IGNORED

Just Traded The 96 RS for an RSV..Couple ??

tbird71

Hi Everybody;

Just traded my 96 Royal Star for an 01 bagger:

Old guy owned 11K mi example...sweet

Picking it up tomorrow

Couple ??...I've owned most of the touring models:

83 Venture

78-91 GW

Voyager

Just about everything except an HD and this RSV

Couple questions you experts can answer:

1. How topheavy is it? Surely not as bulbous as my 91 Aspencade!

(That thing was like trying to mount an elephant and was absolutely scary in a parking lot with rocks...I kept my 85 Aspencade and was glad I did...still have it)

2. I read some threads on here saying there was a difference between the 01-07 models?

I thought after 01 they stayed pretty much the same?

3. Were the WW tires original to some of these, or aftermarket...

4. What about the clutch basket recall...was this model affected and should I have dealer fix before taking delivery?

We're going to Savannah next month, might as well go in style with the best (if it's anything like my Royal Star...I like Yamaha quality!)

Thanks, Guys! Ride Safe!!

http://www.timemachinewatch.com/buy/rsv01.jpg

1. The bike is known to be top heavy but there is a way around that issue. You can practice..practice practice. or do like I did. I put a 130 tire on the front and all those issues disappeared. Also lowering links have helped some but nothing replaces lots of slow parking lot practive. In my case the new 130 appeared to make the bike completely a different ride with turning lots easier and no forcing the slow turns but that's my opinio.

2. From 99 to today there has been nary a change in the bike.

3. All the bikes come standard with black tires. If you want WW or WWW you will need to get your own. I use Dunlops but everyone swears by the AVons.

4. There is no recall for the Whine on the bikes. If yours whines very loudly you can turn your radio up. or get loud pipes or even replace the clutch basket with a "I" basket. Some bikes dont have the whine whil others are awful.

Enjoy you ride but be sure to practice turns and slow riding on it in parking lots until you get really use to it.

My 2c

I had a 94 GW, before riding a Venture all I heard was how top heavy they were. When I bought my first RSV, I wondered what everybody was talking about. In my opinion most of the people who talk about the Venture being top heavy have not owned a 1500 Gold Wing. Now there's some serious top heavy!

Hi Everybody;

Howdy

Just traded my 96 Royal Star for an 01 bagger:

You picked the best color :happy34: (although I may be slightly biased)

1. How topheavy is it? Surely not as bulbous as my 91 Aspencade!

(That thing was like trying to mount an elephant and was absolutely scary in a parking lot with rocks...I kept my 85 Aspencade and was glad I did...still have it)

Some feel it is a little top heavy at low speeds. For a 900 lb bike, with a lot of weight up top, I think it is fine. I'm no giant by any stretch of the imagination (5'8" with a 31" inseam). Just STAY OFF the front brake when doing low speed manuvering.

I also have an 82 wing (GL1100 interstate). The wing definitely feels lighter (lower center of gravity), but I can still throw the RSV around pretty well. Just take your time getting used to it and like I said, whatever you do, do NOT use the front brake at low speeds - especially if the bars are anything BUT straight. - That is a recipe for disaster.

Since you've ridden/owned so many bikes, I doubt you'll have any trouble getting used to this one. If you do, there are plenty of options to help low speed maneuverability and handling that can help account for vertically challenged people, as well as those that are monsters and need the bike raised. I would suggest spending some time on the bike before making any of those types of changes though - that will allow for a 'proper' adjustment period so you can get accustomed to the bike.

2. I read some threads on here saying there was a difference between the 01-07 models?

I thought after 01 they stayed pretty much the same?

Only differences from 2001 to 2010 are:

- in 03 (or 04) they added a vent hose to the rear shock

- Colors

- I think I read that in 2005 something was changed with the mounting of the radiator, but that has not been verified and I have only seen that mentioned once

- 2010 had some 'awesome' flame stickers, no whiskers

- 2009 The CD player as a standard accessory (instead of the available option)

- 2004 (+/- 1 year or so) and beyond Yamaha switched the silver/chrome color engine to a blacked out version

But these are all extremely minor changes

3. Were the WW tires original to some of these, or aftermarket...

White walls have never been OEM. The Dunlop 404s do have a whitewall option in the correct size for this bike, but the venture never came with that as original equipment.

4. What about the clutch basket recall...was this model affected and should I have dealer fix before taking delivery?

The clutch basket whine thing was not a recall. There is a service bulletin on it, but no recall. As far as I know, the only 'problem' with it is the whine associated with it - some bikes are worse than others.

Mine is like a woma... I won't go there. Lets just say, mine has a mind of its own. Some days at certain speeds (RPMs, really) I can't hear it at all and the bike just hums along. Other days, it is quite obnoxious. I think that since it deals with the gear tolerance, ambient air temperature makes a difference, along with several other factors. But again, nothing mechanically wrong with it - it just gets a little annoying after a while (sometimes).

We're going to Savannah next month, might as well go in style with the best (if it's anything like my Royal Star...I like Yamaha quality!)

It is very much like your royal star. Same motor (I believe), different cams and carbs though - but it is essentially based on the same bike.

Thanks, Guys! Ride Safe!!

You too bud, and welcome to the site. When you get there and do your initial inspection on the bike, make sure you take a real good look at the rear shock and look for ANY SIGN of oil dripping from the shock. Push up the rubber cover (it looks like a mini accordion) and see if you see oil. If you see oil, you'll be in need of a rear shock relatively soon (if not already) and OEMs start around 450. The shock is a known weak point on these bikes. Also look at the lower cowlings (the plastic deals in front of the floorboards). Some have had issues with these cracking.

Maybe its too late for further negotiation, but this could be helpful in cutting the price down a little so you can have the bike in great condition.

Anyways, I'll cork it now as this post has gotten quite long.

Again, welcome to the site and I hope that your new-to-you bike is great and gives you plenty-o-miles :thumbsup2:

Any other questions, just hop on and ask. There IS a search function on the upper tool bar on this site, that makes finding things very helpful. Also, for common technical things (maintenance items, etc.) when you click on the 'forum' link on the toolbar, scroll down a ways and you'll see "Second Gen technical library" or something similar to that. There is a lot of good info in there too.

Okay, shutting up for REAL now.

:Venture:

1. The bike is known to be top heavy but there is a way around that issue. You can practice..practice practice. or do like I did. I put a 130 tire on the front and all those issues disappeared. Also lowering links have helped some but nothing replaces lots of slow parking lot practive.

Don't you mean leveling links??? they actually raise the bike a little.

I'll check the shocks and the cowling vents, all I did was put some money down to hold,

I plan to take it out 15-20 miles, with a used bike they won't have a problem with that.

If the rear shock isn't leaking, I'll assume it's fine.

One last ??....Does anybody know about when the shock is prone to leakage? Is it years or miles? This bike has 11,200 actual on it so it's barely broken in, but still almost 10 years old.

From my experience of moving from my '98 RSTC to my '99 RSV is the seat height. I'm 5'5" with a 27" inseam. Until I got the RSV, I thought the RSTC was tall, but was under the mistaken idea that the RSV was the same size. WRONG!!! :smilies6:

Once I get the RSV moving, to me, it feels pretty much like the RS, as long as my feet are on the boards. Coming to a complete stop, though, the two bikes, IMHO, are very different. I can for the most part get both heels down on the RS, but not on the RSV, unless 2-up. While still a challenge, I am getting more comfortable coming to a stop on the RSV. Yeah, I HAVE dropped both of them several times (don't kid yourself, unless you are Superman, you will too!). You haven't said how tall you are, but if you too are inseam challenged, you might consider lowering the front 1". If you are taller, consider leveling links, which will raise the rear about an inch. Either option will make the RSV handle a lit better at low speeds. Changing to a 130 front tire has been reported to help low speeds, but some say that the 130 is not as stable as the 150 at highway speeds.

OH I forgot to say; :welcome1:to the asylum!!!

Well, I'm 5'7 1/2" and a 30 inseam, the RS was fine,

if we weren't taking this big trip I'd be keeping it, but

what the hey...been wanting to try out the venture for awhile now

may as well put some miles on one. The deal on the 01 with only 11K

that I got was a factor too...they treated me right.

As I said in the first post, I had to sell that humongous GL1500

smooth as they come, but do NOT get it into a rocked parking lot!!

Just too big...I had a Road King and it's not a small bike but it was like a Rupp mini bike after getting off the Wing!

I'll check all the points mentioned, (shock, cowling lowers and trunk tabs) and

let you guys know my riding impressions.

I'm kinda used to higher seats, just finished up this one below..it has one of the highest seats, but pretty good ground clearance...LOL

http://www.timemachinewatch.com/wweek/p21b.JPG

http://www.timemachinewatch.com/wweek/p21e.JPG

I'll check the shocks and the cowling vents, all I did was put some money down to hold,

I plan to take it out 15-20 miles, with a used bike they won't have a problem with that.

If the rear shock isn't leaking, I'll assume it's fine.

One last ??....Does anybody know about when the shock is prone to leakage? Is it years or miles? This bike has 11,200 actual on it so it's barely broken in, but still almost 10 years old.

You dont know when the shock will take a dump on you. Some newer years have had their shocks replaced several times while others still have the original. My 99's shock lasted 10 years and 60k before it went south. Look under the shock and you will see a rubber boot. Pry up under that boot a bit and see if its wet or dry. If its wet, the shocks gone. The oil will have a slightly hydraulic smell to it. Sometimes the outside of the boot may have some engine oil on it from those 4 hoses in front of it. Its what inside the boot that counts.

Enjoy your trip to Savannah but......Stay off River St with that RSV. The cobblestones and train tracks make for a really stressful ride on it. :smile5: