IGNORED

Avon Tire owners

sgtjcj

I am getting ready to get new tires for my RSTD. On my RoadStar, I have had 4 sets of Venom X, 1 Venom R, 2 Metz 880, and the stock tires.

I found that I like the venoms more than any other tire for the heavy cruiser. I am looking at the 2 available for the RSTD one is rated "H" and the other rated "V". The H has a heavier load capacity. Do any of you Venom X owners have an opinion as to which tire would be longer lasting & why?

Thanks

I have a Venum X -H on the front of mine with over 20k on it and still have tread left. it is starting to cup a bit on the outsides but other then that I got my money out of it..

I am getting ready to get new tires for my RSTD. On my RoadStar, I have had 4 sets of Venom X, 1 Venom R, 2 Metz 880, and the stock tires.

I found that I like the venoms more than any other tire for the heavy cruiser. I am looking at the 2 available for the RSTD one is rated "H" and the other rated "V". The H has a heavier load capacity. Do any of you Venom X owners have an opinion as to which tire would be longer lasting & why?

Thanks

Thanks

Not sure the rating or load capacity will make any difference in longevity, but I firmly believe that higher load capacity is always better and safer on a heavy bikes like these.

http://www.avonmoto.com/products/cruiser-touring-custom/venom

71=761lbs , 74=827lbs, 80=992lbs

2848912 150/90B15 80H

2848913 150/90B15 74V

H is rated for 130mph

V is rated for >149mph

I 'think' the V tire has a lower weight rating because its rated at a higher speed. I have a '74V' rated rear tire on my RSTD with 2,000 miles on it. No problems so far.

For the front I see:

2807412 150/80-16 71H

2805012 MT90B16 74H (narrower tire)

Any of these tires are rated in excess of what even a heavily loaded bike should put on them.

btw. here's a $25 per tire rebate for Avon's bought this month.

V7Goose said that the H lasts longer. When I needed the rear replaced on my Venture I called him from the shop to confirm which one lasted longer. Max sidewall is also 50psi as opposed to, I believe, 42 although he recommends 48 in the rear just cause it handles better.

Just checked a few web sites. SW Moto has the best prices for the Avon Am41.

$126.95 shipped for the MT90HB16 #2805012 less $25 rebate thats $102 plus mounting.

I'll see if my local shop will come close. They charge $25 for mounting if I bring in the wheel.

AVON AM42 150/90HB15 VENOM REAR $142.95

re: H vs V rear. I'll have to see what kind of mileage I get. I didn't realize I was getting the V rated tire until I already had it via a private seller off ebay. If it has better traction, then I'm ok with a lesser tire life. I'll ask Avon what they think.

Being an Avon fan already, it was probably inevitable that I was going to buy one of the 2. My assumption was that the V rated gripped a bit more which in turn made it softer. I figured I would be buying the H rated for longevity. The rebate pretty much clinches the deal to buy right now. Thanks for the info.

btw. here's a $25 per tire rebate for Avon's bought this month.

Here's the reply from Avon tech support:

The V rated tire is designed for the Yamaha V Max. It has a stickier compound so it gets a bit less mileage and has less of a load rating as that is not as crucial on this bike as it would be on a tour deluxe. V speed is 149 mph vs H rated which is 130 mph. The handling of the tires is the same for agility and easy turn in. At lower speeds load could be quite similar but I don’t have test results for that so I can’t quote you anything.

For your bike I would stick with the H rated tire, especially since the front is H rated so you have a match.

Any of these tires are rated in excess of what even a heavily loaded bike should put on them.

Speak for yourself - you'd be amazed what these things can pull if you upgrade the suspension enough.

I used the use the Conti Tour, but it has been discontinued (in the UK at least), so had to switch to the Avon.

Used the v rated super venoms on my Madura. They were rated for the bike which was 150 mph. I would burn through the rear tire in one season but I rode it hard and it performed well. I now use the venom h on the venture. good performance but longer lasting. Into my third season with it and I think. another three to go at least.

Indeed. I pulled a 1220 lb. trailer from Mississippi to WA state (3400 miles) with my RoadStar. These bikes will do whatever is asked of them.

Speak for yourself - you'd be amazed what these things can pull if you upgrade the suspension enough.

I used the use the Conti Tour, but it has been discontinued (in the UK at least), so had to switch to the Avon.