IGNORED

Replacing clutch fluid with a MityVac

I am about to tackle replacing my clutch fluid. I've read posts here about pumping the clutch and bleeding it. However, I have invested in a MityVac and plan to use it. I've never done this before but from what I've read it seems that all I need to do is connect the vac to the bleeder valve and pull the old fluid out as I pour new fluid into the master cylinder. Is it really that simple? Has anyone used a MityVac to do this?

Attached is a photo of the MityVac kit I bought.

Thanks for the help,

Dennis

I used something quite similar (had it too long to remember if it was that brand name) to change out front and rear brakes, and clutch fluids. I used it to remove the old fluid from the reservoir first, so I could top it off with fresh. Then I used it to pull the fluid through the system until the fresh was being pulled into the container. Piece o' cake. The hardest part was finding the right plastic adapter to fit on the bleeder(s).

Of course, the standard "don't get sloppy", and "don't let it pull air" caveats apply.

I also use it every spring to pull the gas I should have removed in the fall out of the lawnmower tank. Since I've had it I've even changed the fluid in my car and Irene's truck. I'd have never done it otherwise, though I'd have told myself I should.

I am about to tackle replacing my clutch fluid. I've read posts here about pumping the clutch and bleeding it. However, I have invested in a MityVac and plan to use it. I've never done this before but from what I've read it seems that all I need to do is connect the vac to the bleeder valve and pull the old fluid out as I pour new fluid into the master cylinder. Is it really that simple? Has anyone used a MityVac to do this?

Attached is a photo of the MityVac kit I bought.

Thanks for the help,

Dennis

My vote is for Speed Bleeders. :bowdown:

I have a unit VERY similar to this and I find it pulls air in the system around the bleeder screw threads. I wonder if Teflon tape carefully placed just on the threads would help?

I drain the system, then use a windsheild washer pump and back fill it by pumping fluid in through the bleeder screw until the master cylinder is full. Its a snap and its clean.

I have on maney occasions used a mighty vac as well. Any air that may slip in past the threads of the bleeder screw just gets sucked right back out again so trying to seal the bleeder screw threads is just a waste of time. The worst this air does is make you wonder if you got all the air out when in fact you did.

I just bled my whole brake and clutch system with my MityVac. As long as you have a good tight fit on the bleeder you shouldnt have any problems. One thing to do is to suck out any old fluid from the resovior with an old turkey baster and clean up any deposits lurking in the base of the resovior. Also make sure you cover up any exposed area around the resovoir. I used plastic garbage bags. Keeps fluid from doing any damage to painted areas.

Since it was a rainy day today I was able to get in the garage to change out my clutch fluid. It was a fairly simple process and the mityvac worked well. I actually pulled air into the line because I wanted to drain the master cylinder so I could clean all of the black stuff out of it. After refilling I used the mityvac to pull the equivalent of 3 or 4 cylinders full of fluid through the line. After I finished I thought I had really screwed up because I had no clutch. After my initial panic I pumped the lever what seemed like hundreds of times and it pressurized. All is well now. Thanks to eveyone here for advice.

Dennis

What maybe a silly Question, but can we not just connect a hose to the bleeder, run it into a container with fluid in it, then just slowly pump the clutch lever and refill the reservoir as it goes down? Even if having to lock the bleeder after each stoke.

Though I didn't try it, it seems like you could tie the lever against the grip and let gravity do most of the work. Worst case would be the traditional pump/hold/open/close method. I already had the vacuum pump, so it was just a natural. I liked the ability to easily vacuum out the reservoir and refill with clean. I was able to clean out the bottom without getting air in the system.

I picked up a Mity-Vac today at Harbor Freigh. I flushed and reserviced my clutch, front brakes, and rear brake in about 1 1/2 hrs. Start to finish. It worked great

I give it :thumbsup:.

Then I tackled the dreaded "Fuel Filter". Wasn't as bad as I thought, but they could have made it a little easier to get at!

Really am kinda lost when it comes to finding the location of the clutch bleeder valve. Need to have mine done as it is dark but can seem to find the location of bleeder valve, 2nd gen 07 RSV Thanks A photo would be helpful. Thanks

Really am kinda lost when it comes to finding the location of the clutch bleeder valve. Need to have mine done as it is dark but can seem to find the location of bleeder valve, 2nd gen 07 RSV Thanks A photo would be helpful. Thanks

I looked in the manual and it says to remove the left rear cylinder side cover (fin) and its down to the right. Hope this helps.

Ian

PS I took a look at my bike, you can see a square rubber grommet below the fin . its under there

Edited by ibents

I looked in the manual and it says to remove the left rear cylinder side cover (fin) and its down to the right. Hope this helps.

Ian

PS I took a look at my bike, you can see a square rubber grommet below the fin . its under there

It is located down by the left rear cylinder fin (as you sit on the bike) covered by a piece of rubber. You do not need to remove the fin, just move the rubber out of the way.