IGNORED

What Do You Drain Your Oil Into?

awsmsrv

Last time I did this, I used a Tupperware container that almost overflowed by the time all the oil drained. I'm looking for something that will fit under my Sears bike lift, maybe 12"L x 10"W x 6"D. Any suggestion are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I put the bike on the center stand and drain into the same pan I use for everything. If you use the lift and have trouble getting the pan under you might try another trick I use sometimes. On my snowblower the drain pipe came out over the space between the wheel and frame. I would just cut a piece of cardboard and bend it into a v and use that as a trough to get the drain oil to the pan. Just pitch the cardboard when done. If the trough method works you could get some light aluminum and bend a more permanent one. The snowblower was a once a year thing.

somebody here makes a bracket that gos on your jack , after you jack the bike up , put on the 4 legs and remove the jack , kewl huh :thumbsup:,

I think thom440 is referring to Carbon One's lift adaptor, with the leg attachment.

I use a Rubbermaid Draintainer that sadly is no longer made...

On my 1950 H-D FL to remove the oil filter, I cut an empty 1.5 L plastic Gin Bottle (IIRC it is Miltary Special brand) to fit behind and around the filter, to catch all the oil....

Modifying plastic bottles from the trash works for me.

I use a round drain pan I got at Canadian Tire years and years ago. It's about 4" deep and has a "V" lip on one side for pouring the old oil out. Disposing of the old oil is a bit of a problem tho because you just can't dump it anywhere.

I use a rubbermaid dish pan its blue in color and is the size your looking for.

don't remember the cost but am sure it was cheep.

Then I drain the oil into old gallon jugs for transport to the waist disposal area.

put my old filter in the box from the new filter(after draining it and wiping it off) to take to the waist disposal area.

Hope this helps...........................Ron

Last time I did this, I used a Tupperware container that almost overflowed by the time all the oil drained. I'm looking for something that will fit under my Sears bike lift, maybe 12"L x 10"W x 6"D. Any suggestion are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I bought a normal circular car oil drain pan. It fits under the bike with the bike on my Carbon One lift adapter. Get the lift adapter with legs. You won't regret it.

I use a shallow Wedco oil drain pan /container...has shallow funnel that stores on the side of the container...holds about 7 US quarts....can store the oil till disposal. Looks like this one

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Wedco-Quart-Oil-Drain-Pan/dp/B000I2UVPE]Amazon.com: Wedco 7 Quart Oil Drain Pan: Automotive[/ame]

I have used the same device as Neil86 for over 10 years!

The only thing you have to clean when you're done is the funnel section, which is quick and easy. After that it easily stores until you need it again or it gets full.

When it does get full I take it to a nearby Pep Boys and empty it in their oil barrel, at no charge!

Terry

I do wish that Rubbermaid would make their drain pan again.

It holds about 15 quarts and the entire lid screws off and on, so you don't have to wipe down a funnel section before transporting to the oil recycling in your area.

The only down side was I had to be careful when screwing on the lid to keep from cross-threading it.

I put the bike up on the center stand and use a large paint roller pan and it works just fine.

Another genius among us. :detective:

This is what I do as well. (Paint Roller pan,) But my RSV has no center sand, so I just sit on it & hold it upright to get the lst few drops of oil out. I place the old oil back into the quart containers that the new oil came in. I save some of it for odd's & ends where dirty oil works well. The surplus I discard at the landfill in the designated area.

Pyro