IGNORED

OK...got the trailer...now some more ???

Aimhigh

What is the best place to get the hitch and wiring harness?

Is there a "best" hitch?

Saw the postings on the wiring...reluctant to take it on...should I be?

I have the venturedad and am happy with it, simple install. I didn't think the wiring was any big deal.

Jim, I'll build you a hitch if you can wait until after Maintenance Day at Freebird's.

http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv87/dawarren77377/Trailer%20Hitch/DSCF5225.jpg?t=1275661558

http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv87/dawarren77377/Trailer%20Hitch/DSCF4933.jpg?t=1275661589

The Hopkins "Hoppy" #46155 lighting adapter is available at most auto parts stores and is a breeze to install. We could meetup and do the install pretty quick.

Ponch

Not to thread jack, but....

I'm getting my new (to me) little trailer ready to go and thinking about the wiring, I don't want to have any problems with overloading the existing circuits.

From what I've read so far I would need to adapt from 5 wire to 4 wire and preferably use a relay and wire to the battery to be safe?

What if I convert to LED lights? With a lot less wattage would it be OK not to use a relay?

I haven't really looked at the bike yet. I bought it used and it came with the hitch installed, so it may already be wired, but no idea how it is wired.

Harbor Freight has the LED light kit on sale in the current catalog for $29.95 and there's a 20% coupon on there, so I'm thinking about installing LED anyway.

Thanks,

James

Jim, I'll build you a hitch if you can wait until after Maintenance Day at Freebird's.

http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv87/dawarren77377/Trailer%20Hitch/DSCF5225.jpg?t=1275661558

http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv87/dawarren77377/Trailer%20Hitch/DSCF4933.jpg?t=1275661589

The Hopkins "Hoppy" #46155 lighting adapter is available at most auto parts stores and is a breeze to install. We could meetup and do the install pretty quick.

Ponch

Ponch made mine, and I am very happy with it. I love the Texas cutout and the star.

Dave

Not to thread jack, but....

I'm getting my new (to me) little trailer ready to go and thinking about the wiring, I don't want to have any problems with overloading the existing circuits.

From what I've read so far I would need to adapt from 5 wire to 4 wire and preferably use a relay and wire to the battery to be safe?

What if I convert to LED lights? With a lot less wattage would it be OK not to use a relay?

I haven't really looked at the bike yet. I bought it used and it came with the hitch installed, so it may already be wired, but no idea how it is wired.

Harbor Freight has the LED light kit on sale in the current catalog for $29.95 and there's a 20% coupon on there, so I'm thinking about installing LED anyway.

Thanks,

James

Jim,

If you go with LED lights you wont have any issues with your wiring. I just spliced in a setup on Dave Zipcodes 3 weeks ago and it works like a charm. Iffin you weren't so far away I'd tell you to shoot over and we'd hook it all up and make sure it was GTG. If you have other questions my cell # is in my profile.

Jim,

If you go with LED lights you wont have any issues with your wiring. I just spliced in a setup on Dave Zipcodes 3 weeks ago and it works like a charm. Iffin you weren't so far away I'd tell you to shoot over and we'd hook it all up and make sure it was GTG. If you have other questions my cell # is in my profile.

Thanks! That's what I was thinking, I'll pick up the LED kit next week.

Here are some pictures. It is the square type reciever hitch with the removable tounge that holds the ball. The wiring harness has two parts and includes the trailer isolator that converts the 5 wire system on the bike to 6 wire for the trailer. It should be everything you need, plug and play. I paid $165 for the whole thing.

Only my opinion, and I'm not familiar with HF LED's, but don't buy cheap LED's.

I've got over $150 into the lights on my trailer, but the thing lights up like a UFO on overdrive. And I only bought the middle of the road expensive LED's, not the "top of the line" ones.

• 2 weeks later...
Here are some pictures. It is the square type reciever hitch with the removable tounge that holds the ball. The wiring harness has two parts and includes the trailer isolator that converts the 5 wire system on the bike to 6 wire for the trailer. It should be everything you need, plug and play. I paid $165 for the whole thing.

When you say the whole thing did you mean hitch and harness? And if so where did you get this deal at?