IGNORED

Seat Stud busted

Hmm I can JUST hear the puns now..

Bummer, whilst installing my seat, one of the bolts (studs) snapped off.. Impressive since I wasn't applying any torque to the wrench at all but it's busted so now the seat is attached to the bike via one single bolt / stud..

Is there a quick fix to this or what is involved in getting this repaired?

Cheers

I don't know about this one. there maybe a base that the seat is built upon. if so, you can dismantle and possibly get a new/used seat base.

I am just guessing here and thinking out loud. worse case - buy another seat - used or new.

I don't know about this one. there maybe a base that the seat is built upon. if so, you can dismantle and possibly get a new/used seat base.

I am just guessing here and thinking out loud. worse case - buy another seat - used or new.

But THIS seat fits my assets well and it's modded from TX =) I have a spare seat, also modded but not as comfy.. hence I don't wanna give it up lol..

hopefully a reasonable fix..

good point.

maybe do nuttin' like Wes did. use the one side for awhile and see what happens.

you could contact rick butler. i know a lot of folks talk very well of his seat work. i bet he can shed some insight.

Thanks M8.. both my seats are "butlerized" =) But I like one better than the other.. dunno why..

Remove it from the base and get a new post from hardware store or dealer and J B Weld it in. Then get wing nuts for both studs and 2 small pieces of plastic tubing to go o er the studs to prevent the wing nuts from vibrating o:big-grin-emoticon:ff. No wrench needed!

LOL I tried riding with the seat with one nut and ugh I can feel it shifting under me.. and I'm a "large' person.. go figure..

Good news, a local shop has fixed these before and I'll be able to put my spare seat on and get my comfy good happy seat repaired in the mean time..

w00t.

Those bolts are very easy to fix.

Step one is to use pliers or a small screwdriver to pull out a few staples from the seat cover around where the bolt was - just enough to pull the cover back and get your finger up over the top of the plastic pan. Now use a tape measure or piece of string to measure the distance from the top of that plastic block to the bottom of the old bolt. Go to Ace Hardware (ore some suitable substitute in the great frozen north) and buy a new bolt of the proper size. The best choice is a carriage bolt, since they have a square base that will bite into the plastic and keep it from turning.

Step two is to pick a drill bit as close as possible to the actual bolt size, then drill out the old bolt. Starting small would help ensure you don't slide off the bolt and drill to far to one side in the plastic. I had absolutely no problem with this step, and if it is just a bit off center, that won't be a problem.

Step 3 is to just use your finger tips, curved hemostat or offset needle-nose pliers to push that new bolt up into the seat foam far enough to get it down into the new hole you just drilled. If you didn't make the hole too big, you are all done except for replacing the staples. If the hole is a little sloppy so that the bolt has a tendency to push back up when you put the seat in place, you will need to smear the upper part of the bolt and the bolt head with something like silicone rubber and let it set up overnight before you mount the seat.

Enjoy the ride,

Goose

There are several options available to you. The bolts are very very soft. When I broke one off just like you I was not applying an pressure on it at all. I have to assume I applied to much pressure the last time I put the seat on. All I did was drill out the old bolt and re threaded the hole with a 1/4 - 20 tap (1/4 -28) would have been better but I didn't have a tap that size. I cut the head off a 1/4 -20 bolt and ran a nut over the end I cut off so that I could start in the the 1/4 - 20 hole in the seat. I put JB Weld in the hole and I threaded the 1/4 - 20 bolt into the hole. I then put a flat washer on so that the JB Weld held the washer up against the bottom (I don't remember why I used the washer I just remember I used it). I let it hardened and I put a 1/4 - 20 nylon washer on it so I wouldn't have to over tighten it again and it was fixed. If you want to put a mm bolt back in you can buy all the stuff in metric sizes and use the original size.

Also Rick (The Butt Butler) put a new metric bolt in when I sent him the see to have it redone. and lastly there is a thread either on this site or Venturers site that tells you how to fix it buy going into the side of the seat pan.

one of mine is gone and I don't even bother to put a nut on the other one. :smile5:

Ditto...Makes it easier to get to the battery etc. If your sitting on the seat where is it going to go. No one steals seats! Why go through the trouble of adding the nuts to it. Mine has been unbolted for over a year in the Houston area and I have never had an issue.

Move on to worry about what bolts are now loose and need tightening.

just my :2cents:

Ditto...Makes it easier to get to the battery etc. If your sitting on the seat where is it going to go. No one steals seats! Why go through the trouble of adding the nuts to it. Mine has been unbolted for over a year in the Houston area and I have never had an issue.

Move on to worry about what bolts are now loose and need tightening.

Problem with not tightening the seat down is that every time I shift in my seat I can feel the threads grinding and the seat shifting a bit. I find that annoying.

I'll try Goose's tip about getting a new bolt in there.. makes a lot of sense. I have the tapping tools, so why not..

Thanks guys