IGNORED

How to pack a bike!

Blusees

OK ladies! I am very excited about riding over to Potato Creek this year, but at the same time, I've never done an overnight trip ON MY BIKE! I'm low maintenance-- no makeup or hairdryer needed, but are there any things besides the obvious (clothing, toothbrush, what not) that you find essential to bring on a bike trip?

I have two saddle bags and bungee cords...... Lord, help me.

Thanks!

Courtney

OK ladies! I am very excited about riding over to Potato Creek this year, but at the same time, I've never done an overnight trip ON MY BIKE! I'm low maintenance-- no makeup or hairdryer needed, but are there any things besides the obvious (clothing, toothbrush, what not) that you find essential to bring on a bike trip?

Thanks!

Courtney

Courtney

You never said if you was staying in a hotel or camping.

Kuryakyn.com--metric bike---luggage has some packs that fit over the backrest and you could reverse them and have them sit on the passenger seat.

Also check with your Yam. stealer, they will have idea's for more luggage space also.Most camping places have waterproof bags you can pack in and bungee to the bike.They are heavy duty.(Cabela's,Gander Mountain,etc.) Cabela's are called Dry sacks or dry bags. These would be the least expensive way to go.

Roll your cloths up,takes up less space.

As far as what to pack, most girls I have know over pack, thats why I pull a trailer. :Laugh:

I'm sure the women will chim in soon as to what needs to be packed.

I travel every week for work and use 1 carry-on roller case. I have found that using 'space-bags' or some generic version will save space and protect your clothes. Take an empty on as well and pack the dirty clothes after you've worn them and it keeps them away from the clean clothes.

just my :2cents:

Well, this is not your requested "ladies point of view", but it may shed some light on what you are looking for.

1. Create a packing list of everything you want to take and begin thinking of where it will be placed on the bike.
  2. Depending on how much you take and available ROOM you have, clothes should be tightly rolled up to assume the smallest space.
  3. Use your packing list (#1 above) to place items in the various storage areas. Include your jacket as a storage area (use the pockets if need be).
  4. Evenly distribute the load on the left and right sides of your bike.

5. You can even weigh the bags on a bathroom scale to accomplish # 4 above which makes it easier to handle the bike.

6. Don't put too much weight on the back of the bike. You don't want your front wheel coming off the ground...(see your owners manual if in question)

7. After all necessities are loaded, place your rain gear somewhere on top even if they placed in a bag and secured by bungee cords. You don't want to have to unpack everything when it starts to rain.
  8. Double check your list to ensure everything is on-board.
  9. Place your packing list in your jacket or other readily available spot.

Tips:

1. Use removable bags in your saddlebags to be able to easily move the contents from your bike to a motel or campsite.
  2. Always place items you don't want to get wet in plastic zip-type bags.
  3. Try to keep items you need on the road in a place where they can be easily accessed.

Remember: Packing a motorcycle for a trip, especially a long one where you need more stuff, is not an easy task. It takes planning and preparation. It also requires you to consider taking items that are not really needed. In a car. If you think you might need it, you go ahead and throw it in the trunk and don't think twice about it. If you did that with a motorcycle, you'd need a trailer to carry everything.

One more thing.

I suggest you also carry a couple garbage bags for your dirty clothes. This way you don't have to pack the used/ smelly dirty clothes with the clean fresh unused clothes.

Plus, you also have the second garbage bag in case you need to protect anything from the rain...

Good luck on your trip

Eck

Now I don't want to hear any grief from anyone about this (Just remember that thread that the men started about what kind of underwear they like while riding)....but the best advice I got is to pack your old underwear and socks. Every day after they've been used....I throw them away.

I too, am low maintence...no makeup, etc. But I can't stand having dirty socks and underwear in my bag.

Last year Gary and I rode 5,000 miles up to Canada and back. I had my dad go through all his old socks and I had some underwear that had seen it's better day. Each day the load got a little lighter.

Now matter how long our trip is...I wear 1 pair of jeans and pack one.2 or 3 T shirts. One warmer pullover. PJ's. The only shoes I bring are the boots I ride with and a cheap pair of floppie thongs, because if it's hot it feels good to let your feet breathe at night when your done riding.

The other thing...if you wear contacts, make sure and bring an extra set. Never fails...I always lose one while we are on vaca.

Hope you have a great time!

Now I don't want to hear any grief from anyone about this (Just remember that thread that the men started about what kind of underwear they like while riding)....but the best advice I got is to pack your old underwear and socks. Every day after they've been used....I throw them away.

I read this advice from a guy, who bought cheap underwear for the purpose when traveling overseas. I like your advice even better! :thumbsup:

Dave

Guest tx2sturgis

Thanks!

Courtney

Never done an overnight trip? :think:

Ok...well is this a one night overnight trip? Or are you staying at a motel for several nights? or camping for 10 days?

Might help the ladies narrow down the answers.

I've found that a light travel bag or backpack strapped to the rear seat of a bike using bungee cords does the trick.

One tip that is invaluable when packing is to get some gallon sized (bigger the better) zip lock bags, pack an item or two in them, sit on the bag to get all of the air out, then zip it closed while you are sitting on it. Works just like those fancy vacuum pack jobs and saves a ton of space.

Kevin:lightbulb:

Last August we rode to Sturgis, South Dakota. We do not have a trailer.

I think we did overload our bike a bit, but we learn something each time we do this.

I put the heaviest items lowest to the ground. For instance, our air mattress and our tent are the heaviest. I fold them up and put them in the trunk. The lightest items are our sleeping bags. So they go on our luggage rack with our jackets. I put them in a waterproof bag, so that they stay dry.

Our clothes I put in a separate small bag and bungee cord it with the sleeping bags.

We carry two small coolers in our saddle bag, with a small air compressor, a one burner coleman stove, and our rain gear, first aid kit, tool kit, and flashlights. I usually carry my camera on me. There are laundramats at most campgrounds, so we take advantage of that.

We also bring two bottles of water.

Like I said you learn a lesson every time you travel on your bike, but you can do it.

Yama Mama

Edited by Yama Mama

Great suggestions, all! I am going to be camping, my sister loaned me the tent/air mattress that I'll need. I don't have a trunk or anything, so I think I will pack my clothes in one saddle bag, tools/first aid/water whatever in the other one, and bungee the tent, air mattress, tarp, and camp chair (PINK WITH BIG FLOWERS!), to the passengers seat. I'm not packing a cooler or anything, I think that will be too much. I'm sure they'll have vending machines at the campground.

Another look at coolers......... the soft collapsible type that is. Even if you do not use them right off, they are lightweight, waterproof, flexible , and multipurpose. You can store things like clothing, electronics or anything else you do not want to get wet. They maintain a shape and can be secured to the scoot very easily. Even after you get to your destination , you can now use the cooler for beverages and groceries.

Keep cell phone on your person as well as ID in case of accident and if your thrown from the scoot and not visible from traffic , you can call for aid . Place a vinyl luggage tag on top of your gear for ICE (In Case of Emergency) instructions.

If all else fails, ship extra supplies to your destination via USPS or UPS andcan be shipped back home. Chances are that the UPS truck will get there before Eck does. :stickpoke:. Remember there is always Wally-World nearby for anything that you cannot carry or have forgotten.

As many have said already, pack tight and evenly. Heavy on bottom , light on top. Never enough bungees and have a pocket somewhere for quick picks and stows. Always have several bottles of water and munchies just in case you break down or get caught in a traffic jamb. Oh do not forget the cellphone charger !

BEER30

• 2 weeks later...
Guest scarylarry

I know bikes had a hard time catching me in the northern hills of Ga. when I drove for UPS man do I miss them days.