IGNORED

Installed Leveling Links - Wow - a new bike

I installed leveling links on my RSV today and immediately felt like I was riding a new bike. I can't believe how much easier it is to handle. Two things: I felt more air as I was sitting up higher and looking over the windshield - and I used my Carbon One adapter and couldn't take the bolt out so I had to lower the bike and just use the jack. If you haven't installed the links you are missing a great ride!

Leveling links.. the ONE mod everyone should be doing to their RSV.. its one of those mods you can do easily yourself and which you get the most tangible return for it.. you can actually feel it.. =)

I installed so many of them already, it's fun to see people's faces light up when they go for that initial ride hehe

I am short legged and have enough trouble pushing the bike back with my short legs. I hear it raises the bike which will put me more on my toes.

We inseam challenged (27") folks have an option to get the same results. Lower the front end by an inch. It is a relatively simple thing to do, although it is labor intensive. With the proper help (Squidley, Gunboat, Donde and some others) it only takes about 3 hours.:thumbsup:

For me it feels like riding the rear wheel up a 3/4 inch sheet of plywood (some say it feels higher) but remember, that's at the rear wheel which makes it feel less at the saddle to feet location.

Its that simple of an install, that if you absolutely don't like it or can't handle the height difference, you can just as quickly swap it back.

I have a 30" inseam and have NO probs. The bike is that much easier to handle that you don't have as much top end heavy feelings to worry about. You don't seem to need to lean your bike out as far when you come to a stop and put your left foot down..

Give it a try.. it might take a few minutes to get used to but man, well worth it.

where does one get these magical "leveling links???"

I'd love to have her be a tad more nimble- especially at slower speeds. At 6' another inch high won't bother me at all.

Diamondr has them. About 90 bucks but well worth it. DiamondR is one of our vendors.

I just ordered a Works Shock ($700.00USD thank you very much), is there any reason the leveling links won't work with that shock?

what does this shock do for the bike...or is it a replacement part?

Edited by Aimhigh

I've been running the leveling links and a Works Performance shock for three seasons now. No issues. Bike handles great - as you know the Works shock is a high performance shock that is custom set for you based on information you provide (for spring rates, valving, etc). Great combination. So much so that I've not gone to the smaller front tire. I don't want to risk giving up stability at highway speeds that some have mentioned with the smaller diameter front tire.

kelly

Putting slightly shorter struts on the rear shock (sold by DiamondR as Leveling Links) raise the rear of the bike 1", thus changing the rake of the forks and slightly shortening the trail. The changes to the steering geometry make the bike handle much snappier at slow speeds. As an added benefit, the raised rear end makes the bike look better (at least to me), increases cornering clearance on the mufflers, and makes it more comfortable for riders who are not midgets (in my book, a midget is anybody under 5'5"!).

Goose

When I did mine - all I did was jack up the bike, removed were the two bolts, installed links, and that was it. I did have to take off the Carbon One adapter as I couldn't get one of the bolts out with the adapter under the bike. No real problem. It is a pretty easy mod and worth its weight in gold.

When I did mine - all I did was jack up the bike, removed were the two bolts, installed links, and that was it. I did have to take off the Carbon One adapter as I couldn't get one of the bolts out with the adapter under the bike. No real problem. It is a pretty easy mod and worth its weight in gold.

I managed to do six leveling links installs last year without having to take the adapter off to access the bolts.. Hmm might have been easier but we were able to play the jack gently to take the strain off the bolts to remove them and the sleeves.. a nice coating of Honda60 lube and poof.. new bike.

• 1 month later...

I ordered the level links today, but I was wondering about the 130 front tire being squirrelly, Like some people were saying. So I checked the tire sizes for other touring bikes and they all use the 130's on the front. So there must be something to it. I would appreciate any opinions on this.:confused07:

I ordered the level links today, but I was wondering about the 130 front tire being squirrelly, Like some people were saying. So I checked the tire sizes for other touring bikes and they all use the 130's on the front. So there must be something to it. I would appreciate any opinions on this.:confused07:

I have a 130 E-III Dunlop on the front and will not go back to a 150, even if you GAVE me the 150 + some $$$! Hope that answered your question?

Bryan