Rear Tire: Kumho Powerstar 758 165/80R-15

Max pressure: 44

Set pressure: 42

Hands free test at 75mph: no wobble

(had wobble with OEM Dunlop)

Accelerate from 70 to 90 on hill curving to left with 10 degree rise test:

wobble... Oh Sweet Jesus wobble!

Now I plan on breaking the tire in for 1000 miles & then retesting before trying different things.

johnb

Edited by First_N_Last

2009 RSV

Mileage: 12060

Rear Shock Pressure: 30

Front Shock Pressure: 5

Front Tire: Pirelli MT66Route 150/80B-16 - Rear Tire mounted reverse

Date code: 3709

Max pressure: 42

Set pressure: 40

Set pressure: 40

No wobble - 2 up

90mph straight road test - 2 up no wobble (would have been faster, but rapidly succeeding head slaps from the pillion were giving me a headache)

Hope to test again tomorrow, solo.

OK, I reduce the air in rear shocks to 25lbs, all other stats are as previously reported. Got her up to 95 mph solo and could not tell if I really had a wobble or not. If I did it had to be very slight. Bad weather rolling in for this weekend so it may be a couple of more weeks before I can give a more definitive report.

I must say, the Pirelli is doing a super job.

:thumbsup2:

I currently have a worn OEM Dunlop on the front & am looking for a better replacement.

A Pirelli rear reversed on the front? Have many done that & been happy?

i have been running metme880s for 70,000 miles was getting 8000 on front but the last time i put a me880 rear reversed on front i now have 30,000 on it with no ill efects even in the rain a little cuping but thats nom still have 6mm of tread left

Well I have been having thoughts on wobble at 85 & acceleration to 95. I developed a theory that aerodynamics may be the controlling factor. At my last meetup I noticed that my Venture had a much shorter/wider windshield than the other 33 Ventures there.

To prove my theory, the best way would to buy & install a stock tall windshield. My problem with that is lack of money to buy it. I had to come up with a different method of testing. With the same height windshield, all I could do is lower my body height to below the height of the windshield I have... so I tucked my body down close to the tank like a sport bike rider & cranked the gas.

There was no wobble. I think I have found the problem with my bike. The custom short windshield seems to enable the wobble with me sitting tall in the seat.

Other than that, I now have 25065 miles on my bike & the tires are great so far.

johnb

Well I have been having thoughts on wobble at 85 & acceleration to 95. I developed a theory that aerodynamics may be the controlling factor. At my last meetup I noticed that my Venture had a much shorter/wider windshield than the other 33 Ventures there.

To prove my theory, the best way would to buy & install a stock tall windshield. My problem with that is lack of money to buy it. I had to come up with a different method of testing. With the same height windshield, all I could do is lower my body height to below the height of the windshield I have... so I tucked my body down close to the tank like a sport bike rider & cranked the gas.

There was no wobble. I think I have found the problem with my bike. The custom short windshield seems to enable the wobble with me sitting tall in the seat.

Other than that, I now have 25065 miles on my bike & the tires are great so far.

johnb

I don't think so. I have the stock windshield. As I said before I haven't had a chance to get much solo time because of the weather here in the great northwest, but with my wife at pillion I could not get a wobble at least up to 92 mph. When I rode solo I thought maybe just a tinge, but again I haven't had the opportunity to solo it yet. I do hope to this weekend. It will be cool, but as long as it doesn't snow again I'll get in some test riding.

• 3 weeks later...
I have the short extra wide shield, i don't have any wobble.

I have the kumho(32 psi) on back and Avon cobra radial(36 psi) on frount.

no issues.

Gregg

I truly believe the key is in the tires. I have the Pirelli, but a radial up front may just be the answer.

I'll have to wait to find out, cause I figure the Pirelli should be good for about 20,000 more miles.

Until then I'll just slow down a little.

:2cents:

Been reading with great interest beings what my front Avon Venom is about ready to be replaced. I had considerable wobble at first, but now after about 6K, I have not noticed a wobble in a long time. I think I'm going to go with the MT66 Route rear tire and reverse it for the front. I'm also running the Kuhmo on the rear.

Glenn

First_N_Last - are you going to make it up to Freebird's MD this year ?

Hi Richard;

I am not going to the June maintenance day in Ohio. Too many things already scheduled this year. Maybe next year????

Still have a wobble above 85mph. Current pressures are 36 for the Viper on the front & 36 for the Kumho on the rear.

I'm taking off on a trip to Rochester, NY tomorrow AM & will end up putting about 1500 miles in 5 days. All my relatives seem to be getting cancer lately. I need to see them while I can. Multiple trips planned, which prevent an Ohio MD.

john

• 1 month later...

June 29, 2010 LOG

----------------------------------------------------------

2008 RSV

Mileage: 27543

Front Avon installed at 24296 miles

27543-24296=3247)

Rear Kumho installed at 21201

27543-21201=6342)

Rear Shock Pressure: 20

Front Shock Pressure: 0

Lust Suspension Jack-Up Leveling Links

Front Tire: Avon Venom 150/80B-16

AM42 - Rear Tire mounted reverse

Date code: 4309

Max pressure: 50 Made In England

Set pressure: 36

Set pressure: 52

no wobble

As you lower the tire pressure below 50psi to as low as 32psi, the wobble problem returns, increases & the speed that the wobble becomes dangerous lowers. At 50psi the bike handling becomes what it should be... stable, grabbing & fast. My last tune will be a tall windshield attempt to check handling at speeds no one should ever travel at on these bikes, but...

Front Avon tire & rear Kumho have very little sign of wear.

johnb

Edited by First_N_Last

Are you not concerned about the over inflation:think:

Of course I am concerned, but my wobble/swing problem seems to be some sort of Kumho tire problem which is fixed by over inflation. That fact makes me feel much better about the rest of my bike & it's equipment.

It may just be that some Kumho tires are fine on our bikes & some are not. The handling difference for me between 32 psi & 50psi is incredible. The bike has great handling with 50psi. I hope to get by until this fall & replace my rear Kumho with an Avon Venom AM42 150/90BH-15 80H.

I am almost done with my CT experiment. For my riding style, handling expectations & the roads I frequently ride on, the Kumho CT just doesn't do it.

:95:

JohnB.

Of course I am concerned, but my wobble/swing problem seems to be some sort of Kumho tire problem which is fixed by over inflation. That fact makes me feel much better about the rest of my bike & it's equipment.

It may just be that some Kumho tires are fine on our bikes & some are not. The handling difference for me between 32 psi & 50psi is incredible. The bike has great handling with 50psi. I hope to get by until this fall & replace my rear Kumho with an Avon Venom AM42 150/90BH-15 80H.

I am almost done with my CT experiment. For my riding style, handling expectations & the roads I frequently ride on, the Kumho CT just doesn't do it.

:95:

JohnB.

You know, it almost has to be the sidewalls of the CT. I'm happy with mine as I don't get any wobble til 87mph/gps and I've said I don't need to go that fast any who. Sorry it didn't work out for ya.

You know, it almost has to be the sidewalls of the CT. I'm happy with mine as I don't get any wobble til 87mph/gps and I've said I don't need to go that fast any who. Sorry it didn't work out for ya.

No worries, Ill still be putting my logs into this thread with some pictures of the tire wear also. Before I change out my Kumho, I will probably have at least 13000 miles on it. This is about the life of a stock tire, so no heartache for me. If I didn't have an s curve on my way to work with 30 degree angles and some 1 foot dips with a stiff bump in the middle of the 3 curves, I would probably be OK with the Kumho & just enjoy the increased mileage.

Damn poor Richmond, VA expressway roads... 22 miles of drive each way to work with 10 miles of bad surface in it. Argh!

Oh well;

JohnB

now rick some folks have talked about doing this, but no one has. boy now you talk about sturing up the pot :Laugh:. now i have seen some pictures of early day motorcycles that have a c/t on the front. but these old bikes were a lot lighter than our rsv's. now as you or (may not know) i run a c/t on the back of my rsv. i for one am well pleased with it's preformance. but this is me, now as to puting a c/t on the front. this could get very, well you know. reguards

don c.

You know guys (aka Darksiders),

If you ride with a Kumho on the rear, why wouldn't you want to run a matching Kumho on the front? Or do they not make a 150/90-16?

Just curious,

Rick

I think that the only motorcycle I have ridden with a CT on the front & back was a 1939 Indian chief. It was also the motorcycle that i used to take the driving portion of my motorcycle drivers test.

The soft side wall flexing would worry me on a front tire & keep me from trying it unless some made a RunFlat tire in the size needed. I strongly feel that RunFlat tires would make a CT on our Ventures OK.

JohnB

johnb

Well...

I have installed a factory tall windshield & there was no difference between it & the short/wide windshield.

The only sure method for me is to increase the Kumho psi to just over 50.

johnB

Here are some pictures of my tires...

Front Avon Venom with 3697 miles of wear...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77333083@N00/4781549774/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77333083@N00/4780913073/http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4099/4781549774_090d4c53e1.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4135/4780913073_738c09bb3b.jpg

Rear Kumho with 6792 miles of wear...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4097/4780912523_653c7cfbb7.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4076/4781548344_323a246a05.jpg

Both tires are wearing fine...

JohnB