a comment about how cool a Venture would be with twin Hyperchargers,,,. Well,,, I've got a friend that is a 2-wheel speed junky, and also owns a machine shop. He says if I buy 'em, he'll make 'em work!! It may not be this winter's project, but at least I've got somebody to help with fabbing up parts. Guess I'd need to see if it'll affect the warranty too? Thanks for the help Don.

So what are Hyperchargers?

Now don't give me that dumb look, on this site there is no such thing as a dumb question.

My RSVTD came with full face helmets(which I don't like) and I reinstalled the headset system in my old open face 3/4 helmets. The noise was terrible as I had to turn the xolume up to 14 to hear passenger. I bought noise canceling boom mics from J & M and the volume went down to 6 and was plenty loud. While I'm here, my CB still shows error. The antenna almost fell apart when I tried to check it. I'm thinkig about cutting off the end of the coax, install a connector and installing another antenna. Has anyone had this problem and if so what did u do to fix the error?

That is a very common problem on the '99 models. The antennas are junk. Yamaha re-designed them for the 2000 model year.

It's very easy to change them just as you are thinking. You can actually very easily replace the cable with a new one with the regular cb connector. You can just cut the end off yours and solder a new one on or you can stop by many truck stops and find a short, 12", cable with the right connectors on it. It just plugs into the cb under the trunk. The cable will have the Motorola type connector on one end and the cb connector on the other. I think mine cost me around $7.00 or so.

After than, any aftermarket antenna will work. I went with the Firestik because they have a tuneable tip and they also make a matching FM for the other side.

Don

I have seen it done with the Hyperchargers. Looks cool as heck. I cant tell you who has it but it did look cool. I think that person is a member on the site too.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I'am new at this so bear with me, I have used J&M Headsets on 83,89 Ventures on 96 Wing and 2001 Venture started using Air Rider Headsets on

2002 Wing and 2006 Venture. Ihave used low end J&M to their best, my personal opinion is Air Rider is best No air noise on my set like J&M. Just my opinion

So what are Hyperchargers?

Now don't give me that dumb look, on this site there is no such thing as a dumb question.

Carl,

Probably going to step on a few toes here.

A hypercharger is basically a fancy air ram originally designed to go on Harleys. Much like the Tornado for cars.....

It is intended to increase air flow into the carbs. Requires re-jetting to increase the HP. At best they give a max of 10HP but in many instances they either do nother or actually decrease HP.

My personal thought is that the increase in HP actually comes from the weight reduction in the wallet.

Carl,

Probably going to step on a few toes here.

A hypercharger is basically a fancy air ram originally designed to go on Harleys. Much like the Tornado for cars.....

It is intended to increase air flow into the carbs. Requires re-jetting to increase the HP. At best they give a max of 10HP but in many instances they either do nother or actually decrease HP.

My personal thought is that the increase in HP actually comes from the weight reduction in the wallet.

Finally someone with the answer. I was starting to think I was going to have to go to an HD site for more info. Thanks Black Owl, you're the best.

I've been using the Airriders for several years now. In my opinon, they are just ok. No better or worse than the J&M units. They are also pretty expensive. I've said it before but will repeat it again...the next time I buy headsets, I will just go with the inexpensive J&M models because I don't think any of the high dollar ones, including the Airriders, are good enough to justify the extra cost.

I had a hypercharger on my 02 VStar. There is a picture of it in my garage photo gallery. Kuryakyn makes them for a variety of bikes. Not the Venture.

I put it on with straight pipes and rejeted. All combined I think the bike had a bit more power but not significant. I doubt if the hypercharger on the VStar would have added much power on its own even with rejetting. But it sure looked cool. Especially with butterflies that matched the candy apple red of the bike.

Cheers, Gary B