IGNORED

Helmet laws in the following States?

dogman

I will be off to Las Vegas July 3rd leaving from Toronto Canada. We must always wear a helmet in Canada so I have a question about helmet laws in the following States? It would be a treat to feel the wind blow thru what little hair I have before it is all gone.

Route down:

Michigan

Ohio

Indiana

Illinois

Missouri

Kansas

Colorado

New Mexico

Arizona

Nevada

Possible route home:

Texas

Louisiana

Mississippi

Alabama

Florida

Georgia

Tennessee

Kentucky

Any knowledge that you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Hope to see you when you get here if you can give a call.

I am on the list and hope to see you if you can.

Now Are you ABSOLUTLY SURE you want to come here in July??

Be aware it will be tripple digits and bring lots of water.

Travel at night if at all possible and if you cannot (travel at night)

Early morning is best Till noon.

Remember LOTS OF WATER and Gatorade (to replenish electrolytes)

I know it’s a dry heat (Like sticking your head in a oven)

OH we have a helmet law all motorcycles over 50cc (its nuts)

Anything under and no helmet. Hope to see you here................Ron

When he says drink lots of water he means like gallons. The relative humidity out in the desert might be 4% on a "humid" day. Drink the water BEFORE you feel like you need it. Carry two gallons with you. I know it sounds like a lot but believe me if you will need it, you will need every ounce of it. I usually put one in the fridge and one in the freezer the night before. Also DO NOT ride in short sleeves. That will just make your water loss worse. Believe it or not long sleeves a wet vest and a mesh jacket are the best. It is not unusual to get temps in the 40C to 45C range out in the deserts going to and from Las Vegas. Like he said travel at night or very early in the day if possible. I would also suggest a wet vest with a mesh jacket. As long as you keep the vest wet it feels like you are sitting in front of an air conditioner. I ride with two vest for each rider. One on and one in a gallon baggie soaking so that it is ready when I need it. Lastly do not forget the sun screen on the back of the neck and on your arms, even if they are covered. Don't ask me how I know this one.

Thanks for the pointers about the heat and fluids that I will need to drink.

I'm going to be camping along the way and must do a certain distance each day to ensure I arrive in time to pick my wife up at the airport. I guess I will have to be getting up pretty early to keep to my schedule.

Ron I will call you when I check into the condo.

Dave

You should have a ball, and get a ton of miles er KM's on as well.

I rode to vegas on my old shovelhead in '99. It's about 2,000 miles from southern WI.

And there not kiddin' about the hot and the water thing. We had been doing about 100 miles and stop for gas and a bottle of water. Once we crossed the border from AZ to NV we only had 90 miles to go to vegas. But we stopped twice in that 90 mile run to get water and that sweat bucket off the head to cool down a bit.

Have a safe trip, Scooter Bob

I assume you are doing route 66 out, so enjoy. There is possibly more old 4-lane left in Illinois than anywhere else, but a lot of it is now closed (one of the pairs of lanes, leaving the other open) so the county won't have to maintain it!

Don't miss the small but nice Route 66 museum at the truck stop in McLean just past Bloomington, IL.

Buy several good route 66 maps/books and make sure it is for Chicago to CA they make them going both ways. Nothing like reading all your mile markers backwards! :)

When we did a good portion of 66, we had several maps and each of them had different things to offer. So don't skimp on Route 66 maps.