IGNORED

Poll on Metzler M880 Vs. Avon Venom

Smilerider

I would like to get a quick poll on the Metzler M880 and the Avon Venom. I have narrowed my choices to these tires and would like to get a count of how many use each. I know everyone has a favorite for different reasons, but since lots of you have used either one or both of these I would get some numbers on which you prefer. If you are interested in helping me make a decision and simple M or A would be great in your response. If you would also like to say the mileage you have gotten from the tire you selected that would also be helpful. Please just note whether it was a front or a rear.

Thanks for all the info so far and everyone's help...

JM:bagpipes-emoticon:

Edited by Smilerider

You will get a lot of different opinions. Most here would have chosen the Avon until recently when there have been a lot of reports of the sidewalls cracking. The majority of us would never use the Metzler due to a number of reports of them chunking tread.

I don't now how you came to your conclusions but there are two more that many here would recommend now above either of those two.

The Dunlop Elite 3

The Michelin Commander

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Well on my Honda Shadow I will swear by the Metzlers 880's. :thumbsup2:

But on the Venture I run Avons or Dunlop E-3's. To many bad reviews about the Metzlers coming apart on the Ventures from others that had them for me to take that big of a chance. :2cents:

Avon's have a sidewall cracking issue too. I have not had that problem,,,,YET.

Bryan

I have Metzler 880 now and my first choice was the Avon until I read all the cracking issues here. My Metzler are noisy in the curves. So after having run Elite 2's on my First Gen the past 13 years, so I'm sticking with Dunlop. This time it will be the E's, I ordered them from Jake Wilson. Total cost was $201.00 and took three days to get here....Both tires! :2cents:

OK, so the polling has started. Thanks so much for the information. I have been following the posts on here and that is where I came up with the two choices.. Depending on the numbers I may have to reconsider a few more.

Just a quick note on the Avons, there is a mail in rebate from 4/1-5/31 for $25 on each tire! In case you are going to purchase new ones!

BTW, not sure why my Title say "on Metzler M880 Vs. Avon Venom" Supposed to say "Poll on........

I chose the Avon's at 8000 miles, now Ive got 6000 miles on them and they still feel great. I did notice last time I had it on the lift for a wash and wax this weekend that there are little hair-line cracks on my front tire. I could only find them on the sidewall and only in a few places, couldn't find any on the rear. I am not too worried yet, as to how I store the bike,- it was stored in my heated garage (that i keep at 65) so I know it's not the cold concrete. unless they get a lot worse I would still buy another set of Avon's. Second choice will be the Dunlop's.

Freebird,

What are the mileages like on the other two that you have recommended? I have used Dunlop 404 in the past on another bike and was very disappointed in them.. I realize these are different tires, but wonder if they wear the same?? compound and such!

It varies a lot from one report to another. I would expect that most people could get 12,000-14,000 from the rear Michelin. I'm hearing reports of 15,000 and more on the Dunlop Elite 3. I'm never used the Dunlop. I had a Michelin that was about 12,000 when I took it off. I would have run it 2 or 3 thousand more but I was leaving for an extended trip that would have resulted in my likely needing a new one before getting back home.

From all that I've read here, I will likely be trying the Dunlop E3 next.

You will get a lot of different opinions. Most here would have chosen the Avon until recently when there have been a lot of reports of the sidewalls cracking. The majority of us would never use the Metzler due to a number of reports of them chunking tread.

I don't now how you came to your conclusions but there are two more that many here would recommend now above either of those two.

The Dunlop Elite 3

The Michelin Commander

Good luck with whatever you choose.

:sign yeah that:I have not ran either of the tires you mentioned for the reason Don mentioned. I have run both the Dunlop Elite 3's and the Michelin Commander's. Both are great tires and I am currently running both sets. The Michelin's are on my 2001 Venture and the E3's are on my 2000 Venture. I think the E3's handle a little better and in my opinion ride smoother than the Michelin's. I have not worn either tire out yet. They both look new to me. I have about 13,000 on my E3's right now and about 7,000 on the Michelin's. Someone at the Southeast Maintenance Day says he has over 40,000 on his E3's. That is unbelievable. I have heard quite a few people say they have over 20,000 on there E3's. The guy I bought my bike from says he only runs Michelin Commanders and he gets around 15,000 on his. As long as Dunlop doesn't have a quality issue develop on their E3's I will never put another brand of tire on my Ventures. I know this is not what you asked for but this is the best I could do.

Freebird,

What are the mileages like on the other two that you have recommended? I have used Dunlop 404 in the past on another bike and was very disappointed in them.. I realize these are different tires, but wonder if they wear the same?? compound and such!

Two totally different tires. Your trying to compare apples to oranges with these two choices. IMHO

Freebird,

Thank you for the info. I got just over 11,000-12,000 on rear my OEM Bridgestones..... So I put them back on. To my huge disappointment I got 2,500 on the next rear, and it was almost dead. After working with the dealer and Bridgestone, Bridgestone offered to replace the tire and I only had to cover the mounting. So, needless to say I put another back on and here i am about 4.000 miles later with another almost bald tire. So with that said, I guess I am a bit gun shy about the next tire I put on. I know I ride a little harder than others and that will account for some of the wear, but I am going broke from the replacements! LOL

Please explain what you mean? The more you can all teach me the better choice I feel I can make..

IMHO the Dunlop 404 is a better tire than the Bridgestone (you got more miles out of the Bridgestone than most). The 404 is not a bad tire but it is basically an entry level tire like the Bridgestone but with better handling and a little better tire wear mileage. I have never ran the 404's so I'm telling you what most people told me about the 404. It is basically and OEM type tire. You can expect about 13,000 to 15,000 on the rear. Handling better than the Bridgestone.

I was comparing the Avon's to the E3's before I bought my E3's. About 60% of the people I got feedback on chose the Avon's over the E3's but basicly everyone said they were both about equal tires. The Avon's were strating to get reports of sidewalls cracking and the E3's had no bad reports so I went with the E3's. If you go to the Dunlop website you can compare the 404's anf the E3's. The outside tire diameter the tread depth, etc. If I remember right I think the E3's have about 1/8" more tread depth than the 404's and I think that's why it gets so much better tire life. I talked to several VentureRiders at meet and eats that had over 18,000 mile on the rear and still going strong. The E3's look a lot like the Avon's and handle a lot like the Avon's from what I've been told. The E3's cost more than the 404's. A lot of people go with the 404's because they come in white walls and look good on Ventures. Some go with the price since they are cheaper than E3's. So IMHO trying to compare 404's (a good tire) with E3's (a great tire) is like comparing a Chevy Impala (a nice car) with a Chevy Corvette (a very nice car). I have talked 3 of my buddies into trying the E3's and they are all very very happy with them.

Yamadude,

Thanks for the continued posts.. I wasn't sure which posts of mine you were referring too... Now that I am clear it makes sense.. The 404 was just a past experience and not something i was actually looking for here. As the post started out, I was looking at the Avon and Metzler.. However I am now considering the E3. With all your help I am hoping to find the best handling, best mileage tire I can.. That is why I always come here! It is amazing all the knowledge and real life experience everyone has...

Thanks again!

I don't think you can go wrong with the E3's. Of course I'm sure someone out there has had a bad experience with E3's I just have never heard of it. I was the first of our group to try E3's and now 4 of us ride them. Good luck with whatever you end up with.

Harry

well, i will toss my .02$ in here also.

i ride an average of 23000 mile per year here in the land of ice and snow, and thats just the rsv miles and not any of the enduro's

my experience as follows

brickstones=4000 miles= several sets on new bikes = junk

metzler marathons= 8000 miles and cracking with fear of chunking = junk

avon venom=2600 miles in 4 days and a blowout! =junk/fear of death = junkjunk

michelin comanders=13000 miles average several sets love them = quality tire

dunlop e3 = installed last week 600 miles and great so far+ = time will tell

my dealership made me an offer to be the"guinea pig" for a set of e3's and at a price that i could not pass up, or i would still be on the michelins.

and as i have said before, if a tire is junk, i don't want another one for free, or for me paying to install or any of that crap. if its junk, i don't want another, not even if you pay me to take it.

mike

I have way over 100000 miles experience on Gen 1's with Metzlers. I was a beta tester for the ME880's way back when. They handle great wet or dry conditions. I run them through the twisties all the way to the edges and they don't slip. I get about 12000 miles on a set. They are the only ones for me on a Gen 1. BUT.......different bikes like different tires. On my Suzuki RF900R I had Dunlop D220's. On my TDM I have Michelin Active.

As it stands now E3s..I love Avons but with the cracking sidewall issue Ill run the E3s until Avon resolves the issue..Metzler no way form or fashion..many threads here warning against them,yes a few have had good luck but at 1700 miles rubber started chunking off my rear tire so I threw them away. My E3s are about 6000 miles and no wear to speak of

Ok now I have a question. Last year I put a new 404 on the front of my bike. Was going to order a new 404 for the rear this summer. But with all the talk about the E3 could I put an E3 on the back and keep the 404 on the front?? Would this affect handling?

You can..I dont know if you all have the "ruts" in the road like we do down here but one thing you will really notice with either the E3 or Avon is it handles wayyy better than the 404s in those ruts. i can literally let go of the bars and it steers straight thru with no following of the ruts