IGNORED

Installed Leveling Links - Wow - a new bike

if you remove the top bolt first the swing arm will rise enough that the carbon one does not have to come off. did a vmax rear exchange last weekend and with the rear tire off the links were easy. didnt remove adaptor as i had it standing on the legs it came with:scared:

Hey- Freebird's article says holes 6 5/8 apart OC... this the right distance for leveling links?? In the pic at the end of FB's article, the links looked the same size. Are the Diamond R links holes the same distance apart?

I also saw some premade links at the local bike shop for only $50... Really nice looking, chromed. If I can't get in touch with my machining buddy, I may just grab those since I'm taking the tires off this weekend.

The dimensions in the write-up are correct. Lay them beside the stock links and they will look almost the same. I don't remember now but there is only a fraction difference in the stock and the raising links. Diamond R I think uses the same dimension. This item was originally developed by Rick Butler and after he saw how great they worked, he gave the idea and measurements to Diamond R. They are great folks to deal with if you don't end up making your own.

As for what you saw in a bike shop? I have no idea what they would be or how they would measure. I've never seen another company making them. Are you SURE that they were to RAISE the rear? Baron's makes a kit but it lowers the rear.

I ordered the level links today, but I was wondering about the 130 front tire being squirrelly, Like some people were saying. So I checked the tire sizes for other touring bikes and they all use the 130's on the front. So there must be something to it. I would appreciate any opinions on this.:confused07:

I have run the 130 on my 2nd '99 and I found that at certain times a good cross wind will blow the bike around more. My personal set up, that worked best for me as far as feel and performance has been the level links and the stock 150 size front tire. You get the same effect as the 130 tire as far as numbleness, but have more meat on the front tire to handle wind a bit better. This was my experience with running across the country with a 130 on the front through some wind prone states.

I notice your in Montgomery, there's quite a few of us in the greater Houston area. Hopefully we'll get hooked up with you at an event soon :thumbsup2:

Hey- Freebird's article says holes 6 5/8 apart OC... this the right distance for leveling links?? In the pic at the end of FB's article, the links looked the same size. Are the Diamond R links holes the same distance apart?

I also saw some premade links at the local bike shop for only $50... Really nice looking, chromed. If I can't get in touch with my machining buddy, I may just grab those since I'm taking the tires off this weekend.

I recently replaced mine and when I layed them side by side thought they were the same, but on further inspection the Diamond R ones are about a 1/4" shorter. Quite surprised at what a difference it made. And you DO NOT have to remove anything to install them, just lift the bike slightly on a jack to relieve pressure on the shock.

I'll try to post a pic later, since I took one with my phone... Here's my best ASCII rendition:

(O====== OOO)

So it was a "racing link" with a hole at one end, and then three holes at the other end. They have multiple sizes. one end has one hole, but then the other end has 3 holes to "Tune" the suspension. I figured if one of them happens to be 6 3/8 OC, I might just grab 'em. They were chromed and only around $50.

I'll frankly probably end up having my friend machine them for me, or just getting the Diamond R's- but I was curious when I saw those "tunable" racing links.

The dimensions in the write-up are correct. Lay them beside the stock links and they will look almost the same. I don't remember now but there is only a fraction difference in the stock and the raising links. Diamond R I think uses the same dimension. This item was originally developed by Rick Butler and after he saw how great they worked, he gave the idea and measurements to Diamond R. They are great folks to deal with if you don't end up making your own.

As for what you saw in a bike shop? I have no idea what they would be or how they would measure. I've never seen another company making them. Are you SURE that they were to RAISE the rear? Baron's makes a kit but it lowers the rear.

I don't have a bike lift but I was wondering, is there a way to put the links on by using a bottle jack? I would strap the front of the bike so it didn't fall over. I think I would like to try the leveling links but have no room for a bike lift. What do ya think?:puzzled:

I don't have a bike lift but I was wondering, is there a way to put the links on by using a bottle jack? I would strap the front of the bike so it didn't fall over. I think I would like to try the leveling links but have no room for a bike lift. What do ya think?:puzzled:

all you have to do is lift the bike enough to get the tension off of the bolts, should be doable

I notice your in Montgomery, there's quite a few of us in the greater Houston area. Hopefully we'll get hooked up with you at an event soon :thumbsup2:

I'd love to do that. I usually ride with a friend that has a goldwing, and sometimes we ride up to Yankees in Carlos, There will be 200 bikes there and I am the only one with a Venture.

I also wanted to ask you if you would recommend anybody in our area to install the links.

I got them from Diamond R on Saturday.

I appreciate your input.:thumbsup2:

I'd love to do that. I usually ride with a friend that has a goldwing, and sometimes we ride up to Yankees in Carlos, There will be 200 bikes there and I am the only one with a Venture.

I also wanted to ask you if you would recommend anybody in our area to install the links.

I got them from Diamond R on Saturday.

I appreciate your input.:thumbsup2:

If you have a friend who is 1/2 way mechanical they should be able to install them. It is quite simple and it will make a big difference in how your bike handles. Good luck!

Thanks, I know a mechanic, he just hasn't done the links before. It'll probably be pretty easy for him to do. What sort of time should I expect to pay for? about an hour?

Seriously, it takes 15 minutes at most, that's if you have to look for tools. There are two nuts to be loosened, you remove the old link and bolt, insert new, tighten, done. Very very easy.

I've been following this thread regarding leveling links. I never heard of them but couldn't ignore the many testimonials to their worthiness. I've ridden 1st gens for about 20 years and just recently purchased a new '09 RSV. That was the first thing I noticed with my new bike was the awkwardness in turns and at low speeds.

After reading this thread I went out to my bike to look for those links which I quickly found. It looks real simple to remove and replace the links and to make them as well. A couple of metal straps and a drill should do it which kind of bothers me. Many a time when I thought something to be simple or easy its turned into a nightmare, but this MAY be different...Tomorrow I'm off to buy the metal straps and I'll report back on how it went..

The opening title to this thread pretty much says it all..Installed leveling links....WOW, a new bike..

I went to Home Depot and bought a 36" piece of 1 1/4W X 1/4 thick steel for $7.48. My retired neighbor used to build race engines and has every tool imaginable..When I told him what I was trying to do he was only too eager to help..After we cut the strap into two 7 15/16 pieces the rest was easy..( I have enough steel left over to do another set ) A couple of clamps, some measurement markings, a drill press and viola, it was done. I painted the two new links and when they dried I stuck them in. I had a little trouble getting the old bolts out and the new ones in but not that big a deal. I didn't remove any valves or tire and it was still easy to install..Getting the nut back on the upper bolt was the toughest challenge but after a few cuss words it threaded..

I took the bike out for a test run and the difference is noticeable immediately...I'm with all the other testimonials, it makes steering a lot lot easier, especially a low speeds and in the twisties..

After many hours of "thread" time reading the pro's and con's of which ever, lower the front,,,raise the back, a Butler seat mod, a 130 vs. a stock 150 front tire I finally caved in. Being a metal artist with all the tools one could imagine, I decided to pop out a set of leveling links according to the posted measurements. Took all of 20 minutes to make a set and another 30 to install em, (first time and I'm slow),,,,,results,,,,,,,well,,,,,an improvement of over 50% in handling,,,,,,,Thank Rick ! My ho,,,,,I'm leaving them on ! Anybody with a hacksaw, drill press and grinder can do these in just a matter of minutes! Total cost of materials about $3.00............................What can I say?

Renne......slow speed "smil'in".........:12101: