I have a 83 Venture. I like it fine, but there is a question whether I am throwing good money after bad sometimes. I like to put 500 or 1000 miles on in a couple days and there is a question whether I am going to get back home. I have always bought used cars for value. Tend to try to buy good cars that don't hold their value well (Town Car for instance). I love touring a lot of miles. In your opinion what is the best value for a touring bike?

I would consider reliability, maintainance, looks etc. I ride solo so the back seat is not a big issue for me. Don't mind Harleys, but they keep their value extremely well. Seems like the Yamahas don't comparitively for example. Might be better deals.

I know I am going to get many different opinions, but that is what I am after.

Look forward to your thoughts.

Bob

Thanks for your reply.

Based on your rec, what years do you think r the best value?

Were there any great innvoations or body style changes that make one year a better value than another?

It seems that a bike is worth so much after so many years and it doesn't depreciate any more.

As I said, I have an 83 Gen 1. I get that they are a good value.

The problem is that the bike is 30 years old. The parts don't exist. The ABS plastic is disintegrating. Sooner or later it is time to say goodbye and that time might be sooner when it comes to long trip reliability. I agree they are good deals. I am an average guy with avg mechanical skills. I think to keep Gen 1's going at this point an owner needs to have better skills than I do and be willing to get stuck.

I want more reliability than a Gen 1 gives me.

I think you already own the best bang for the buck on the market if money is an issue. Parts are still available either via Ebay or your dealer. Plastic is repairable and will last as long as it's maintained, and accessory upgrades, although limited, are still around. i.e. Progressives, AGM batts, tires... Second gear is always an issue, but not all 83-'85's have a bad second gear. High reliable miles are very do-able. Ignore a bike and getting around the block is going to be a problem. All bikes are going to need wrenching, even new ones.

I think you already own the best bang for the buck on the market if money is an issue. Parts are still available either via Ebay or your dealer. Plastic is repairable and will last as long as it's maintained, and accessory upgrades, although limited, are still around. i.e. Progressives, AGM batts, tires... Second gear is always an issue, but not all 83-'85's have a bad second gear. High reliable miles are very do-able. Ignore a bike and getting around the block is going to be a problem. All bikes are going to need wrenching, even new ones.

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

I have a good 1200 without the goodies. And a 1300 with all the goodies. Newer in all cases is not better.

i ride a COWASAKI VOYAGER,it fits me better,lighter,lower,to gruond,lot better in parking lots,not as top heave,better plastic than the 1 ST gen,i ride single,run a BFG ct,i carrie 5 changes of closes,rain gear,cold weather coat,10 x 10 tent,air mat,chair, pump,sleeping bag,laptop,tools,repair,stuff,maybe over 200,000 mls,on a 1 st gens,over 100,000,on the voy,only been let down one time,lost a u-joint,in laural miss,rented a truck,took it home,use RIDE-ON,in tires,gas milage,35 at 80 mph--55 at 55=60 mph,front tire 30,000,rear ct 30,000

now thats my 2'ct

lowell

:witch_brew::bighug:

It depends on what you want....

I have rode a honda Dauville (NT700V) not too long ago, and they are a really really nice bike and insanely reliable. A buddy in europe has had one for 10 years and has well over 250,000 miles on it (450,000+km) and has had no issues. It's just right powered, so you wont be winning drag races, but he also typically get's well over 50mpg on it.

If you want FAST and a touring bike, the FJR1300 from yamaha cant be beat. It's an insane bike and witha corbin seat very comfy.

If you want a "geezer glide" as I was told they are called., then a Goldwing is the choice. but I can buy 3-4 Dauville bikes for the price of one. I personally think the goldwing has become really overpriced, but they are a very nice and comfy bike.

I personally dont like the 1930's retro big bad biker harley clone look. but if that's your style, the current RSV and other offerings cant be beat there as well....

There are many. I have chosen bikes based on 3 items. Handling/power, ease of service(I do all myown work) and is the track record of a machine...checking history. ONLY HONDA I would conside is possibly an ST1100. Some did have shaft issues like the early Venture. Other than that ...they are good. Otherwise I would look for an FJR1300. Or a parts bike for my aging 1st gen 1300. Yes, I like sporty tourers.