IGNORED

No headlight, no dash lights, no clue...

Help!

Yesterday morning on my way to work about an hour before sunrise... doing hand to hand combat with the cagers on the way to work... and my headlight and dash lights go out at the same time!! At least I still had my driving lights, but it made me nervous to say the least...

Anyone have any ideas what may have caused it?? I guessed that maybe the starter swith might be going bad... so I changed it out last nite... no change!

I'm stumped.

This is my progress so far...

Checked fuses...(updated blade type fuses)

Replaced handlebar switches (and cleaned them prior to replacement)....

checked the wiring to headlight...

Next step is to replace the dash with a spare...

but it all has to wait til I get home from work... man work sure takes a big chunk outta the day...

Yes it is

It is fairly simple to remove first pull the cluster unit and then remove the 4 screws that hold the black plastic cover from the back then the 4 screws that hold in the monitor now slowly and gently remove the circuit board then you can remove the 4 screws that hold the thing together and un plug the board. Solder all the joints where the harness plugs into the board (bike harness)

Reverse and have a nice ride.

Jeff

The power for headlight and dash bulbs goes through the headlight fuse, then the headlight contacts in the starter switch before splitting up to feed the dash bulbs and the reserve lighting unit for the headlight supply.

You should recheck voltage on the headlight fuse and verify that the starter switch is fully releasing to close the contacts to the headlight and dash bulbs. Try pulling the button further out.

The CMS solder problems can affect the headlight, but shouldn't keep dash lights from working.

Yes, Check the Start Switch. When you push the Start switch, the second set of contacts, go es too OPEN.

Sounds like bad contact here. Give the Switch a bath with WD-40, blow out with compressed air, the give it a bath with an electrical contact cleaner product.