IGNORED

New Automatic Honda

Freebird

Take a look at this link for a new automatic transmission Honda that was supposed to be on the market in October, don't know if it was released or not. Pretty cool idea as automatics go. It gives you too automatic modes and a 6 speed manual shift mode.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-news/2008-honda-motorcycles/

Also, scroll down that page and take a look at the awesome looking 6 cylinder sport bike...concept.

I agree...would be interesting to see how it really works. I'm not a big fan of automatic trannies for motorcycles, shifting is half the fun for me. I'm sure that in the manual mode, you are just shifting but no clutch. Might be kind of cool. Not sure I would ever want one though.

"One of HONDA'S most radical departures from the orthodox motorcycle design, the HONDAMATIC was produced in 400, 450 and 750 cc capacities. The most prevalent model was the CB750A. Introduced in 1976, the CB750A continued in production until 1978."

I wrenched one of these bikes for a friend of mine for a couple years. Thank GOD nothing ever went hay-wire with that transmission!!!!

:sick::sick:

This new auto transmission is a whole new breed... Just like the "Boomers" that are all of a sudden becoming "Motorcycle Riders" !!!

:crying::crying::crying: Some of us have been riding over 40 years. Don't guess we fall into quite the same category.... :whistling::whistling: Wouldn't surprise me to see Honda sell several of these. Especially since it will retain the ability to be shifted manually... :smile5::smile5:

redneck , i cought that too , than it said it had cylinders in it , so much hyd. pressure and a cyl. moves to allow more pres. it doe's that 6 times . or it is like having 6 dif. pressure relief valves , each valve set at a dif. pressure . shifting a hydro stat :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Guest Vermincelli

omg, looking at that DN-01

does anyone else see what a 1st gen Venture would look like if built today???

As for the auto, mixed here. I own of those Hondamatic 400's. My biggest complaint has been that it needs at least a 3rd and maybe a 4th. Having 6 might be fun.

Guest KitCarson

"One of HONDA'S most radical departures from the orthodox motorcycle design, the HONDAMATIC was produced in 400, 450 and 750 cc capacities. The most prevalent model was the CB750A. Introduced in 1976, the CB750A continued in production until 1978."

I wrenched one of these bikes for a friend of mine for a couple years. Thank GOD nothing ever went hay-wire with that transmission!!!!

:sick::sick:

This new auto transmission is a whole new breed... Just like the "Boomers" that are all of a sudden becoming "Motorcycle Riders" !!!

:crying::crying::crying: Some of us have been riding over 40 years. Don't guess we fall into quite the same category.... :whistling::whistling: Wouldn't surprise me to see Honda sell several of these. Especially since it will retain the ability to be shifted manually... :smile5::smile5:

When I went upstate and picked up my new venture, they wanted to show me all about the radio and tape deck........I told them , you only need to do one thing with that......Make sure it is off and will not come on!! Also a little leery of the cruise control........have tried it a time or two.....suppose I do not like the idea of that on a bike either...yes my hand will get tired on a long ride........if so.......time for a break.....as for a auto Tranny..........no way!! I think 50 percent of the fun of riding a bike is shifting..........either powering one up and zipping around a vehicle, or better yet go for a ride in the mountains of North Carolina or Virginia.....all those curves and hills........I never use the brake, I use the motor and the gears........such fun to listen to the motor and the pipes.........no new things are nice to look at sometimes, and wonder about how they work....but do not think I would like an auto shifter. Would not be a bike.

Kit

We were all grumbling when Yamaha failed to upgrade and "modernize" the RSV for 2008. Look at what Honda is doing now... an AIR BAG for the Goldwing!!!

That's it then...Yamaha is waiting for that technology to "catch on" and then we'll see a new RSV with front, rear & side air bags, anti-rollover, and a 6 cassette surround sound system with a high output grammaphyncal anti-woofenbacher!

:sign20:

I would take a CVT attached to a small diesel engine for a commuter bike, something that gets about 150mpg and has 10-20Hp.

Other than than, shifting is half the fun. I do not own an automatic transmission vehicle. IF I can help it, I will never own another automatic trans vehicle.