IGNORED

Headlight protection

Gary N.

Why not just buy a cheap roll of that 8in to 12 in shrink wrap on a small roll that is used in warehouses etc. Ive used it on the front of my G1 in bug season and it works well, you just peel it off when you get into a town and youre clean. it would give a bit of stone and chip protection, probably as much as that 3m stuff.

Brian

If you are riding the scoot all the way up the ALCAN , I would think about covering everything . Now it has been 16 years since I last been down the ALCAN , but that soot from the road is like concrete when it dries . It's a bear to scrub off , so wash the scoot as soon as possible . Last time I traveled , the roads were good , except when they rip up a 50 mile stretch at a time in many places . I would get a Bra set for the upper and lowers and a lens cover . I have seen cages and bikes with wire mesh screens mounted on the front for gravel. Like I said , it has been some time since I travel . All together I have made 7 trips up and down the ALCAN . The Cassiar Highway is also nice except certain road construction .

HAVE FUN !

BEER30

I have used the wrapping stuff to protect from bugs, but for chips from rocks and such, you need something thicker. I think the article mentioned went over the thicknesses, but to protect glass or headlights, get the thicker stuff. For paint it can be thinner, but it won't protect from big rocks. Of course even the thick stuff won't protect from a brick! :)

If you want to really protect the bike, then cover as much as possible and put shielding on metal parts that you don't want dented. May not be pretty, but when you get done, you can remove it all, and the bike may not be torn up much.

If you are riding the scoot all the way up the ALCAN , I would think about covering everything . Now it has been 16 years since I last been down the ALCAN , but that soot from the road is like concrete when it dries . It's a bear to scrub off , so wash the scoot as soon as possible . Last time I traveled , the roads were good , except when they rip up a 50 mile stretch at a time in many places . I would get a Bra set for the upper and lowers and a lens cover . I have seen cages and bikes with wire mesh screens mounted on the front for gravel. Like I said , it has been some time since I travel . All together I have made 7 trips up and down the ALCAN . The Cassiar Highway is also nice except certain road construction .

HAVE FUN !

BEER30

Gene, we're taking the Shuttle as far as Edmonton and then riding from there. Sent you a PM re: Bra Set.

hi gary & mary

my buddy has a bmw 1100 rt and he has a plexiglass headlight cover that's attached by 4 round velcro buttons. that are the size of a u.s. penny. protects the glass but is easy to remove. it's probley a beemer product but i don't know why someone couldn't make one.

reguards

don c.

I just searched for "Alaska" to see who's coming up this summer and ran across this post. Here is what you need:

http://www.ventura-mca.com/products/lightguard.aspx

It is a round plexiglass light guard that attaches with a few pieces of velcro. Mines been on for years. I bought 2 (just in case). You need their Part No. VP113. The Venture is not listed (last I knew) but this is the part you need. It is the same part for the Buell Blast Y, Suzuki M50 Boulevard and many others. I think the cost was about $20.

A friend went down the Alcan last year and I recommended this to him. After ignoring my recommendation he emailed me from the states asking where he might buy a cheap headlight. Haha. There are no cheap headlights. Good luck.

When do you come up? What is your itinerary? my STAR group has rides around the area scheduled www.anchorage299.com.

Dan

I just searched for "Alaska" to see who's coming up this summer and ran across this post. Here is what you need:

http://www.ventura-mca.com/products/lightguard.aspx

It is a round plexiglass light guard that attaches with a few pieces of velcro. Mines been on for years. I bought 2 (just in case). You need their Part No. VP113. The Venture is not listed (last I knew) but this is the part you need. It is the same part for the Buell Blast Y, Suzuki M50 Boulevard and many others. I think the cost was about $20.

A friend went down the Alcan last year and I recommended this to him. After ignoring my recommendation he emailed me from the states asking where he might buy a cheap headlight. Haha. There are no cheap headlights. Good luck.

When do you come up? What is your itinerary? my STAR group has rides around the area scheduled www.anchorage299.com.

Dan

Dan, thanks for the tip and the link. We'll be on the ferry from Prince Ruppert to Juneau on June 20. After that who knows? I'll take a closer look at your ride schedule.

Where are you getting off the ferry after Juneau - Haines or Whittier?

We where planning on going to Haines after Juneau. Some friends where over the other night and said how much they enjoyed Skagway so I'll have to look into maybe going there too.

This company makes a molded lexan headlight cover that attaches with Velcro buttons. A little pricey and looks ugly but should work.

http://www.aeroflowscreens.com/YamahaHLC.htm

I have a headlight protector that velcro's on...and would highly recommend it for long trips. Cheaper than replacing the headlight!!

Don't know if it's any help but got mine from

http://www.amhp.com.au

• 3 weeks later...
Hey Gary, Regina is right on the Trans-Canada if its on your way and you want a coffee or a sofa to sleep on, give me a call.

Brian

Thanks Brian, I haven't planned the route out to Edmonton yet but I'll keep you in mind. We'll be leaving the first week of June sometime. Driving the Space Shuttle to Edmonton then hopping on the bike.