IGNORED

Test Ride My Venture ?

JimGarner

Any Venture owners live in the Knoxville/Maryville TN area? If so, would you be interested in test riding my Venture for me? I have an 08 and I'm concerned about the way it is running. Thought maybe some of you experts may live close enough to give me your opinion or at least make a comparison to your Venture. Seems like when its under a load it feels like the pulse of a v-twin. I thought it would be smoother than it is. I've synched the carbs, put new plugs in it and used the seafoam. The Dealer said it was fine but I would like a second opinion.

Thanks

Ride safe

Jim Garner

Any Venture owners live in the Knoxville/Maryville TN area? If so, would you be interested in test riding my Venture for me? I have an 08 and I'm concerned about the way it is running. Thought maybe some of you experts may live close enough to give me your opinion or at least make a comparison to your Venture. Seems like when its under a load it feels like the pulse of a v-twin. I thought it would be smoother than it is. I've synched the carbs, put new plugs in it and used the seafoam. The Dealer said it was fine but I would like a second opinion.

Thanks

Ride safe

Jim Garner

Sounds like you may be lugging it! Define "under load" speed and gear. If you are expecting one of the bikes to accelerate under 60 in 5th gear, expect "pulses". At that speed you are only about 2/3s through 3rd gear's capability. Wind it up and see if you get a different feel. You can ride one of the v4s like you stole it and not hurt it!

Guest scarylarry
Sounds like you may be lugging it! Define "under load" speed and gear. If you are expecting one of the bikes to accelerate under 60 in 5th gear, expect "pulses". At that speed you are only about 2/3s through 3rd gear's capability. Wind it up and see if you get a different feel. You can ride one of the v4s like you stole it and not hurt it!

Only time I hit 5th gear is on the interstate and doing 65+... In town "Nashville" I run in 3rd most of the time and do hit 4th every so often, like one other poster said they love to be wind up, I just came off V-star with EFI and it was a shock at first, but you get use to opening it up..

Of course no tach so I don't know what its turning when I experience the "pulse" feel. I may be going to slow for fifth gear. I've had v-twins, inline 4s and one v4 before a honda magna. Only the v-twins would shake like my Venture does. It sounds like its winding tight and needs to go into 5th. I guess I just don't like pushing one hard. Even at the 60/65 mph mark if I open the throttle up it chugs until I back off the throttle. I guess I just need to get used to it and learn to like it.

I read before on this forum about keeping the revs up. Actually the day I bought the bike there was a gentleman looking at my purchase. He walked up to me and said he had one and loved it, just ride it like you stole it. I said ok and went on my way. I understand what he was talking about now.

Thanks for the advice,

Jim Garner

It sounds like my 2005 when it had a bad #3 plug wire. Just didn't run like my 99 did. I changed both rear wires and it runs great now and thats with the extra weught of the sidecar.

Before I changed the wires if I put it in 5th gear at 70 it just didn't take the gas without a shutter. Since the wires i can drop it in 5th at 60 and its nice and smooth.

Guest scarylarry

Take it to another dealer, and let them look at it...Sounds like to me u might need to open it some...........I'm no expert, but hey I will ride with ya sometime in the hills...

Take it to another dealer, and let them look at it...Sounds like to me u might need to open it some...........I'm no expert, but hey I will ride with ya sometime in the hills...

Next time you're over here in these hills, look me up. We'll ride!

Jim Garner

Edited by JimGarner

Guest scarylarry

There is a M&E this weekend in Ga. you going???

It is on the calendar me Double D are heading down and will be close to you if like ride along...

There is a M&E this weekend in Ga. you going???

It is on the calendar me Double D are heading down and will be close to you if like ride along...

Love to but headin' out on a cruise this weekend. And not on a motorcycle.:banana:

First cruise I've ever went on. You all have fun and be safe goin' down and coming back.

I want to go to a M&E soon. Riding season has just started good!

Jim garner

Guest scarylarry

There will be many more this year, keep your eye on the calendar..

Next few weekends are plan out but hey give me about 3 weeks and I'll ride your way.

Would tell ya ride here but u know Nashville there isn't zip here for riding, unless it is dairy queen..LOL

" Missionary Rider

Hit the limiter and you'll get the idea

Find a good straight-a-way from a stop sign and wind it in third gear until you feel it "sag." That's the rev limiter. You won't hurt it - though you might be shocked how fast it will run in third gear. That will give you an idea of what "Wind it" means. "

:scared:

Ditto, Rev'd mine out in 2nd yesterday @ 67 mph, bags loaded and 230 lbs.

Jim, I would love to meet up with you, but it would probably scare the heck out of you how some of us ride these 1st gens. 8,000rpm's is a pretty routine thing on my bike and it has over 130,000 miles on it, and I have put on over 107,000 of these miles. It just seems like me and the bike love it.

RandyA

Here's about where to shift unless you are pushing it, heavily loaded, or going up a steep hill, in which case add 5-10mph to each shift point.

1-->2 15mph

2-->3 30mph

3-->4 45mph

4-->5 65mph

somewhere on this forum there is a chart showing the rpm in each gear, and the redline for each gear. 3,000 rpm seems to be the sweet spot.

1-->2 15mph

2-->3 30mph

3-->4 45mph

4-->5 65mph

3,000 rpm seems to be the sweet spot.

Your lugging your engine if you shifting that early. 4th at 70 is a sweet spot. Bike is smooth and still pllenty of throttle left to get outta the way. Try it. You can take 4th and just about bury the speedo with it.

file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Buddy/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png

Your lugging your engine if you shifting that early. 4th at 70 is a sweet spot. Bike is smooth and still pllenty of throttle left to get outta the way. Try it. You can take 4th and just about bury the speedo with it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think the chart is conservative. when wanting to, i stretch that chart like many folks here do. If i have long flat runs, i will use 5th at 65 just for cruisin and gas savings. other than that i won't hit 5th till after 70. these comments are for one up. 2 up is different. we need the rev's up.

15 to go to second, wow, that is slooooooooooow. Mine chugs and gets itchy at that speed. It screams WIND ME UP WIMP!!!! :big-grin-emoticon:

I have two Ventures and one of them tends to buck in fifth pretty bad if your going under 65 and give it the throttle. The other doesn't buck as bad just a little shimmy. My bikes sound like I'm really putting on the RPM's but if I keep accelerating the RPM's seem to settle down with the sound of the engine (if that makes any since). I know that 80 in third is not to much. I've done 100 in forth without hitting the rev limiter. Like they said before "ride it like you stole it" and see if you like it any better.

Harry

Oh and enjoy your cruise. My wife and I go on one every year since we took our first one. I love it.

I just don't buy the 5th gear is for 65+. OK, IF you want near full throttle acceleration, or are hauling a full load up a hill.... ok, but otherwise, I am in 5th a lot running 40-50 or so, as long as I am just puttin' along and the engine is happy.

Rpm's are well above 2500 or so, and you won't lug any engine with that many revs. To truly lug an engine, you need to be down near 1500 or less and give it a lot of throttle.

I have ridden new 6 speed Harley's and many of those owners say never use 6th till over 70! I ran the bike in the 50's and it was just fine, no excessive shake, and no lugging, again, to lug you need very low rev's, and if you drive in whatever the top gear is with reasonable throttle, you won't hurt anything, and you will get better MPG.

Revving high every shift may be fun, but it becomes tiresome for me on most trips, and expensive as the MPG drops a lot!

But each to his or her own.

I've done 100 in forth without hitting the rev limiter.

Harry

and you will NEVER hit the rev limiter in 4th. I'm topped mine out in 5th gear and then downshifted to 4th and picked up more speed. These bikes will actually run faster in 4th than they will in 5th.

One note: That was before I installed the VMAX rear. Haven't tried to see if it will hit the rev limiter in 4th since that change.