IGNORED

1983 venture

bike nut

I have a 1st generation.It is in pretty good shape.My question is when you are going between 103 and 116 kph,there is a high pich noise coming from the front of the motor.I have done the wheel bearings and replaced the front tire.Can anyone tell me what this could be.Thanks

Hey Bike Nut,

Because I am not there to hear the noise, but because you said it was speed specific, I would guess it could be the bushing that is in the speedo drive. Follow the cable that goes from the front wheel up to the dash. You will need to remove the windshield, the cover to the dash, the screws that hold the dash on, (a right angle Phillips head screw driver is handy here) flip the dash back, and use some 3in1 oil or 30 WT. motor oil to lube the place where the speedo cable enters the dash. Not a fun job but once done you will be good for a year or two. You might as well lube the cable while you are at it. Disconnect the cable casing from the front wheel, (screws off ) pull out the speedo cable, clean it off and use some bearing grease (or Moly 60) and lube that puppy up.

Hope thats the right noise,:confused24:

Earl

:sign yeah that: thats what he said for me to do. and it works too. my speedo is off by 5 mph dont ask me how i know this. something about blue lights flashing but a nice female officer

said keep it down old man? gee i was only doing what i thought was 30mph im first gear. so ok its 35 mph. i wasent hurting no one. just some ducks walking down to the river. also saw what i thought was a piece of rope imagine my surprise when it moved..

old goat who says becarefull what ya try to pick up it just might bite ya.

When doing that speed, just pull in the clutch, let it go back to idle and see if the noise stays the same. If it stays the same, may be speedo as noted. If not, you may have a bike that is a little noisier than others or you have one that is normal and you will have to get used to it.

RandyA

...(a right angle Phillips head screw driver is handy here) ...

OUCH! That's how you guys do it removing only the windshield. I hate wiggling those bent screwdrivers in tight places.

If you pull the signal/marker lamps it's a straight shot to those screws with a long Phillips driver.

When doing that speed, just pull in the clutch, let it go back to idle and see if the noise stays the same. If it stays the same, may be speedo as noted. If not, you may have a bike that is a little noisier than others or you have one that is normal and you will have to get used to it.

RandyA

:sign yeah that: or it could be tire whine or wheel bearings. Since it only happens between 103 and 116mph I wouldn't worry about it unless you plan on traveling that speed on a daily basis and holding it there. If it were happening at a slower speed then I'd be concerned.

OUCH! That's how you guys do it removing only the windshield. I hate wiggling those bent screwdrivers in tight places.

If you pull the signal/marker lamps it's a straight shot to those screws with a long Phillips driver.

That sounds like MORE work that just pulling the two bolts through the headlight area. I use a wobble socket on a long extension - 1/4 inch drive. I put the bolts back the same way.

It sounds like the high pitched whine that my 85 G1 gets around 3000 rpm no matter what speed I am doing. Mabbe check it out in different gears, I am betting youre just getting the whine from the clutch basket.

Mine gets darn loud sometimes in hot weather on a long ride, but I ve been told its just because of the fact the gears are cut straight in the trans.

Brian

Actually listen to this and compare it to yours, its a video I took last year at Kruisn the Kootenays in Nelson BC If you take out the wind noise all you hear is whine about 2 minutes into the video. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3aJzgESXgI&feature=related]YouTube- Kruisn the Kootenays ride1[/ame]

:sign yeah that: or it could be tire whine or wheel bearings. Since it only happens between 103 and 116mph I wouldn't worry about it unless you plan on traveling that speed on a daily basis and holding it there. If it were happening at a slower speed then I'd be concerned.

He said kph not mph.

Big difference