IGNORED

'91VR oil leak saga...etc...ect...ect.......

The '91's ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!! Spent yesterday re-syncing the carbs, and it's running awesome. As some of you may remember the '91 had an oil leak that was driving me bonkers, both trying to locate and then repair.

I had Gone14s re-ring the shift sensor and that seemed to take care of the problem. At the time we were using Herb's cut-away middle gear cover... which will be coming back to you Herb... Kurt put the OEM cover back on the bike aand I brought her home. While syncing the carbs it started to leak again. So 2+2=4.. OK so it's the OEM MG cover... SO.. about a week ago I re-gasketed the MGC and put some RTV along the bottom edge. Buttoned it back up. Fired it up and it didn't see any drips but wow did it smoke. Caugh..Caugh....

Yesterday I said the he11 with it and decided to let it smoke and re-sync the carbs. I did see a couple of drips under the bike when I started, but plowed ahead.

Syncing.... After the first sync the bike had a major problem with the idle setting, and ran like cr@p. SO I backed off all the sync screws and started from scratch. Adjusted the idle to 1000rpm which is carb#2. Then I adjusted #1 by ear to to get it close to #2 by idle. Then I hooked the carb-tune up. The sync between #2 and #1 was almost perfect with the tune. As expected #4 and #3 were rediculously off. Started turning screws and they started to come together, but the idle started to climb. Readjusted the idle back down and finally got all four carbs to pull the same vacuum. Ran like a Raped Ape. WOW!!

Now here's the kicker. The motor stopped smoking and leaking. Here's my theory. Due to the motor being so far out of sync it was somehow building crank pressure and blowing oil out the overflow or a weak seal? How...haven't got a clue...

Anyway, new tires go on next week. Riding when it stops raining...

Thanks for sticking with me through this overly long post.... :big-grin-emoticon:

Yeah, had to do something. Old Faithfull has a new owner.... :mo money:

Old faithful was a good bike for ya wasnt she, how many miles did you have on her? someone from here buy her or was it someone locally?

Its just not gonna look right seeing you one something that aint gold.....lol

Brian

running uneven...does not cause excessive pressure in the cases. Just uneven pressure. No more than running at 3000rpm all the time. I think your RTV likely sealed something up. Also the PCV design on these works good. especially if you have K&N in the air box. GLad to hear all is well.

Old faithful was a good bike for ya wasnt she, how many miles did you have on her? someone from here buy her or was it someone locally?

Its just not gonna look right seeing you one something that aint gold.....lol

Brian

Actually I had it listed here, and on Craigslist. Got three hits almost emediately offa Craig's. Emailed two of them extra pics, and then my son showed up and bought it.... Go figure. So in a way she's still in the family... :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Condor

My 88 is in the shop currently for a list of things, one of them was the ignition computer and is being updated on the IgniTech aftermarket computer thread elsewhere.

My question is this. Ever since I bought the bike it would smoke after heating up when it sits for a while but then be fine as long as it was driven. My mechanic has located the leak and it's the shift sensor where the wires come out of. Yamaha discontinued the part. they have tried to seal it with silicone, jb weld and it's still leaking.

The leak isn't bad at all, it's more of a seepage. Once it sits enough leaks out to burn off in a big cloud of smoke that looks, well, UN-appealing. So the smoking, not the loss of oil is my reasoning for fixing it.

Could you share with me, in as much detail as you feel like, any possible fix for this so that I can pass it onto my mechanic for consideration? It sounds like you might have found one..

Any advice or info you can give me is much appreciated.

~Chris

Partshark.com has them for $53

Electrical 2 page Item #8.

Is it part in 1st picture below?

I have a neutral only sender I could send, looks like one in second picture.

You would lose gear indicator on cluster though.

Gary

Could you share with me, in as much detail as you feel like, any possible fix for this so that I can pass it onto my mechanic for consideration? It sounds like you might have found one..

Any advice or info you can give me is much appreciated.

~Chris

Hey Chris, You're going to have to remove the middle gear cover to get to the selector on the casing. The attached pics show what to look for. You'll need to pick up an 'O' ring from Yamaha, a middle gear cover gasket, and might as well get a fresh crush washer for the bottom screw on the cover. If the plastic board is still OK, then it's just a matter of pulling the selector out and replacing the 'O' ring while hanging on the wiring.. Long needle nose.... If the board is broken it can be repaired. I remember one member backing it with an thin aluminum plate. Others have used plastic weld. It's best to try and repair while hanging, otherwise you'll need to unplug the part and get it out of there. The pig tail is about 14" long. I found an extra on Ebay for $5 bucks plus a couple of bucks shipping. I haven't seen any lately, but summers coming. Things will pick up. Hope this helps. And let me know if there's anything else I may have overlooked.