IGNORED

GAS CAP STUCK! Dealer put the gas cap in 180 degrees wrong.

Hello VR Forum!

I'm a newbie here as I just purchased a 2006 RSTD last night. It's a sweet bike, but I already have one problem.

The dealer (or someone) put the gas cap in wrong. :headache: It's stuck and won't come out. The triangle notch on the top of the cap is pointing at the road behind - the 6:00 position - when it should be pointing at the road ahead - the 12:00 position. I tried and tried to get the cap off, but had no luck.

Today after work, I'm going to try to hold the key in the unlocked position while spinning the gas cap so it's in the right position to be removed. A mechanic at a local Yamaha dealer suggested this one.

Any other advice??

Thanks,

Greg

Did you buy it from a dealer??? if so I would have them get it off.... but no, I have never seen that one...some one on here probably has though, give them time to see this and they may be able to help you out... and welcome to the family!!

Hello VR Forum!

I'm a newbie here as I just purchased a 2006 RSTD last night. It's a sweet bike, but I already have one problem.

The dealer (or someone) put the gas cap in wrong. :headache: It's stuck and won't come out. The triangle notch on the top of the cap is pointing at the road behind - the 6:00 position - when it should be pointing at the road ahead - the 12:00 position. I tried and tried to get the cap off, but had no luck.

Today after work, I'm going to try to hold the key in the unlocked position while spinning the gas cap so it's in the right position to be removed. A mechanic at a local Yamaha dealer suggested this one.

Any other advice??

Thanks,

Greg

Yes, I bought the bike from a dealer. However, I don't have enough gas in the tank to make it back there. I've already called them and they have a truck to come pick up the bike. That's fine, but I want to ride.

I'm wondering if they knew about this issue and did nothing. I've been unimpressed with them so far, so this lack of attention to detail doesn't totally surprise me.

Hi Greg,

Welcome. A 2006 RSTD is the best on the forum, especially if it is black! Well done!

Sorry I can't offer help, but can I ask that you post how it was fixed? One of the strengths of this site is that people post the solutions to their problems.

I wonder if you could have put a gas line on the output of the fuel valve, with a gas can higher than the tank. Maybe then you could have filled the gas tank from the outflow side? Is the fuel valve one way?

Dave

Welcome to the site..I have an RSV 2008 I think the tank is a little different, but I walked out to the garage and with my cap installed properly I put in the key and tryed to rotate it "NO CAN DO" the side with the arrow has a square tit so to speak see blurry picture below. It sits in a notch cutout in the tank so it can't be rotated.

Who ever did it really had to push it in. But being that it is already twisted it might be possible to rotate it around.

I hope you I hope you are successful!

Ok, that got my interest so i went out to look at mine. the groove in the tank neck is just a slighty indented to recieve the index ridge on the cap. I can see i could have pushed the cap in backward and created a new channel for that ridge. That being said I can"t see how the "release ears" of the cap would not work even if the cap is on backward. The key should turn 90deg if the ears are retracting and the cap pulls straight out. I would suggest you push the cap down hard and try the key. If it does turn 90deg then the friction of the index ridge that forced a new grove on the back of the filler neck is holding it in.. Give it a big pull!

Boy, it is too bad Yamaha didn't design these in such a way to make it difficult to put the cap on anyway but the correct way...

Oh. Wait a minute, they did.

I sure hope that your dealer takes care of you on this. This sounds pretty ridiculous...

Boy, it is too bad Yamaha didn't design these in such a way to make it difficult to put the cap on anyway but the correct way...

Oh. Wait a minute, they did.

LOL at this.... :big-grin-emoticon:

The first time I fueled up my RSTD, I tried to put the gas cap on wrong, and I couldn't. I think someone must have wedged it in there pretty good.

Hey y'all!

I apologize for not posting sooner, but I was out riding :happy65:

I solved the problem with one of my original ideas. I had forgotten about this one due to the mind-wiping anger I was experiencing about the thought of a dealer employee jamming the cap onto the tank assembly.

I laid a small section of squishable rubber pipe on my tank to protect it and used a screwdriver as a simple lever to pop the cap right off. It seems so easy, but I couldn't see the solution through all of the drama.

Those who took photos of your fuel cap assembly, THANK YOU very much. I really appreciate you going out of your way to help out. The photos were a HUGE help in understanding what was happening in there.

Happy long weekend!

Greg

hi greg

welcome to the family, i have a '99 rsv and have had almost the same problem. only i have turned the cap just a little ways left or right from the center position. it stuck like yours but was able to finaly unstick it. glad you fixed the problem.

reguards

don c.