IGNORED

Kumho tire problem

67mini67

Well I decided to go to the darkside. Found that Discount Tire had to order the tire. When it came in their machines could not install on the MC rim. I took it to a MC shop and they mounted ok but could not get it to seat. Took it to Les Schwab (closest to house) and they tried a dozen time to get it to seat with no luck. They tried so much that it started to tear the rubber at the bead. What do I do now. Tire still on the rim but not seated. Do I return the tire (if I could), try to lube up the bead with petrolium jelly (figures less harmfull to the tire) or do I just have to go to a MC tire. Thanks for the help

Wayde:bawling::bawling:

In my humble opinion, I'd get another tire and start over. The tire shop that I ordered mine from and put mine on got nervous trying to set the bead. The last pressure they took was 80 lbs. They had an old tire cage they used back in the day, and they put it in there and put the air to it. The manager said if I was willing to let it go he'd set it or blow it.

Glenn

They ( Kumho's ) can be a little contrary when it comes to getting them to seat. First_N_last and I was nearly an hour getting his to seat. We just kept at it with dawn dish soap and lottsa air pressure.

My air compressor pressure switch is set at 160lbs and I would let it build up and shut off before I started airing the tire. Several times it ALMOST went and we would break it down, re-lube and start over. When we noticed it was seating at different locations we decide it was going to go so just put the air to it.

Patience and perseverance will prevail and you will be happy with the result.

HEAT is the answer... I had mine up to 100 lbs... I did not go over 100 because of horror stories I read on the Delphi Darksiders Forum of tires blowing up over 100... Put it in front of a Monitor heater my Bro has at his shop with the part of the bead not seated closest to the heat and 20 mins later it popped... You could probably get the same results with a heat gun... Good luck..

Well I decided to go to the darkside. Found that Discount Tire had to order the tire. When it came in their machines could not install on the MC rim. I took it to a MC shop and they mounted ok but could not get it to seat. Took it to Les Schwab (closest to house) and they tried a dozen time to get it to seat with no luck. They tried so much that it started to tear the rubber at the bead. What do I do now. Tire still on the rim but not seated. Do I return the tire (if I could), try to lube up the bead with petrolium jelly (figures less harmfull to the tire) or do I just have to go to a MC tire. Thanks for the help

Wayde:bawling::bawling:

That stinks. Discount Tire ordered and mounted my BFG Radial T/A no problem. Told them it was for my sidecar. They were concerned about whether or not their machine would work, but no problems for me.

I have heard other Darksiders talk about setting the tire out in the sun and letting it heat up and expand. Also too the rim needs to be spotless, clean enough to eat off, and lots of lube. If it doesn't go on break it down and do it again.

We have a motorcycle shop in town that removes the tire stem valve before hitting it with about 60 psi. They told me that doing so allows more air into the tire faster and that with the proper lube the tire normally seats pretty easily. I personally haven't done it, but the tech told me he's mounted several that way. The point being that the valve restricts the flow of air into the tire. Once it's seated they put the valve back in and air it up to specs.

We have a motorcycle shop in town that removes the tire stem valve before hitting it with about 60 psi. They told me that doing so allows more air into the tire faster and that with the proper lube the tire normally seats pretty easily. I personally haven't done it, but the tech told me he's mounted several that way. The point being that the valve restricts the flow of air into the tire. Once it's seated they put the valve back in and air it up to specs.

Thats exactly how I used to do tires when I managed a tire store, like you mentioned, shoves more air in faster.

I had an uncle that use to do a lot of his own car tire mounting and balancing and he had a strap that he would put around the tread of the tire and cinch it down causing the sidewalls to move to the rim. Might help? You may be doing this already.

Dave

Had to let mine sit in the hot texas sun for a couple of hours. It was right at 100psi when the bead finally set after what seemed like the 20th time of trying. I used a Nexen though. I was using the ky lube somebody had mentioned on one of the other threads here. I have a slight wiggle above 80. The radial lets the bike roll much easier. It seems very light if I push it anywhere now. Only notice the tar snakes in a turn on the front now. But the bike does want to wander on road grooves more. Still getting use to it but I may stay with the CT.

Well I finally got the tire to seat. I came home from work on Sat and tried about 8 more times. The last time it held air (it had a small bead leak about 4 times in a row) and gave up for the evening. I brought the tire inside for the night. In the morning it still had not seated so I put it in front of our gas heater and in about 90 minutes and heard the pop of a bead seating. Hurray!!!!! I have put about a 100 miles on it so far and am pleased with the ride so far. 40psi in the rear and 36 in the front. Thanks for the help and insight.:dancefool:

• 1 year later...