IGNORED

This is weird ...Did sync on the carbs and guess what I found

E-Fishin-C

Explain this one

I contacted the previous owner..... When I took off one of the Vacuum house I found a ball bearing lodged in the tube(photos) The reason he gave me was that the bike was back firing and the Yamaha mechanics shoved a ball bearing in it resulted no more back firing

I removed the ball bearing ( im not a mechanic but I find that this is wrong) The right side now is backfring.. Any suggestion what to do?

Edited by E-Fishin-C

Whether it is in or out should make absolutely NO difference in how it runs. All that hose does is allows the AIS system to work. It has no affect on the performance. If you are backfiring with it out then the carbs are NOT synced correctly or you have something else wrong that is causing the backfiring. You can enable, disable or completely remove the AIS system and it won't change the performance of the bike.

Oh , you finally found your bearings . Now for the missing link ................:nanner:

I've used BB's to block vacuum hose in my older trucks for the EGR valves . Kept them puppies form robbing HP and saved fuel . Had to keep the EGR pumps on the truck for Emissions Inspections .

BEER30

The AIS is a simple siphon system that siphons air into the exhaust to reduce emissions. It has a couple of 'reed valves' (one way valves) to prevent exhaust pressure from being pushed back into the AIS system during exhaust pressure pulses such as on acceleration or cruise. It also has a vacuum sensing 'air cutoff valve' that shuts down the AIS during deceleration, high vacuum, to prevent backfiring. A faulty reed valve can cause system melt down from exhaust heat being pushed into the system. A faulty air cutoff valve or vacuum line to the valve can cause backfiring during deceleration.

Just a note here backfiring occurs in the intake manifold. The exhaust popping is from after burning. So you will see it referred to as 'after burning' in the service manual.

Carb Sync is needed, and it should not backfire, unless your high in mountains.

But that Backfire will keep you awake. I would also check to make sure the choke is working properly, if does not open all the way it will backfire.

Brad

Guest HotMech

I find it most agravating, that the answer to an emisson reduction system failure is to defeat it. Ya it might cost a few bucks, but if you don't repair it to oe standards, you are just adding more polution to the air I have to breathe too. Thanks:clap2:

I find it most agravating, that the answer to an emisson reduction system failure is to defeat it. Ya it might cost a few bucks, but if you don't repair it to oe standards, you are just adding more polution to the air I have to breathe too. Thanks:clap2:

Do you understand that this "pollution control device" really doesn’t reduce the pollution? :stickpoke: The major reason to pump air into the exhaust on our motors is to dilute the exhaust with clean air thereby reducing the perceived emissions.

Besides, E-Fishen-C lives in Canada so he’s unlikely to pollute your less then pristine Colorado air.

I had an 1100 V-Star a couple years ago and it popped/backfired between shifting and on deceleration. The mechanic at our local Yamaha shop fixed it with a ball bearing, didn't even charge me. Matter of fact, we talked about it and he walked out to the bike in the lot and fixed it there.

An insult, instead of an explanation of why you disagree, shows more ignorance... in MY opinion.

My understanding of it is the system injects air into the engine's exhaust, providing oxygen to burn unburned hydrocarbons in the exhaust. So it does reduce the hydrocarbons that leave your tailpipe. I couldn't care less if it helps of not but I think that is what it is supposed to do.

My understanding of it is the system injects air into the engine's exhaust, providing oxygen to burn unburned hydrocarbons in the exhaust. So it does reduce the hydrocarbons that leave your tailpipe. I couldn't care less if it helps of not but I think that is what it is supposed to do.

This is supposedly what it does....But, as most greenhead EPA solutions, I believe it is mostly smoke and mirrors..... It dilutes the pollution that can be sensed at the pipe but can't possibly help burn the excess hydrocarbons since the temperatures in the exhaust are insufficient.

Sorry, but the system does reduce emissions. Excess hydrocarbons are burned in the exhaust not just diluted. The cool part about this system is there is no cost in horsepower. Repairing the system should be relatively easy. The excessive popping in the exhaust is caused when an overly rich fuel mixture or sudden surge of hydrocarbon (gasoline) meets up with air in a hot exhaust. Deceleration causes a momentary surge of unburned fuel in the exhaust. More than the system is normally designed to handle. Enough that it could cause damage when combined with air and ignited by the heat of the exhaust. That is why the system switches off during deceleration. During normal cruise operation the AIS can reduce hydrocarbon by as much as 80%. Sometimes even more. A dyno and a gas analyzer can show this up very quickly for those who don't believe in it. Again the best part is there is no loss in horsepower.

Mike